Please help me to choose an e bike :)

Flo

Hi !
I'm new here, i'm glad to be a part from the e bike comunity and i need help from e bike brothers, please.
I have an ebike from a year, a chinese bike with a hub motor, full suspension (not with air, the cheepest, coil ones but that's ok for me for the moment), with throttle (it helps me A LOT when i want to go very quick without to change the speeds), but it's with 26 wheels and i'm a guy at 187 cm height and 90-100 kilos ( 90 summer and 100 winter :))))
So, i want to buy another e bike, a serious one because i can't trust in my chineese e bike for a long trip.
My main problem is : i can't find a 29 or 27,5 bike, full suspension ( with air suspensions) who can offer me a middle motor asistance after 25km/h (my chinese bike can asiste me til 35km/h, after that i can speed up with my forces without a resistance from the motor) in my range of money max 4000 euros.
I need to put a rear trunk (carrier), fenders and a stand on my new e bike, and must be good for long journeys but for city to. My choice was Scott Strike eride 940 2020 but is sold out in my country and i don't know if i will buy from another country because i don't know if i will find after the purchase those accesories and the range extender ( he cand run with two batteries - it's awesome the ideea !). The main minus is that his new generation Bosch motor can be deristricted giving an error code - i understand it's my risk to deristrict the bike and i can asume that even i will lost the guarantee, but i need to be 100% positive that the tuning will be a success, not a fail. With error = i need the guarantee and a service, right ? Also i need to get 45km/h if i want with a suport from the motor. The bike it's twice heavy like a non electric one, so i want performance and speed, not to push 25 kilos bike with no sense.
Also i see Haibike sduro or xduro mtb but i can't put on them carrier and other stuf . Haibike it has Haibike Sduro s9 s pedelec who reach 45km/h but has an old generation motor , has no rear suspension and the price it's like a full suspension. I don't know what to say.
I see Cube Kathmandu but i don't like the design ( when you buy a new bike you must like first how it looks, right?) and Focus Thron 6.7 (weird carrier and limited Bosch gen 4 motor at 25km/h).
Riese and Muller is not for me because it's very expensive.
Also....do you think i can buy an ebike just with a front suspension and to put a seat suspension on the rear side ? I saw Kinetik (it's expensive for me) but it's good ot it's a waste of money ? He can do something for bumpy roads and country trips ?
So, brothers, please help a brother in need with an advice but please think that i'm in Europe, not in USA . E bike mtb full suspension who can accept accesories for long trips or a s pedelec treking model ? Do you know a serious ebike with throttle to ? You know how to tune without a problem a 4 generation Bosch motor or it's still a problem ? Maybe i will learn to live without a throttle ? :))) It's so nice to speed up when you need and when your bike has the rear carrier full !
Thank you in advance and please excuse my poor english. I try all my best and i'm waiting your help !

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes from Poland recently confirmed European countries have an L1-eB speed Pedelec class equivalent to a US Class 3 so you can get an ebike that goes 28mph/45kmh. You should check the driving license agency in your country what you need to do to register, license, and insure this type of ebike that appears to be treated in the EU as a moped

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer !:) I know that for a speed pedelec i must obtain a driving license even here in Romania we don't have bike paths (in my city not 10 meters of bike paths)
But i am interested to obtain solutions from e bike brothers ( brands and models) because maybe i can't see all the speed pedelecs models (ebike market has huge number of offers and brands).
So, if you know models in my price range, please give me a recommandation !
Thank you, best regards and stay safe !

@Flo, the main problem is the European L1e-B S-Pedelec is typically quite expensive (but not as much as Riese & Mueller). I will give you 4 examples with prices:
  1. Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0, estimated price RON 24000 (EUR 5000)

2. Bulls Bikes E-Stream EVO 45 AM: Full-suspension e-MTB, 45 km/h, EUR 5300

3. Trek Allant+ 8S, estimated price EUR 4660

4. Haibike SDURO Trekking S 9.0 (2020), EUR 4000.
If you can order the Haibike, that's the e-bike for you. These are formal requirements for Euro L1e-B:
  • Driving license, minimum for light motorcycle (category AM), or car driving license (category B)
  • Registration, including the number plate (requires invoice for the e-bike, and each L1b-E comes with EU Certificate of Conformity because it has the VIN number)
  • Insurance, as for moped
  • You need to wear a cycling helmet (not the motorbike one, that's only in the UK).
I have done all the steps with my Vado, which is the 45 km/h L1e-B S-Pedelec.

Now, you may go the illegal way if you have to. I recommend buying a Giant e-MTB (I own the Trance E+ 2 Pro), then buy an electronic derestrictor chip... I am available for private message if you need. Why Giant? Because the Yamaha/Giant motor is fairly easy to de-restrict.

P.S. It is possible to install a rack (carrier) on any e-MTB. Again, I can give advice.
P.S.2. Don't go for Bosch Gen 4 because you cannot derestrict it.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply ! I really appreciate !:)
I thought a 4 gen Bosch it's a new motor, lightweight and he doesn't action against the biker after 25km/h limit.
I already start a conversation, maybe you will reply when you will have a time :)

Thank you very much for your reply ! I really appreciate !:)
I thought a 4 gen Bosch it's a new motor, lightweight and he doesn't action against the biker after 25km/h limit.
I already start a conversation, maybe you will reply when you will have a time :)
I wrote a long private answer to you. E-bike life is not that simple! :)

@Flo, hi friend! See why I don't have much time now 😊

IMG_20200821_074631-01.jpeg

Early morning ride with Vado through a forest. Sand sucks! (In Tuczno, West Pomerania, Poland)

Reactions: Flo
Hi !
I'm new here, i'm glad to be a part from the e bike comunity and i need help from e bike brothers, please.
I have an ebike from a year, a chinese bike with a hub motor, full suspension (not with air, the cheepest, coil ones but that's ok for me for the moment), with throttle (it helps me A LOT when i want to go very quick without to change the speeds), but it's with 26 wheels and i'm a guy at 187 cm height and 90-100 kilos ( 90 summer and 100 winter :))))
So, i want to buy another e bike, a serious one because i can't trust in my chineese e bike for a long trip.
My main problem is : i can't find a 29 or 27,5 bike, full suspension ( with air suspensions) who can offer me a middle motor asistance after 25km/h (my chinese bike can asiste me til 35km/h, after that i can speed up with my forces without a resistance from the motor) in my range of money max 4000 euros.
I need to put a rear trunk (carrier), fenders and a stand on my new e bike, and must be good for long journeys but for city to. My choice was Scott Strike eride 940 2020 but is sold out in my country and i don't know if i will buy from another country because i don't know if i will find after the purchase those accesories and the range extender ( he cand run with two batteries - it's awesome the ideea !). The main minus is that his new generation Bosch motor can be deristricted giving an error code - i understand it's my risk to deristrict the bike and i can asume that even i will lost the guarantee, but i need to be 100% positive that the tuning will be a success, not a fail. With error = i need the guarantee and a service, right ? Also i need to get 45km/h if i want with a suport from the motor. The bike it's twice heavy like a non electric one, so i want performance and speed, not to push 25 kilos bike with no sense.
Also i see Haibike sduro or xduro mtb but i can't put on them carrier and other stuf . Haibike it has Haibike Sduro s9 s pedelec who reach 45km/h but has an old generation motor , has no rear suspension and the price it's like a full suspension. I don't know what to say.
I see Cube Kathmandu but i don't like the design ( when you buy a new bike you must like first how it looks, right?) and Focus Thron 6.7 (weird carrier and limited Bosch gen 4 motor at 25km/h).
Riese and Muller is not for me because it's very expensive.
Also....do you think i can buy an ebike just with a front suspension and to put a seat suspension on the rear side ? I saw Kinetik (it's expensive for me) but it's good ot it's a waste of money ? He can do something for bumpy roads and country trips ?
So, brothers, please help a brother in need with an advice but please think that i'm in Europe, not in USA . E bike mtb full suspension who can accept accesories for long trips or a s pedelec treking model ? Do you know a serious ebike with throttle to ? You know how to tune without a problem a 4 generation Bosch motor or it's still a problem ? Maybe i will learn to live without a throttle ? :))) It's so nice to speed up when you need and when your bike has the rear carrier full !
Thank you in advance and please excuse my poor english. I try all my best and i'm waiting your help !

Congrats on your search for an ebike.
I always suggest test riding as much as possible.
Please post what you find and your new ebike adventures.
Note: your English is good. I speak a little Spanish and realize the challenge of communicating in a second language.

Marci jo, thank you very much for your words ! :)
In my town we don't have a bike shop. Due the corona virus situation all is very weird ..... and my chinese e bike was the only way to go outside in the corona virus situation from Romania in spring. So....i just hope to receive a good advice and make a good purchase.
In Romania the commerce is not at a high level like in USA. Very rare you can receive a discount and many shops don't have bikes in stock. For the moment i'm waiting the new collections for 2021.....maybe i will find something good and affordable for me.

Congrats on your search for an ebike.
I always suggest test riding as much as possible.
Please post what you find and your new ebike adventures.
Note: your English is good. I speak a little Spanish and realize the challenge of communicating in a second language.
Marci, you need to realise a demo ride in countries such as Romania or Poland is hardly possible... I continue to talk privately with Flo, only I am far away from home now.

Ok thank you for that info. My mistake to assume that part of Europe had the same level of cycling shops as the parts of Europe that I have seen.
I’m always learning so thank you for the help.
Hoping you find an ebike that fits your needs!

Back