Pretty Good Headlight

StmbtDave

Region
USA
City
Montrose, Colorado
My Wabash came stock with a Yamaha labeled 6V 4.2W LED headlight but I have been looking to replace it with something more powerful. Tonight was my first ride after dark and I was quite impressed with the stock light. At 15mph I didn’t feel I was outriding the light and I could easily see the road surface far enough ahead to avoid any obstacles. Perhaps the best thing was it was plenty bright enough to get the attention of the car drivers. The only thing I wish it had was an option for flashing/pulsing. I guess I’ll end my search for a replacement.

Last edited:
Just by curiosity..
Are flashing headlights legal in the US?
In Sweden where I live a lot of cyclists have flashing front lights but the regulation clearly says it should be a white continous/stedy light.

It is legal in Canada on a bicycle, I use my blink-flash headlight during the day and a steady/flash at night (like the one found on BLF-Q8), a home made tail light has 8 settings for flashing and a still mode, usually it`s set to a 3 blinks in 1 second and off for 2 seconds day or night. It is the blink/flash that tends to grab drivers attention and makes you more visible, I use a safety vest while riding and still had people tell me that they did not see me coming, really?

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_110615.jpg
    IMG_20190929_110615.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 464
Actually I purchased it on line, never seen it till mine showed up, and yes I do like to tinker about with stuff....sometimes i get lucky and it works out, sometimes I manage to find out how to let the "magic smoke" come out....:eek:

I just put my 800 Lumen Cygolite on my Wabash. It’s a nice improve mental.
I assume that's a rechargeable light that you use in addition to the stock light that's wired to the motor. I do have a nice bar mounted, dual beam, rechargeable headlight but given the option of running off the motor I would rather not mess with recharging after every ride.

I read a post where someone was looking at adding a Light & Motion Nip 800 (800 lumens, 12.9 watts) to their Yamaha but they were told (Ravi) that the Yamaha PW-SE lighting circuit has a max output of 9 watts that was less than the Nip 800 needed. The Nip 500 (500 lumens, 7.5 watts) would be the max he could use. I don't know the lumen rating of the stock Wabash light but it is 4.2 watts. I found the stock light to be plenty adequate for my night riding so I didn't feel the need for the $70 upgrade.

Dave

Last edited:
I read a post where someone was looking at adding a Light & Motion Nip 800 (800 lumens, 12.9 watts) to their Yamaha but they were told that the Yamaha lighting circuit has a max output that was less than the Nip 800 needed. The Nip 500 (500 lumens, 7.5 watts)

Another great option is Lezyne. It comes with all the necessary mounting hardware.

Another great option is Lezyne. It comes with all the necessary mounting hardware.

I had to chuckle/cringe when I read this on that site:
"Our e-bike lights are powered by the motor of an e-bike..."

🤔... I wonder if they have a YouTube of that somewhere.;)

I wonder if they have a YouTube of that somewhere.;)

Lezyne released a bunch of bike lights for 2020 and they also have E-bike specific lights.
Raleigh E-bike use lezyne lights.
This is their video but mostly focused on their main portfolio.

The Light & Motion Nip 800 (lumen) is compact, powerful, integrates well with ebikes and is low cost for what it is. It has various modes including plulse and highbeam as well as orange side lights.

Nip_Headlight_1.png

Lezyne released a bunch of bike lights for 2020 and they also have E-bike specific lights.
Raleigh E-bike use lezyne lights.
This is their video but mostly focused on their main portfolio.

I have a couple of versions of these. I think it is the 500 XL that I most recently purchased ... I always commute with a rechargeable headlight that supplements my main lights. I use Blackburn Centrals and Lezyne mostly.

I have a couple of versions of these. I think it is the 500 XL that I most recently purchased ... I always commute with a rechargeable headlight that supplements my main lights. I use Blackburn Centrals and Lezyne mostly.

They make great products. I own their tool kit, lights and floor pump.

Instead of purchasing a usb rechargeable light, I just installed 2nd light Lezyne micro drive 500 as the stock supernova was not enough.
Bosch system puts out 18W anyway, so why not make use of it right? :)

The Lezyne micro drive 500 says it has an Intelligent Auto Day/Night dim mode.
Anyone know what that is and how it works?

The Lezyne micro drive 500 says it has an Intelligent Auto Day/Night dim mode.
Anyone know what that is and how it works?

I'm assuming its a light sensor. My Haibike headlight (not a Lezyne) has one and on commutes in the dark, the light will dim anytime I stop under a street lamp for example. Sometimes its a bit annoying when commuting in the dark but on well-lit streets because the headlight keeps changing intensity as I pass under street lights (I'd just prefer it stay at its brightest). I'm going to assume the Lezyne does something similar. I also noticed that Lezyne has a smartphone app such that you can control some of their newer lights (set modes and what not) from your phone. I don't have much use for that but some folks might.

I'm assuming its a light sensor. My Haibike headlight (not a Lezyne) has one and on commutes in the dark, the light will dim anytime I stop under a street lamp for example. Sometimes its a bit annoying when commuting in the dark but on well-lit streets because the headlight keeps changing intensity as I pass under street lights (I'd just prefer it stay at its brightest). I'm going to assume the Lezyne does something similar. I also noticed that Lezyne has a smartphone app such that you can control some of their newer lights (set modes and what not) from your phone. I don't have much use for that but some folks might.

I just ordered it. Gonna swap out the integrated Kendo light that came with my haibike.

I have this light and like it a lot.

Back