Police - questioning the power rating of your E-bike? or Ticketing you?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of the higher speed/throttle ebikes on trails with pedestrians BUT...
Not once in that article did they say what about an ebike was causing any problem vs a regular bike. Is it the speed or the throttle or what? The mayor who had to “swerve” would’ve had to no matter what bike the kid was riding.
People who don't have much experience riding regular bikes aren't able to quickly accelerate a 60lb bike to jump forward with just a gesture or a tiny accidental forward movement of the pedal...so there's that .

[

Then how about showing that specification?
Lol do we have another wannabe lawyer in the house? Prob every euro ebike sold is capable of going faster than its legal limit of 25 kph on flat ground, if you altered the firmware. No one is having a meltdown over that.

You should buy yourself a motorcycle Terry. Say, Yamaha N-Max 125. 9 kW, 125 km/h top speed. Throttle. The price's lower than a good EU e-bike. Small details are a driving license and insurance plus a helmet but I think even that is in your reach.
I thought we were talking e-bikes. And cycling.
We are talking ebikes and cycling.

I have MS so got the bigger motor because I thought I’d need it. I was using a wheelchair 18 months ago (for over 5 years). 250w wouldn’t be anywhere near enough for me right now, 1000w is for sure more than I need. I can turn mine down, I can’t turn 250w up. I use the PAS lvls as I need them, when I’m back to or somewhere near full strength I’d like to get a lighter/smaller motor ebike. Hopefully demand and stock are somewhere near each other by then. I wouldn’t even try to get a new bike right now. When you get motorbikes the one you just bought gets old/too slow real quick. Before you know it your looking @ bigger bikes because you have to factor in traffic speeds all day every day instead of just sometimes as you do on a ebike.

Are we still talking bikes?? 🤓😏
Oh yes. "Hard law but still law". I suffer from arteriosclerosis, blood overpressure and insulin resistance but I don't complain on power limits of EU e-bikes. I even bought me an S-Pedelec to ride faster. Registered, insured.

Last edited by a moderator:
So explain the example I used for it being illegal to do 21mph going up the hill but cool to 30 mph coming back down. Harsh law? Dumb as hell!
Your bouncing around too much for me. We’re talking bikes, then me whining and now Roman crap!

You tried to say “even I could manage” in your last post. You know what they say about “trying” to put people down. I know when I come across that crap in life.

Funny timing for this topic, since I was pulled over riding yesterday by a Pennsylvania State Trooper. I was out riding on local suburban roads, and we've been dealing with quite a bit of melting snow, so yesterday was the first day I could really safely ride since the snow had receded from the edge of the roads. Anyway, I passed the Trooper once while he was issuing a ticket to the driver of a car he'd pulled over. About 20 minutes later, I noticed a long line of cars behind me in my rear-view and it startled me as the lead car was very close and just NOT passing despite the oncoming lane being clear. It turns out the 2nd or 3rd car in the line behind me was the same Trooper and he must have noticed my bike wiggle as I became startled at the realization that so many cars were held up behind me and this one car. He passed along with the other cars and when I rounded the next bend he had pulled into a driveway and motioned for me to stop and come over. I was sure he was going to ask about the bike and it's motor, but he just said that he'd been following behind me for a distance to make sure other cars were making safe passes around me. Totally caught me off guard.....but I gave him a big thanks and went on my way. I don't even think he gave my bike a second look or any consideration that it was an e-bike.
Don't worry if you are in VA and get pulled over, you will be ticketed if possible( if its superfluous or stupid ticketing you are supposed to either pay your fine or argue with the traffic judge.)

So explain the example I used for it being illegal to do 21mph going up the hill but cool to 30 mph coming back down. Harsh law? Dumb as hell!
Your bouncing around too much for me. We’re talking bikes, then me whining and now Roman crap!

You tried to say “even I could manage” in your last post. You know what they say about “trying” to put people down. I know when I come across that crap in life.
The keyword is "pedal assisted". Not "electric". You can ride as fast as you want provided it is not the outcome of electric pedalling assistance. If you can outpedal your 15.5 mph motor, that's fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once when I riding my bike on the bike lane in Yellowstone national park, I was fined $150.
E-bikes are legal to ride on roads in many of the national parks but I was riding at 25mph and the ranger must have followed me for about 5 miles and then he pulled me over and asked how I was going so fast.
The whole bike lane was empty and I was trying to reach the hotel at the other end before the sunset but he did not care and nor did he understand anything about E-bikes. He thought I was on some sort of motorcycle.

Most of my other experiences have been very positive. But, sometimes you do come across people who have no clue and in unfortunate circumstances like mine, riders may have to pay some fine.

View attachment 79300
Is it possible your stop was racially motivated?

Good thing you did not have any weed on you. Out here in WA, in the NP, they are checking people for even paraphernalia and fining them.
In WA. I have purchased while on a bike, but never had an ´open container´ I use primarily for the
benefits of THCA & use only after rides. I ride mostly wearing a blue windbreaker with striped sleeves.
Apparently there are a lot of folks think I´m a cop. children have addressed me as ´officer´. I am at
the community´s disposal should the need arise, but I am not a cop! People smile & are comforted
that i am patrolling the neighborhood, I´m like the unofficial constable of this one horse dorp.😇
Even the cops smile & wave.

In WA. I have purchased while on a bike, but never had an ´open container´ I use primarily for the
benefits of THCA & use only after rides. I ride mostly wearing a blue windbreaker with striped sleeves.
Apparently there are a lot of folks think I´m a cop. children have addressed me as ´officer´. I am at
the community´s disposal should the need arise, but I am not a cop! People smile & are comforted
that i am patrolling the neighborhood, I´m like the unofficial constable of this one horse dorp.😇
Even the cops smile & wave.
Impersonating an officer, eh?🤨

There are plethora of Class 3 e-bikes in the United States, while so-called S-Pedelecs are very rare in Europe, and belong to the most expensive class of e-bikes. (@jodi2 can confirm it).
Thanks for leading me to this interesting thread Stefan!
I had no idea of the international situation. Even if I like the idea of a 28mph Specialized Creo instead of my 16mph version, if this is class 3 and with similar restrictions for the use I prefer my class 1 Creo Evo, as I go really almost everywhere (in nature) with it.

In Germany (and I think in most european countries) we have about 97-98% e-bikes class 1 (with a limit of 25km/h or about 16mph (in some countries 32km/h or 20mph) AND max. 250watt). Then 2% class 3 (45km/h or 28mph and up to 500watt, but in peaks these can go 2-4 times higher watts, for example Stromer bikes) and maybe 0.5% class "I-don't-really-know" with rules and specs I also don't really know.
The rules where and how to use a class 3 e-bike seem similiar like in the US or Canada (but you also need insurance, license plate, bike helmet, drivers license). But the rules for the producers seem to be much stronger here, class 3 needs special brakes&brakes levers, lights, stronger testing procedures. What makes these bikes more expensive for the producer and also much heavier. A light class3 bike like the Creo just with different firmware/a higher motor speed limit is illegal/not possible here for the brands. That's why we have such a small variety of class 3 models, expensive for the producers and several disavantages for the riders.
Goverment controls for these rules are quite strict. Last year a dutch brand which sold the same model in Germany with 16mph and in the Netherlands with 20mph was forced to change their App for new and all already sold german models, as it was possibe to change the motor limit to the dutch 20mph limit just with a few clicks. Before there where several months checks in several cities if riders where using this option in the App and they where fined.
But alltogether there are still only few class 3 controls in Germany in real life. In some cities with lots of cyclists like Münster or Tübingen more, in others less. Often the police still does not know about the technical details of class 3.
I myself had zero controls in 7 years and 50.000km with my class 3 and about 1/3 in big cities/mostly Frankfurt (but heard of 2 controls in my city which I missed by accident). But controls will increase the next years and also the class 3 knowledge of the police.

Biggest problem/danger here with class 3 is, that law prohibits using most of the cycle lanes and forces you to ride an thee road. But most car drivers do no know this and just notice a slow and disturbing bicycle, while there's a cycle lane next to the road and they don't feel amused. Depending on traffic and wideness of the road it's much safer to ride illegaly on the cycle lane. Not to do so during rush hour in or around a bigger city is often suicide. But if you use the cycle lane and have an accident with another bike or a pedestrian (many cycle lanes here are for bikes+pedestrians), it's not sure how much fault they will put on you and if your insurance is going to pay, even if you did nothing wrong and rode carefully and slowly below 16mph. So you have to watch out and to take care for others even more on the cycle lanes...

Once when I riding my bike on the bike lane in Yellowstone national park, I was fined $150.
E-bikes are legal to ride on roads in many of the national parks but I was riding at 25mph and the ranger must have followed me for about 5 miles and then he pulled me over and asked how I was going so fast.
The whole bike lane was empty and I was trying to reach the hotel at the other end before the sunset but he did not care and nor did he understand anything about E-bikes. He thought I was on some sort of motorcycle.
View attachment 79300

This happened on that road, this lane at the right is the holy cycle lane???
This would be completely stupid and unfair. So if you would have used the normal car lane left of the white lane, everything would have been fine? I have my doubts, then this power ranger would have fined you for not using the cycle lane....

Most of my other experiences have been very positive. But, sometimes you do come across people who have no clue and in unfortunate circumstances like mine, riders may have to pay some fine.

View attachment 79300
What was the specific violation cited? In National parks you cannot ride an electric bike that can exceed 20mph on throttle power alone. Were you using throttle or pedal assist?

Including braking indicator and lit license number plate.
and also much heavier
Compared to Creo SL, yes. My S-Pedelec Vado weighs 23.5 kg, which is pretty normal for regular (low-speed) e-bikes.
Often the police still does not know about the technical details of class 3.
Same in Poland. Let's call the Class properly: L1e-B.
But most car drivers do no know this and just notice a slow and disturbing bicycle, while there's a cycle lane next to the road and they don't feel amused.
That's true. Still, riding with the traffic is faster and more convenient for me; we don't have the same quality of bike paths you enjoy in Germany.
This would be completely stupid and unfair.
I like Germany and German people. Still, police there is very serious. In 1990, I was fined by Duisburg police by riding a bike in a pedestrian zone :) As I was just in the beginning of my scientific work there (and on a half-pay initially), the ticket "ate" my daily food allowance :D

Impersonating an officer, eh?🤨
Not really, no badge, tac-belt, or weapon & have never accosted anyone for any reason. I can´t
help it if some folks jump to conclusions or are simply paranoid as some seem to be. If I were a
cop, believe me, I know everything that goes on around here.

Back