Priority Current Shimano 5 speed - First impressions

I am finding that I need my handlebar to be higher than I can adjust it. Is there some sort of extension that I can add that will allow me to have a more upright posture on my Current?

I am finding that I need my handlebar to be higher than I can adjust it. Is there some sort of extension that I can add that will allow me to have a more upright posture on my Current?
I'm surprised that the rotating stem in its almost vertical position wouldn't be high enough for nearly any rider, but I know for sure there are stem extensions out there that let you lift it up several more inches. Check on Amazon!

I'm surprised that the rotating stem in its almost vertical position wouldn't be high enough for nearly any rider, but I know for sure there are stem extensions out there that let you lift it up several more inches. Check on Amazon!
I have it up about as high as I can. I am 6'3" so maybe that is why.

Since you already have the adjustable stem almost vertical, a handlebar with more backsweep is probably what you'll need to get to a more upright riding position.
Yeah, probably. That sounds intimidating. What would such an upgrade even entail? Will the cables and wires reach a new handlebar? Where or what would I buy? Still getting used to the many sizes/measurements involved in this business. Do you have any suggestions?

I know a lot of devout MTB riders swear by "swept" handlebars, like the Jones Loop H-Bar shown in this list. But before you go that route, may I suggest further tweaking of (a) your handlebar rotation (so that grips are closest to your body position, and level), and (b) your seat (sliding it slightly forward by first loosening the rails underneath it).

In other words, bring Mohammed to the mountain (bike), rather than the other way 'round.

I know a lot of devout MTB riders swear by "swept" handlebars, like the Jones Loop H-Bar shown in this list. But before you go that route, may I suggest further tweaking of (a) your handlebar rotation (so that grips are closest to your body position, and level), and (b) your seat (sliding it slightly forward by first loosening the rails underneath it).

In other words, bring Mohammed to the mountain (bike), rather than the other way 'round.
I was also going to suggest this be tried first. The Current handlebar (at least the one that was on my bike) stem clamp diameter is 31.8mm, 22.2mm diameter at the grip, rise is 25mm, and the width is 680mm. If you rotate the bar you should be able to get the grips almost 1" closer to you. You'll have to loosen the stem bolts to rotate the handlebar and after that, you may also need to loosen everything else that is on the handlebar to rotate them to a position that you're now satisfied with. Maybe that will be enough. I ended up swapping out the handlebar the Current came with for a different one.

Yeah, probably. That sounds intimidating. What would such an upgrade even entail? Will the cables and wires reach a new handlebar? Where or what would I buy? Still getting used to the many sizes/measurements involved in this business. Do you have any suggestions?

You'd need to have some basic tools and be mechanically inclined to want to do the work yourself or you could have a bike shop do it for you. I swapped out my handlebar with one from Specialized that I ordered from a local bike shop that carries Specialized bicycles. The Specialized handlebar spec is: 30-degree backsweep, 26mm rise, 680mm width, 31.8mm stem diameter, 22.2 grip diameter. If you search this forum for "Como handlebar", you should get some hits on past discussions about this handlebar. The Specialized handlebar will work with everything that's on the standard Current handlebar and the cables will reach. Only tweak I had to make while swapping to this handlebar was to use a small cable tie to relieve some slight strain on the two cables that go into the Enviolo shifter.

Pictures show price I paid and part number info.

Attachments

• Specialized-Como-Handlebar-Part-Number-Label.JPG
    Specialized-Como-Handlebar-Part-Number-Label.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Specialized-Como-Handlebar-Price-Paid.JPG
    Specialized-Como-Handlebar-Price-Paid.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 204
You'd need to have some basic tools and be mechanically inclined to want to do the work yourself or you could have a bike shop do it for you. I swapped out my handlebar with one from Specialized that I ordered from a local bike shop that carries Specialized bicycles. The Specialized handlebar spec is: 30-degree backsweep, 26mm rise, 680mm width, 31.8mm stem diameter, 22.2 grip diameter. If you search this forum for "Como handlebar", you should get some hits on past discussions about this handlebar. The Specialized handlebar will work with everything that's on the standard Current handlebar and the cables will reach. Only tweak I had to make while swapping to this handlebar was to use a small cable tie to relieve some slight strain on the two cables that go into the Enviolo shifter.

Pictures show price I paid and part number info.
Thanks so much. I am not very mechanical and would likely pay someone to do it. Were you able to reuse the grips?

Back