Police - questioning the power rating of your E-bike? or Ticketing you?

I noticed that one brand has a model marketed as the TICKET. Could you market a model of Corvette called that? Isn't it weird that people can have a car capable of exceeding the speed limit but not a bike? I have not been stopped yet.
I think if you ride in a responsible manner most cops don´t care. It´s not like you´re a violent felon fleeing
the scene. You pretty much have to do something that draws attention to yourself.

I think if you ride in a responsible manner most cops don´t care. It´s not like you´re a violent felon fleeing
the scene. You pretty much have to do something that draws attention to yourself.

True and false, lots of us have things that draws attention to the bike or ourselves...to not die in traffic.

What was the specific violation cited? In National parks you cannot ride an electric bike that can exceed 20mph on throttle power alone. Were you using throttle or pedal assist?
My bike did not have a throttle and it was purely pedal assist.
The violation was that I should not have used an E-bike and could pose danger to other vehicular traffic because of my speed.

This happened on that road, this lane at the right is the holy cycle lane???
This would be completely stupid and unfair. So if you would have used the normal car lane left of the white lane, everything would have been fine? I have my doubts, then this power ranger would have fined you for not using the cycle lane....

I think he was having a bad day. He was not aware of the E-bike laws.
This was 5 years ago and things have changed significantly in the last 4 years.

My bike did not have a throttle and it was purely pedal assist.
The violation was that I should not have used an E-bike and could pose danger to other vehicular traffic because of my speed.

I think he was having a bad day. He was not aware of the E-bike laws.
This was 5 years ago and things have changed significantly in the last 4 years.
Oh yes, that would make a difference, things have changed since then

Last edited:
True and false, lots of us have things that draws attention to the bike or ourselves...to not die in traffic.
Yup, I pay serious attention to not gettin´ kilt, having been run over twice. Wait, not quite true;
the second time it was more like flew over

This is the sort of bike that juz might git ya pulled over. Twin bats, & look at the size of the motor.
2500w, I´m thinkin´ it cud go a wee bit faster than 25 kph. Geez, I want it so bad, but i know there´d
be consequences.:eek:

Attachments

• 00X0X_2zjiTY4PxYPz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_2zjiTY4PxYPz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 279
One way to not draw attention is to have a stealth bike. Cutting off all the wires helps cut down on wind resistance too. A bike I worked on recently had a battery that was so huge it could only go 20 miles because of the added weight of the battery. It screamed LOOK AT ME - I AM ELECTRIC. The 1983 bike in the image can blow past it and out handle it. Cops just would not notice it and would ticket the other guy on the huge bike. Is there a wire coming out of your beverage container?

Attachments

• DSCF7489.JPG
    DSCF7489.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCF7496.JPG
    DSCF7496.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 285
  • 8301.JPG
    8301.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 298
This is the sort of bike that juz might git ya pulled over. Twin bats, & look at the size of the motor.
2500w, I´m thinkin´ it cud go a wee bit faster than 25 kph. Geez, I want it so bad, but i know there´d
be consequences.:eek:
Just go for it! What’s the worst that can happen?? 😁

For some situations it may not be an electric bike if you remove the display Or power it off. I had it powered off, you can't ticket me for anything...

As far as The Class stickers that's only for the law meaning after 2019 they require the ebikes to have stickers ; so if you bought your ebike before 2019 it doesn't need the sticker, b/c they didn't made them and it will Void the warranty on my ebike if I just put an off market not company approved sticker....

I have the MD1000 fat tire hunting bike. I got it to be able to climb the steeper BLM bike trails. It has the dual batteries built into the frame and large mid drive motor. I am "altering" it by setting the controller to 20 mph which also sets the wattage at 750w. I also removed the throttle. 750w, 20mph max assist speed, and no throttle. I should now be able to put the class 1 sticker on right ?

So far I have heard of one citation in the national recreation area but none on BLM. I called the BLM office and they said as long as the bike is class 1 I am good to go.

Anybody have any issues on the trails with what I am describing? I do plan on carrying my controller info sheet explaining the 20 mph/750w programming in case there are questions. At 61 years old and 270 lbs I will probably still be passed by conventional bikes on the trails.

I have the MD1000 fat tire hunting bike. I got it to be able to climb the steeper BLM bike trails. It has the dual batteries built into the frame and large mid drive motor. I am "altering" it by setting the controller to 20 mph which also sets the wattage at 750w. I also removed the throttle. 750w, 20mph max assist speed, and no throttle. I should now be able to put the class 1 sticker on right ?

So far I have heard of one citation in the national recreation area but none on BLM. I called the BLM office and they said as long as the bike is class 1 I am good to go.

Anybody have any issues on the trails with what I am describing? I do plan on carrying my controller info sheet explaining the 20 mph/750w programming in case there are questions. At 61 years old and 270 lbs I will probably still be passed by conventional bikes on the trails.
Because these bike modifications are relatively easy to do, some states, including mine, are now using a bike make & model list to determine it's class, not the sticker on the bike. I was questioned at a trail parking lot by a state park ranger who looked up my bike and found it was a class 2. Although I didn't know it, I was riding on a class 1 only trail. The ranger was more curious about the bike than he was concerned about the violation and I wasn't cited. As a mater of fact, he didn't even ask me to leave! He told me not to ride like an idiot and I wouldn't have any trouble. I can't speak for enforcement on BLM land though.

You never know what type of day a LEO may be having so converting a class 2 or 3 to a class 1 may or may not be "legal" in all locations.

As I fully transition into retirement I have some dreams of maybe traveling a bit with my ebike. But all this restriction stuff puts me off. States should realize they are cutting off their noses to spite their face as the saying goes. They are hampering tourism and thus leaving money on the table. What they should do is just say any rider having a bike with real pedals can go where they want to ( within reason ) but they MUST ride safely and sensibly ... OR ELSE. Just post common sense rules and maybe make the fines pretty tough for transgressors. This whole thing reminds me of back when ski areas banned snow boarders. They soon realized they were banning half their potential business.

In my past 4 years of riding, I have not had any encounters at all. When a LEO passed me on the trail, I just received looks of admiration with a kind head nod. Exactly true regarding 'do not ride like a reckless idiot' and you s/b fine (for now).

Other than the Bolton units that are reported to not last, there is an eBay seller that has two different versions(500w &750w). He told me it was a two layer printing process that will last...
-BB

Last edited:
For some situations it may not be an electric bike if you remove the display Or power it off. I had it powered off, you can't ticket me for anything...

As far as The Class stickers that's only for the law meaning after 2019 they require the ebikes to have stickers ; so if you bought your ebike before 2019 it doesn't need the sticker, b/c they didn't made them and it will Void the warranty on my ebike if I just put an off market not company approved sticker....
Strictly speaking that's not correct. California was the first 3 Class state in 2015. Bikes had to be stickered by 2017. The other states that followed there wasn't a 2 year grace period. Older ebikes aren't grandfathered in.

As for using the bike unpowered, that doesn't work either. Most places the criminal charge is trespassing. If an ebike is banned, the rider is trespassing even when sitting still. Same with any banned item, like firearms in a park or alcohol. You don't have to be shooting or drinking to be fined.

If an ebike is banned,

Then I guess the terminology is incorrect because I , you and others use our E bikes likea regular bicycle sometimes so then it should be called a bicycle with the advantage of electrically motorized riding (RBWEMRO) as an option ?? I don’t know this is really confusing... A motorcycle or even emoto can not ridden unpowered so their names or definition make sense.

RBWEMRO- reg. Bicycle with electrically motorized riding option

What if I drink a Pepsi that can b made into an alcoholic drink by a certain chemical released in a special way ? Does that make an alcoholic Pepsi drink 100% of the time or only when I had activated it ?

Copyright ©️ Ebiker01

What if I drink a Pepsi that can b made into an alcoholic drink by a certain chemical released in a special way ? Does that make an alcoholic Pepsi drink 100% of the time or only when I had activated it ?
I'm not sure its helpful fantasizing about hypotheticals. There's a lot I don't like about ebike laws and classes. I have posted on the laws here, not because I support or agree with them. I post as much factual information as I can so others can make a better informed decision. We won't get away with something due to loopholes and the people that write laws are typically good at what they do.

If a law is really bad in your locale, try to lobby for change. Either that or ride rationally, keep your head down and hope for the best. Some enforcement has started across the country. Law enforcement now know ebikes; we aren't going to pull a fast one on them. I can't imagine someone riding an ebike that looks like a bicycle and is riding it like a bicycle will have any problems, at least not at the moment. Regs and enforcement will get stricter. We'll have to fight or capitulate eventually. In the meantime ride free and easy.

Back