Pickup driver arrested

Motorists were also stupid and functionally blind when it came to bicycles long before cell phones were commonplace.

In the late 80's and early 90's I commuted by bicycle in the Seattle and Bellevue area. This resulted in a couple of destroyed bikes and a few visits to the ER for me (though fortunately none of the injuries were life-threatening or even very serious). And being a pedestrian in a lot of those areas is almost as dangerous as being a cyclist. The most common refrain I heard was, "I didn't see you!" (well, I should hope you didn't) followed by "why are you riding a bicycle here?" as if I was some kind of intruder.

In many places where it does not snow there are reflective bumps between lanes that make a sound when you drift over them. I went to maps to have a look if this were the case here. It is not the case. But I spotted something else. A camera that would have shown if the driver was looking at a phone as he approached the riders on the bridge. Killing and maiming while looking at a phone does not make it any better.

A terrible tragedy yes…intentional?…I think not. A young construction worker on to more of the same Work. I believe the accident was on the weekend which means he was out celebrating late the night before (I hear the young do this kind of thing) and now pulling a trailer with no room for error in his morning drive…one text is enough. I’m not sure of his charges…but he stopped And that’s important. That Texas mow down a year or so ago by an affluenza in jacked truck was deliberate murder yet did he go to jail…I’m asking because I‘m not sure…I do know his family is ‘prominent’ Which means more than it should in present day America.

That Texas mow down a year or so ago by an affluenza in jacked truck was deliberate murder yet did he go to jail…I’m asking because I‘m not sure…I do know his family is ‘prominent’ Which means more than it should in present day America.
this is the last I heard of it

I'm not sure I understand your comment other than one state being a blue state and one red...
Culture has to do with an approach to life, the root is 'cultivation.' How one makes a living and more. Phoenix is not sustainable. It requires fighting nature, with AC and outside inputs such as imported water. Natives in the N.W. had abundance, in harmony. They cultivated their abundant natural environment. It predates red and blue. Potlach giving would never happen in a place like AZ.
1677635675838.jpeg

Culture has to do with an approach to life, the root is 'cultivation.' How one makes a living and more. Phoenix is not sustainable. It requires fighting nature, with AC and outside inputs such as imported water. Natives in the N.W. had abundance, in harmony. They cultivated their abundant natural environment. It predates red and blue. Potlach giving would never happen in a place like AZ.
View attachment 148087
Fair enough!

It's a good thing nothing bad ever happens in California or people might be tempted to point out some of the very few problems that exist there as well. Glass houses and such.

I want more disclosure. We know there are cameras on each side of this bridge. Where is that footage? Did the perp even try to brake? Did he show skid with marks or just power on, to injure 19 of 20, killing two. A 95% score is an A-plus when studying and trying for a test. He hit 95% of these 20 cyclists. Was it like a bomb planned by a terrorist in your own House of Worship? Premeditated? California is big, lots of stuff happens here. Both good and bad. 40 million.

The perpetrator, accused, has been identified.

Man jailed in Arizona crash that killed 2 cyclists, hurt 11​

Pedro Quintana-Lujan is jailed on suspicion of two counts of manslaughter, three counts of aggravated assault, 18 counts of endangerment and two counts of causing serious injury or death by a moving violation. Murder. What's with the bullet hole?
View attachment 147947
The bullet hole may indicate that he was trying to shoot from within the cab, but forgot to roll down the window.

Why so much hate for Arizona? Being a Canadian I'm puzzled by your comments. Is it a political thing?
I was in the army in AZ in the early sixties. At that time, racial segregation was still legal, and practiced. Two of us whities had a black buddy that couldn't go with us to most of the restaurants in Sierra Vista. But one old-time saloon keeper welcomed the three of us, so that's where we spent our beer money. Just saying.

One picture I saw there was a bicycle wheel stuffed in the grill. He probably couldn’t steer because people were stuck under the wheels. After looking at the pictures my initial reaction is he was distracted and just plowed into them at full speed.

There is a large cultural divide between the rainy bountiful Pacific NW and harsh arid places such as Arizona
a) my wife just got back from visiting her sister in rainy bountiful portland. she was appalled at the current state of the city compared to when she lived there.
b) she was so relieved to get back to harsh, arid az

Attachments

• 20200105_100520.jpg
    20200105_100520.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
a) my wife just got back from visiting her sister in rainy bountiful portland. she was appalled at the current state of the city compared to when she lived there.
b) she was so relieved to get back to harsh, arid az
Boom, says the guy from Yuma! :) I'm blessed to have grown up in a great state with reasonable men and women...

That was horrible didn’t hear about this accident until reading about it here on the forum even though I live in the Valley of the Sun.
This is not the friendliest place to ride a bike much of the infrastructure didn’t account for bike riding and the cagers don’t come across many bike riders it’s not a good mix.

On a web search just now, no updates in the last 5 days, and most news articles are 7 days old. Wonder how the investigation's going — and more importantly, how the injured are faring

As a retired MD with some experience in trauma, I'm constantly irked by the laser focus on the fatalities in multiple-casualty events like this. As if the mere injuries don't count.

The injuries are often permanently life-changing in ways you wouldn't wish on anyone. Even the lesser injuries deserve our sympathy and attention. Try spending just 1 week in the hospital with just 1 surgery, then a few weeks of rehab, and see how you feel about it.

experience in trauma
I would expect massive internal injuries and brain trauma with spinal injuries. Also lost teeth and broken facial bones. I also would like an update on the survivors. That is an ongoing story. Attorneys often advise people to stay quiet when there is pending litigation. Then there is HIPPA.

Back