Power assist

stan staats

Has anyone like me disabled the power assist function? Is there any problem with doing that? I found the pedal assist bothersome because it would give be a blast of power when I wasn't ready for it. I am happy with the way it works now. I have an older 750w Wallke and I couldn't find a way to turn off the assist without turning the throttle off. I have a twist grip throttle and now I pedal or throttle at will, mix or match and it works great. I was trained on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and I much prefer to throttle up when I need it or pedal assist the motor when I need it. Do the newer Wallke's allow one to turn off the power assist and still give you the throttle function?

Wallke X3 Pro 3 Modes For Riding
  • ECO mode: twisting the throttle with pure electric power.
  • PAS mode: Pedaling with the power assist. Riding will be easier and more energy-efficient.
  • SPORTS mode: Pedaling without electric power. Exercise whenever you want (or the battery run out), burn more body calories!
Do the newer Wallke's allow one to turn off the power assist and still give you the throttle function?
I have confirmed with the technicians. The X3 Pro(newer) not allow to turn off the power assist and still give you the throttle function. The only way is to loose the sensor wire and the pedal assist will turn off.

Thank you for the reply. It's great to get a for sure answer. It looks like one could remove the sensor from around the crank if one could get the petal off the crank shaft but my gear puller wouldn't budge the pedal arm. It's really on there tight. I cut the wire coming from the sensor and carefully separated and insulated the hot ends to make sure it couldn't short out or go to ground.
Thanks again for the expert advise. I love my Wallke. It turns heads everywhere I go and it works just like it should in the heavy brush and sand trails I mostly ride on. There are a lot of Ebikes out now but I would buy this exact model again if I could. Also, the alloy rims are the best for heavy trail riding, spokes wouldn't do well with the sticks and sagebrush I encounter in my off road rides.

Last edited:
Yes, you can remove the sensor from around the crank. Since the loose wire do not play well with dirt, grime, sand, or salt – common substances you may splash onto your electric bicycle when riding in rainy weather.
With this in mind, we recommend that you unplug the PAS cable on the controller. If you notice any terminal pins that are broken, or are badly corroded, you will need to replace the affected harness or component(s) before continuing. [If you notice any moisture, dirtm or damage,take photos and contact us ]

Attachments

• PAS.png
    PAS.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 407
  • PAS(Controller).png
    PAS(Controller).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 438
Thanks for the great advise. It's just awesome to have access to such expertise .
My bike doesn't have a connector plug down by the crank. I'll pop it open tomorrow and see if I can find the plug at the controller.
Thanks again.

Wouldn’t it be better to unplug it and test that first or use the advanced menu to decrease the power settings?

Wouldn’t it be better to unplug it and test that first or use the advanced menu to decrease the power settings?
Yes, I'm sure it would be best to unplug it first. That would be the way to go. My bike didn't come with any instructions much less instructions on advanced settings. I didn't find this site until I had my bike for months. I really didn't want any power assist at all. I like it to work like an electric motorcycle where I can pedal when I want to and use the throttle when I want to, or use both at the same time for going up hills. I can't figure out why they built in the power assist except I read somewhere that some countries require it, otherwise it would require the bike to be licensed as a motorcycle.
Thanks for the question.
Stan

PS.
I use my bike a little different than most. I use it some on the farm to get to out buildings and to turn the irrigation on, but mostly I use it to take my dogs for runs on trails and ditch bank roads. They are mini-aussies and can't run very fast so most of my riding is done under 5mph. When I try to pedal with the assist it tries to go faster than my dogs can run unless I use the brake to stop the assist. That requires a constant power burst and braking routine unless I don't pedal at all. I love the way it works now. I'm short and the frame is tall so getting off when stopping is a bit awkward. When the seat is at the lowest position it s hard to pedal so I fitted the bike with a PNW Pine dropper post, a Crank Brothers lever and a Jagwire dropper cable set. Also I am trying a Spider noseless saddle. It is a pretty cool set up.

Here's the LCD display user manual. The User Manual below will show you the general setting.

See more in this link:

Advanced setting:
Press the up and down along with power until you see OK on the screen then let go and press the up and down again until settings come up, you should now have access to advanced settings.

i have been testing different settings for city and trail riding. By default you’ll have PAS 1, 2 and 3. You can drop the power on setting 1 to around 15% to 30%. This setting probably 20% will keep you at 5mph with a light peddle and you can throttle as needed - on the farm you can play around with this setting to give you more or less power - this also limits the throttle.

This is much lower than factory and is nice for a gentle start. I use it to actually start the bike moving with throttle which is great in the city and then increase my PAS to 2 for more speed and higher for SF hills. PAS 0 cuts all power to motor and no throttle but it will Regen which is annoying because if you try to peddle faster to 12-14mph it kicks in and works against you. So the only true all human mode is turn the display off.

The odd set up is that Regen only work in PAS 0 and 1. Which is really odd and I cant find any explanation in the manual.

i really wish they would reprogram these functions to be tied with braking - which would help your brake save on your brake pads as the Regen helps slow the bike down.

i have been testing different settings for city and trail riding. By default you’ll have PAS 1, 2 and 3. You can drop the power on setting 1 to around 15% to 30%. This setting probably 20% will keep you at 5mph with a light peddle and you can throttle as needed - on the farm you can play around with this setting to give you more or less power - this also limits the throttle.

This is much lower than factory and is nice for a gentle start. I use it to actually start the bike moving with throttle which is great in the city and then increase my PAS to 2 for more speed and higher for SF hills. PAS 0 cuts all power to motor and no throttle but it will Regen which is annoying because if you try to peddle faster to 12-14mph it kicks in and works against you. So the only true all human mode is turn the display off.

The odd set up is that Regen only work in PAS 0 and 1. Which is really odd and I cant find any explanation in the manual.

i really wish they would reprogram these functions to be tied with braking - which would help your brake save on your brake pads as the Regen helps slow the bike down.

I found that if you change the PAS setting from the stock 0-3 to 0-5 that regen will take place in PAS 2 also. See here ---->

Last edited:
I just discovered that today too this is much better! Did 35 mile trip Around SF across the Golden Gate Bridge and into some real fun off road coastal trails in the Marin headlands - about midpoint I switched to PS zero through five and noticed going down a long incline in PAS two that I was getting some regen. Looks like your Regen was working down to 12mph on your video what is your wheel setting?

Attachments

• E54A12A3-B69E-4AA3-A038-643752F65E39.jpeg
    E54A12A3-B69E-4AA3-A038-643752F65E39.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 386
  • 6D795A3A-46BE-4F5E-BB98-B57E80520065.jpeg
    6D795A3A-46BE-4F5E-BB98-B57E80520065.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 376
I just discovered that today too this is much better! Did 35 mile trip Around SF across the Golden Gate Bridge and into some real fun off road coastal trails in the Marin headlands - about midpoint I switched to PS zero through five and noticed going down a long incline in PAS two that I was getting some regen. Looks like your Regen was working down to 12mph on your video what is your wheel setting?

I think it was at 28" also I may have altered the voltage and PAS % settings too when I took that video. Ive tried so many different settings but since ran the factory reset trying to correct the headlight stuck on issue I now have.

I think it was at 28" also I may have altered the voltage and PAS % settings too when I took that video. Ive tried so many different settings but since ran the factory reset trying to correct the headlight stuck on issue I now have.
I wonder if you can find the tech specs on the controller - if there is a specific headlight line from the controller - issue could be there. hard to believe the key disp would fry just one output and still function properly.

Back