Picked up a Haibike today, Xduro FS RX.

Shea N Encinitas

Finally sold my 15 lb carbon sculpture, aka road bike today, and threw down on a low mileage demo Haibike. After re-centering and tightening the display mount, doing laundry etc waiting for a full charge, I could find no other pre-ride tweaks to make, although I did fumble with the brake levers hoping to adjust the angle out a bit, will RTFM latters on that. While it seemed the battery was snapped in place I was lucky to have given it a test pull as it was not, a third push at the top mount and it was finally seated. I've only just tapped the bikes potential so far, of course it is really fun off road, back on the road and it quickly takes a map once getting me up to 20ish, more like 19.6. Funny because it is pretty easy to pedal once up to speed, and what a savings on the battery! Plus and Minus pedal assist levels are nicely graduated, and those hydraulic brakes are super sweet, capable of short stops, even lock up if one desires. Not a single battery subdivision was lost in a quick 8 mile warmup, and well I'm going to get back out while there is sunlight. Latters, -S

Very NICE!!! Share more... So why today, with all your looking lately, what other than the selling of your spandex spruce goose made you pull the trigger today?

So I was ready for my second ride when I spotted two goat head thorns, one is in the knobby, no prob.. the other in the meat of the tire, the kind you leave alone out on the road, pulled it and she slowly hissed, slow enough that I rode it over the the LBS, maybe a quarter mile - CLOSED, guess they take a few weeks off every year. Back home, mount the Dash head over to REI, about a half mile. Again with the brakes, so mushy after a hydro ride, ahh but the power! Picked up 3 650b tubes, yet another set of Ergon grips, and WTF a new backpack to haul the tubes, tools and water when riding the MTB around. I was not sure how the 15mm through axle worked, but it was simple enough - loosen, turn. This was the rear tire and while much easier than a hub motor, there was still a slight alignment battle, sans bike stand. At dusk I was slapping my lighting kit on and heading out for dirt. I climbed a very steep section in the lowest gear, lost my line for a moment but held on and powered through. A few jumps I tried, in the twilight lead to no air time and me laughing at myself. Been watching too many Stealth vids.

Very NICE!!! Share more... So why today, with all your looking lately, what other than the selling of your spandex spruce goose made you pull the trigger today?

The FIAT currency was just too hot, burning a hole in my pocket ;) The Stromer Platinum was nice, sturdy frame, hydro brakes but 26 inch wheels and a bit harder to keep up to speed (less 12 volts). The Turbos were beautiful and failed miserably as you know. I've never owned a full suspension MTB, and figured I should give a mid-drive a go, keep the Dash for speed and grocery runs etc, FS for trails. Also the bike is now listed as $5,200 on the Currie website. This one was $4,300 with some battle scars on the battery only, a demo bike, full warranty. Currie must have shipping and hazmat fees cutting into the margin.

I think the range on the Haibike FS RX will be quite good mostly because of the 20 mph cutoff, those few extra mph (25 - 28, 30) are costly. There is a freewheel cadence I hit that has the motor power way down, good momentum, high efficiency. The final reason I pulled the trigger is I know this bike can be modded - perhaps after the warranty period. -S

EDIT: Let me just add the shifting on this bike is great, would be fun to adjust the shift detection, but in terms of the lever action das is gudt. The fork lockout is nice too, does not require huge thumb pressure like some others I had tried. Will probably drive to a trailhead tomorrow.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase Shea! Enjoy it! A couple of notes, you should keep the display mount a little lose so with enough pressure it will move rather than breaking. It prevents serious damage to the display and mount if you crash, trust me I know from personal experience ;) also if you continue to have issues with flats you should consider going tubeless. Have fun riding.

Funny thing is WE took the Dash this morning, her obligatory Sunday ride. The speed is what makes it fun for me, passing the WW's ;) After some grub I'll drive (yuk) it down to the bush, where an FS bike is made to shine. -S

So I had a good experience on the hilly trails near UCSD, washed out the front end a little, so you know I'm leaning and bookin. Made some hill climbs that surprised me, a few drops that were right at my threshold of adventure, etc. Good news is that I was able to bail mid trail with hydro brakes, and my seat was still at touring heights (it's been a few years since MTBing). The dog leg in the top tube is vunderfull. The bike felt a bit oversized in overgrown singletrack and slow balance cornering, but really shines up to speed on wider open sections. I tried 3 times to get air but the shock absorbers, bike and rider weight seem to keep me grounded, maybe I should have tried the middle rear shock position. I also traversed a few wooden bridges knifing off one just at the end, then pulling full chicken on another (nowhere to put a foot down) but still negotiating a short, sharp, section where you basically pull a wheelie at the bottom to traverse to two inclines, fun stuff. I also found I could wheelie right off the bike with a slight incline and lowish gear. Battery was hardly tapped, so I guess I'll sneak in a 3rd ride today, eat, sleep. -S

Wow it sounds awesome!! New rides are always such a blast and this one doesn't seem to be an exception :D

Back