Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never take it. Never needed it.

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Never took it. I do now.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • It's my primary transport. I plug in wherever I can

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Currently, my office round trip commute (including taking a longer way home in the evenings) is well within 1 full charge cycle's range, as long as I don't have gale-force winds to battle!
For leisure/weekend trips, I've gone as far as 36 miles without fully depleting, but have yet to get a real innate sense of exactly how far on average, I can go before the battery dies entirely. So I haven't yet attempted anything above 40 miles -- and if I were to, I would likely take the charger and plan a 2-hour layover before returning. (The charger is 5 or 6 amps, I believe and does a full charge in 2 hours.)

Never take it; never needed it. I'm not currently commuting, but even if I were I would not need to charge at work. I only wish that I had a bigger battery for longer rides.

It's one of those questions that opens up a can of worms. How efficient is the bike we're talking about? How many watt-hours per mile does it get? How large is your battery? How much do you pedal, and at what level of assist, and at what speed, and on what terrain, and under what weather conditions? ;)

That being said, I haven't come close to needing to take my charger along yet. I've ridden up to 27 miles in one stretch, and over 50 on one charge (two days in a row) and still had battery left. I have a 17.4Ah battery, which helps!

Reactions: JRA
I think I've only taken my charger with me once. I regularly ride 40+ mile rides and I've been on some 50+ mile rides, so I typically know how far I can go on a charge and you will too after riding the bike for awhile. The time I took the charger was for ride I knew was going to be very long, I was out of state and far from home, I just wanted the backup. The concern I would have taking the charger along as a regular practice is the chargers probably aren't as robust as the bike's electronics. Can the charger take the regular jostling from riding rough roads or trails? Are they weatherproof? Most of the better bike controllers are fully potted in RTV silicone, chargers are not and even high humidity can damage electronics that aren't protected. I'd really hate to get caught in the rain too. Sure there are good waterproof panniers, but they aren't moisture proof. Some chargers aren't cheap and some are hard to get.

Depends on the ride planned. For my commute, 18 miles, my 10ah battery gets more than half used up as I push the bike pretty hard and is a known quantity. I bring the charger with and re-up at work. I routinely get almost twice the distance out of the same battery at a more casual pace and don't worry about the charger for those rides.

For longer rides it would be more effective I feel to have another battery and skip the layover time. Or just get a larger battery to begin with which for my needs to this point I haven't felt necessary. Going forward it is my plan to get a higher ah battery though for the ability to extend my usual casual riding bubble. Mating that with my existing battery really extends my possibilities but would only be used infrequently.

One thing for sure is that I always charge the battery, even if it is only at half charge when done, as it is an unknown what my next ride will require and don't want to limit my options.

I purchased another charger to leave at work. I was carrying my charger back/forth between home and work; but, I forgot it a few times in one place or the other a few times. Much easier to have an extra one at work. I do have a spare battery; but, it is bulky, heavy, and I'm usually 15 miles average or 35 miles max if I take fun rides after work on work commute days.

Another plus is I can top off at work if I want to go for a longer ride after work or if the winds are kicking up in the afternoon. I also have the downside of +500 foot elevation gain riding back home and spring winds can be 10-15 mph most days with gusts 20-30 mph (always a headwind when I ride west home). The winds and inclines can deplete my battery in one work commute round-trip and I did ONCE run out of power 1 mile from home. I could only manage 1-2 mph with the 20 mph headwind on an incline with zero power.

I usually take the spare battery if I'm going for a longer ride alone and I'm pushing the range +35 miles. Not a big deal carrying the spare battery since I don't need my work commute stuff (work cloths, work shoes, lunch, coffee, commuter backpack, etc...).

I purchased another charger to leave at work. I was carrying my charger back/forth between home and work; but, I forgot it a few times in one place or the other a few times. Much easier to have an extra one at work. I do have a spare battery; but, it is bulky, heavy, and I'm usually 15 miles average or 35 miles max if I take fun rides after work on work commute days.

Another plus is I can top off at work if I want to go for a longer ride after work or if the winds are kicking up in the afternoon. I also have the downside of +500 foot elevation gain riding back home and spring winds can be 10-15 mph most days with gusts 20-30 mph (always a headwind when I ride west home). The winds and inclines can deplete my battery in one work commute round-trip and I did ONCE run out of power 1 mile from home. I could only manage 1-2 mph with the 20 mph headwind on an incline with zero power.

I usually take the spare battery if I'm going for a longer ride alone and I'm pushing the range +35 miles. Not a big deal carrying the spare battery since I don't need my work commute stuff (work cloths, work shoes, lunch, coffee, commuter backpack, etc...).
I did the exact same thing before deciding to go to a larger battery. A second charger isn't that much and saves the hassle/worry/weight.

I would dearly love to have a second battery, but considering, depending on the bike, the cost is a fourth to half the cost of the bike makes it pretty hard to swallow.

I think I'm probably just a little paranoid about running out of juice. I did that once (bosch) 5 blocks away from my house. THAT was a workout. Felt like someone was dragging the brakes all the way home. I didn't realize the system actually provides power ALL the time when on even when off mode is selected.

I wonder if there would be a way for these companies to make a cheaper dumb power pack that plugs into your regular battery. Of course the cost of the electronics in one of these battery packs is miniscule compared to the batteries.

I would dearly love to have a second battery, but considering, depending on the bike, the cost is a fourth to half the cost of the bike makes it pretty hard to swallow.

I think I'm probably just a little paranoid about running out of juice. I did that once (bosch) 5 blocks away from my house. THAT was a workout. Felt like someone was dragging the brakes all the way home. I didn't realize the system actually provides power ALL the time when on even when off mode is selected.

I wonder if there would be a way for these companies to make a cheaper dumb power pack that plugs into your regular battery. Of course the cost of the electronics in one of these battery packs is miniscule compared to the batteries.

You have to make an effort to run a Bosch out of juice don't you? When you get out a ways, you start monitoring the range readout a little more. I've never been below 2 miles left on the range when I pull in the driveway. Somewhere along the route home, I know when I'm 5 miles or so from home. If the range says 3 or 4 to go in Eco, I hyper mile it from there. Coast till it almost comes to a stop, ride at 7 or 8mph, etc..... Keeping in on Eco for miles is a lot easier than riding it at zero latter because you just had to ride more at 20mph at mid ride. And speaking of zero, walking and pushing the bike for 5 blocks shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

You have to make an effort to run a Bosch out of juice don't you?

Well... I actually would have made it, but as I was coming up the hill, I saw a dog limping down the sidewalk from the cross street ahead. I thought it might have been hit by a car, so I backtracked to check on it.

I wound up taking a different way home that was longer than I guessed and I was trying to push it to see just how far the battery would go.

Let's just say that I am wiser for the experience.

Well... I actually would have made it, but as I was coming up the hill, I saw a dog limping down the sidewalk from the cross street ahead. I thought it might have been hit by a car, so I backtracked to check on it.

I wound up taking a different way home that was longer than I guessed and I was trying to push it to see just how far the battery would go.

Let's just say that I am wiser for the experience.
The only mistakes we make are those from which we do not learn.

If I have to go to my boss house I will take it to recharge it then, but for the most part the charger states at home, worse thing that could happen is a lot of excrises coming home. But I try my best to know how far and how hilly the area is in going.

Rincon, where are you cycling that those resorts are??!! That sounds like a fabulous weekend away :cool:

And to answer the OP's question, for commuting to work, I take my charger but put it in a super duty ziplock bag. For fun rides; I just watch my battery gauge. You get to know what amount of miles is doable with a bit of practice and observing the tools your bike provides for range (if your's has those.)

I bought the Bosch travel charger to keep at work. Apart from work commuting, I haven't traveled enough distance to need a charge during the trip. My wife and I are hoping to do some weekend trips soon. Over-nighters of 100 miles or so. I'll bring a charger.

My Easy Motion Evo battery is 3 years old (although still has a low number of total cycles on it since I had a year of not riding at all). What I notice this cycling season is my battery drops from 100% charge down to about 93% within the first 3 to 4 minutes of riding. Then it's down to 90% within the next few minutes of riding. Because of these drops and the age of my battery, I just started carrying my charger with me. My ebike is heavy (to me) and I am unable to pedal it beyond maybe 1/4mi if I lose all assist. So better safe than sorry.

I'm actually now at the point where I'm starting to think about purchasing a 2nd battery and eventually sending this original one off to have the cells rebuilt.

Back