Pickup driver arrested

I saw that bullet hole in the window and wondered what that was all about?
Yes, it is and entrance hole on the left, driver's side. The cyclists would likely be to the right. So, it could have been the cops. Who knows? In the news stories it says that the driver stayed at the scene. Because of a warning shot? More questions. Of the two who have died (so far,) one was a woman at the scene and the other was a man pronounced dead at the ER.

The one who died on the scene was 61-year-old Karen Malisa, a recently retired Elementary School teacher according to her family.
1677532523510.png

Very sad news. Very unsafe for cyclists on the roads out there. I bike commuted in Scottsdale for a while and saw some wild things and really bad driving and only getting worse with cell phone usage and distracted driving.
When we lived in Tucson, AZ, the driving was phenomenally bad on average. And that was in the early 1980s.

At the time, AZ was 2nd lowest in US population density and 2nd highest in per capita traffic deaths. Which basically meant that AZ drivers were going out of their way to run into each other. My motorcycle stayed in the garage the whole time.

Can't imagine what it's like now.

all you have to do is look at what happens to drivers who kill cyclists. often just a traffic violation unless there is proof they did it on purpose. it happens all the time. a car gives you so much immunity.
Certain things have changed a lot, though many are too young to remember. I'm thinking of the fact that being drunk was a mitigating circumstance in many cases, not only in the minds of the public, but even courts of law.

So slam on the brakes.
I would. Slam on the brakes! Were the brakes failing at the same time as the steering? F-that. Where is the skid? I would sacrifice myself before inuring 19 and killing two. Only one of the 20 was 'unscathed,' that person must feel like Shite. Forever. Survivor's guilt. As a community they are planning an annual anti-cancer big ride soon in the same town. This puts that all in jeopardy. And, what about the built hole?

I'm from AZ and am still puzzled on why this truck driver is incarcerated and held on such a large bond if what the press report says is true- Not intentional, not a hit and run and nothing mentioned of drugs or alcohol. Not sure on buying the part about the steering locked up though...

Something that hasn't come up was whether he was licensed and insured. And since it was apparently a work trip (getting supplies for his job) his employer could be on the hook for some of the damages if he wasn't licensed and insured.

That could also explain why he is being held pending the investigation.

Its not hate at all. I approve entirely of their approach to our Second Amendment. And as a cyclist I have been lawfully armed while riding.
I was referring to fooferdoggie's comments, which seem to show his dislike for Arizonians. Just wondering why.

I was referring to fooferdoggie's comments, which seem to show his dislike for Arizonians. Just wondering why.
There is a large cultural divide between the rainy bountiful Pacific NW and harsh arid places such as Arizona. Is nature your friend or enemy?

Back