Podbike - A hybrid between car and an E-bike

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I thought the design was very good and the pricing is amazing too for the level of engineering involved.
If only they had bicycle-specific highways, purchasing this over a car would be a no brainer. Maybe we will see something like this in 2035 when cities get denser and the population in metro cities forces people to take bikes over cars.

It's hard to predict forever, but I can't see velomobiles ever being anything but marginal. Ebikes yes, cargo bikes, especially for commercial uses yes, but velomobiles, no.

They're in this middle stage between cars that gives them the worst of both worlds. Sure they cut down on energy per mile, but they cost far more than an e-bike in dollars and space. It appeals to the engineer mind that thinks only in watts and not people per square mile, as the long wheelbase suggests.

They cost far more than an e-bike. They go faster more safely, but not fast enough for regular highways; they go too fast for bike lanes and low speed city streets (sub 30 mph), and high speed city streets are inefficient death traps, which is why you see so many cutting their speed limits to 20-25 mph. They take up much more room than a bike so you have some of the parking problem of a conventional car. You have to buy it new at full price unlike a used car. There's no room for passengers like a car.

Beyond a few bike nerds, it looks like something designed to entice people who drive, and who like the idea but push comes to shove, they won't actually buy a velomobile. "I will never bike, but if I did, this is what I'd want!"

If you have a longer commute to work connected by 30-40 mph roads and ample parking, it could work. But at that point, you might as well have a car given the similar cost and greater passenger capacity. And none of these detriments show any sign of going away.

Only works for people who live in a building with the garage downstairs or in a house with a garage otherwise you have to park it on the street. It would not be too safe like that
. It would work if most of the cars are banned.

They cost far more than an e-bike.

Surprisingly, this podbike is going for 5500 EURO and that is less than what it costs to purchase a higher-end Stromer or even Trek.
If there is a protected bike lane or bicycle highway, something like this would make a lot of sense but we may not see bike highways in the US for some time but in places like Netherlands and Norway, this can happen sooner.

---------------

One of the famous Tesla YouTubers Bjorn Nyland put this video up summarizing his thoughts on this podbike.

A much better Sinclair C5! It's a very cool pedal assist car.

In 1985 there was the Sinclair pedal assisted trike. The commercials of the day never showed anyone pedaling, but from everything I've read you had to. I get a kick out of how easy the woman in the commercial picks up and walks away with the lead acid, deep cycle battery. Its obviously empty because I've heard the battery was about a quarter of the entire weight of the vehicle. We've come a long way!

Still I would worry in traffic. This slightly more recent take on the Sinclair shows an attempt at pedaling and riding in traffic.

1985 to 2021... maybe 2045 we'll finally be there with pedal highways? Or should I just say you'll be there. If I'm still kicking, I'll likely be a passenger:oops:

Surprisingly, this podbike is going for 5500 EURO and that is less than what it costs to purchase a higher-end Stromer or even Trek.
If there is a protected bike lane or bicycle highway, something like this would make a lot of sense but we may not see bike highways in the US for some time but in places like Netherlands and Norway, this can happen sooner.

---------------

One of the famous Tesla YouTubers Bjorn Nyland put this video up summarizing his thoughts on this podbike.

Ah that is pretty cheap all things considered... But the website says it's 25 kph? I suppose once you have the form factor, adding in a more powerful motor is only an extra $500-1000 anyway?

It is hard to predict the future.

When Segway was introduced back in 2001 (20 years ago), everyone thought that people will be riding some kind of Segway like personal transportation in couple decades.

But many people just walk, bike, drive, etc.

Image result for 2001 segway

I don't think it was everyone. It was a bunch of rich middle aged white men in tech who convinced themselves of it, and that's all that mattered to them. It was always very faddish to all but the tiny few who took it deadly seriously.

Segways are another great example of the worst of both worlds. Very expensive, but slower than a bike, troublesome to stow and secure. The bike is so good and the car so firmly established and subsidized, that it's pretty hard to get between them, aside from existing Motos and mopeds.

True.

And as you mentioned (that Segway was very slow), I think speed is the key.

Tora from Juiced said the Class 3 ebikes changed the game.
When Class 3 ebikes became available, people started looking ebikes seriously as a car alternative.
Yeah Class 3s are integral in the US where pedal bike infrastructure sucks. Where infra is good and biking is popular, i.e. almost exclusively places outside the US, the 15 mph ebikes are good for letting more people bike like they're 22 and fit. Or just to ride uphills without getting too sweaty.

on this podbike.
I feel i need a Chiropractic session just after watching him going through those little bumps🏎.

ItIwon't work on a lot of bike lanes ,
bike paths where you need to continue on bridges and you cannot turn it on a 180° turn or 90° turns on those paths;
It was not made by a rider/cyclist ; some techie in their cubicles ...where there's a bike path on a bridge you know we have to go up and left and right so it has much limited use but maybe it's good for a retirement community or some private you know private getaways, private island.

This little cars are becoming popular on the Internet and also their stocks are very profitable as an investment but as far as popular on the streets I haven't seen them yet.

There are about seven other companies that are working on this ; I think they will become very popular but we definitely need some kind of new infrastructure for this ones.

Reminds me of the long-awaited Sondors’ crowdsourced, 3-wheeled $10,000 EV... yet to be produced. ;)

1613449985232.png

1613450010340.png

Reminds me of the long-awaited Sondors’ crowdsourced, 3-wheeled $10,000 EV... yet to be produced. ;)

View attachment 79156
View attachment 79157
Lol this guy is determined to make impractical vehicles forever. He could've cornered the market with a solid class 3 commuter years ago but no

Another vaporware three wheeler...

It's hard to predict forever, but I can't see velomobiles ever being anything but marginal. Ebikes yes, cargo bikes, especially for commercial uses yes, but velomobiles, no.

They're in this middle stage between cars that gives them the worst of both worlds. Sure they cut down on energy per mile, but they cost far more than an e-bike in dollars and space. It appeals to the engineer mind that thinks only in watts and not people per square mile, as the long wheelbase suggests.
What about wet and colder climates? I can see a benefit in those conditions. I live in Wisconsin and would personally never consider using a bike as an all year commuter. But with something like this and the right road infrastructure......maybe.

What about wet and colder climates? I can see a benefit in those conditions. I live in Wisconsin and would personally never consider using a bike as an all year commuter. But with something like this and the right road infrastructure......maybe.
Sounds more like a you problem lol. Could be your lack of infrastructure but there are plenty of cold places with lots of cycling. I lived in one and didn't bike much during the winter due to multiple calls, but also because I could walk and take transit instead, and didn't want to mess with winterizing my whole bike or getting a separate one.

It is hard to predict the future.

When Segway was introduced back in 2001 (20 years ago), everyone thought that people will be riding some kind of Segway like personal transportation in couple decades.

But many people just walk, bike, drive, etc.

Image result for 2001 segway

I’ve seen a few of these zipping around town, but they were the mini version. Kinda cute. Reminded me of a sideways scooter.

I thought the design was very good and the pricing is amazing too for the level of engineering involved.
If only they had bicycle-specific highways, purchasing this over a car would be a no brainer. Maybe we will see something like this in 2035 when cities get denser and the population in metro cities forces people to take bikes over cars.

Thanks Ravi, for sharing this info.
My first thought: where’s the windshield wiper? 😀🙂
It’s so fascinating to see all the electric vehicles that merge the difference between cars & bikes. I’m sure each one has their niche.

Back