Can you help me find the best mountain ebike for me ?

miogi

Region
Europe
Hi there,

First thanks for reading,

Use of the ebike :

95% small commutes ( 10 - 15km ) on road and trails ( 50/50 ) ,
5% Longer trips : 50 - 60 km
Steep climbs where I live

Looking for a practical bike but if it can be really fun that's a plus.
Doing 25km/h and above on steep hills ?
40 km/h on flats with or without pedaling, chainring big enough to go above.. ?
Couple sensor more than cadence sensor
Good suspension
I'm 176cm tall and 74kg
Live in France / Europe
Budget is about 2000 - 3000 euros

Thanks for your inputs !

Don't buy a mountain e-bike if you mostly want to commute. e-MTBs are slow and are only good climbers.
You won't be able to pedal unassisted 40 km/h on a flat handlebar heavy e-bike.
Your budget is too low for a decent e-bike meeting your criteria in Europe unless you can buy some illegal Chinese imports.

A Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0, which -- technically speaking -- is a 45 km/h moped and requires registration and insurance is EUR5500. Yes, it will climb any hill and is a speed demon, an ultimate commuter e-bike. I own one so I know.

Don't buy a mountain e-bike if you mostly want to commute. e-MTBs are slow and are only good climbers.
You won't be able to pedal unassisted 40 km/h on a flat handlebar heavy e-bike.
Your budget is too low for a decent e-bike meeting your criteria in Europe unless you can buy some illegal Chinese imports.

A Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0, which -- technically speaking -- is a 45 km/h moped and requires registration and insurance is EUR5500. Yes, it will climb any hill and is a speed demon, an ultimate commuter e-bike. I own one so I know.
Thanks for your answer, yes I've been looking at Chinese stuff like the LANKELEISI X3000 MAX , but I'm doubtful as to there's no couple sensor

If you will be doing 50% trails, I think it is worth getting a full suspension bike...
But the budget is definitely small for a reputable brand FS ebike, and a hardtail would get you closer to your budget...

Deruiz (europe based but no resellers in France) Is coming up with a well priced Full suspension Step thru

Also check Bulls, although they will usually be around the 5000 level
And specialized like the Tero X also around the 4k mark

If looking towards china, look at Frey, they are the high quality chinese brand

Last edited:
Regarding the Lankeleisi e-bikes (that are synonymous to "Chinese cr*p"). Are you aware @miogi that there is a fine of EUR30000 in France if you are caught riding an illegal e-bike?

Unfortunately, good legal Euro bikes typically start at EUR3000.

I ride a Focus (German) e-mtb and it’s been great. I just checked their website (focus-bikes.com) and they have a summer sale going on. Lots of full suspension and hardtail options, a few of which are in you budget. Or, you might want to stretch your budget and get a good deal on your dream bike.

Back