Post pics of your Stromer here

That's a great color Overtoom. It's almost like Ferrari red!!

Hi James -- thanks, it was a little scary ordering it sight-unseen, as my LBS only had the black ones in stock. I wasn't sure if it would be a tomato red or a more Ferrari red. But it all worked out in the end; I like the color and don't mind the high visibility factor -- every little bit helps ;)

Nice ride @Overtoom
Start looking at seats, the OEM Stromer one is garbage, you'll find out soon enough.
Love the red :)
Hey, thanks, I'm digging the bike, but I do know what you mean about the seat. It's not as bad as the Coda race seat on my old Cannondale R1000, but after 30 minutes it starts to be a pain. What did you replace yours with? Maybe other riders could chime in here as well if they've replaced the seat?

Speaking of seats, I'm thinking of getting a new one (because yes the stock one sucks!) what seats should I be looking at??

Do you think they would have one for my application? Long fast rides? I always thought of Brooks Bros as more of an upright cruising saddle company

I don't mind the stock seat but it needed to be a little wider for my sit bones. I went with an Ergon SM3 seat and never looked back.

Of course this advice is meaningless since everyone is different. I personally hated every soft/gel/cutout seat I tried. I like my saddles wide and as hard as a rock, but flex. The only one that ever felt great and I could ride for over 100 miles at a time was the Brooks B17. Unfortunately I could not stomach the look of this saddle on a black Stromer, so Ergon it is.

I don't mind the stock seat but it needed to be a little wider for my sit bones. I went with an Ergon SM3 seat and never looked back.

Of course this advice is meaningless since everyone is different. I personally hated every soft/gel/cutout seat I tried. I like my saddles wide and as hard as a rock, but flex. The only one that ever felt great and I could ride for over 100 miles at a time was the Brooks B17. Unfortunately I could not stomach the look of this saddle on a black Stromer, so Ergon it is.

Ergon's design is terrific. I have GP-1 grips and they are the most comfortable ever. My next saddle would be SM3 and PC2 pedals (pedals look goofy but they are super efficient).

Speaking of seats, I'm thinking of getting a new one (because yes the stock one sucks!) what seats should I be looking at??

I've put 2000 painless miles on my Stromer with this Serfas gel seat.. A bit oversized but since I was traveling at 24 mph over some rough pavement on a hardtail, figured it was worth it.. Highly recommend.

Serfas also sells the same seat without the springs..

Ergon's design is terrific. I have GP-1 grips and they are the most comfortable ever. My next saddle would be SM3 and PC2 pedals (pedals look goofy but they are super efficient).
I use Ergon GS-2 grips and agree that Ergon does grips the best. No surprise the ST2 uses Ergon grips.

Just a warning on the SM3 seat. Its really, really firm. If you haven't already, expect to toughen up your 'bike butt.' After a couple weeks of getting your sit bones used to it, its like saddle heaven. Its no B17, but its close. I hardly even notice its there anymore. Whereas, on the original seat I was usually shifting around a lot to find a position more comfortable.

The SM3 looks a lot like the Stromer ST2 seat. I wonder if Stromer collaborated with Ergon on the seat as well, its just not branded Ergon.

I have the gp3 waiting to be installed, about to purchase the pedals too! still haven't shopped for my "perfect" seat though and good chance a Float may be in will be the near future. I get the float when i sell a car I have (and they are available)

Mark

I have the gp3 waiting to be installed, about to purchase the pedals too! still haven't shopped for my "perfect" seat though and good chance a Float may be in will be the near future. I get the float when i sell a car I have (and they are available)

Mark

Mark,
There is something called Q-factor [proximity of your feet to the crank arms] and its relation to cadence and energy transfer.
I read this on the Ergon's designers blog. The pedals are very close to crank arms to reduce this Q factor but some people use pedal extenders as well.
The REI has them in stock and you could try them before purchasing. Some people need smaller Q factor and some, otherwise.
Just like the grips, they provide much larger energy transfer area and reduce any kind of fatigue. Narrow pressure points lead to sore legs and joints.

Last edited:
hmm , I already use pedal extenders on my platform pedals. I was just going to buy them as cheap as I could find, might be worth it to buy from a place to test 1st. The grips are also also from REI so they are being "tested" too. Part of me thinks I want the 5s , thought I would try the 3's 1st . They didn't have these pedals at the Bailey X roads store...thx !!

The Avinir classic series is a great seat. It's comfortable and has some suspension to it as well. It also looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_20140802_055951.jpg
    IMG_20140802_055951.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 546
Nice looking bike! Makes me jealous, as mine is 2 years old and the last model..

Does the seat post really make a difference?

Back