Phone Mount Suggetions?

sammcneill

Region
New Zealand
Hi Team,

It's been very quiet on this forum for a while! Hope everyone is doing ok.

Looking for suggestions for my wife's MultiCharger Mixte to mount her phone = perhaps a QuadLock or similar?

Interested to hear what people have used / recommended. She has an iPhone with a pretty generic sort of case on it for now.

Keen to know if your suggestions can be used with generic cases or whether they require something specific for mounting/attaching.

Thanks in advance as always,
Sam

Leave it in a pocket, purse, or pack. Enjoy the ride and be safe without a darn phone to fret about. I almost got creamed by a goof looking at her phone instead of the path and other riders and walkers. But I guess it’s the way it is. 7 out of 10 walkers on my front sidewalk security camera have their noses in iPhones. I’m personally struggling with this technology. Theses days everyone seems to expect everyone else is always available to text or talk. I miss coming home at the end of a work day and listening to my voice message recorder. Nothing was usually important enough to be or need immediate attention. When I first retired I pitched my beeper and iPhone. But 7 years of eBike kit support calls turned me into the iPhone monster I’ve come to resent. a wonderful tool turned addictive escape from personal interaction.

i did buy a small nylon pack with a plastic window that worked pretty well. A good spot for ID and cash too.https://www.amazon.com/Roam-Phone-Bike-Mount-Accessibility/dp/B089YX9SGX?th=1

Quadlock is reliable as long as a dedicated integrated Quadlock case for that iPhone can be found. The Universal Mount (or whatever the name is) using a 3M tape that is good for any case has proved to be a failed solution for me.

Thanks for replies to date.
My wife is interested in using phone for navigation primarily hence the mount point. I’m using a Garmin Edge 1040 across my bikes but that would be wasted on her needs. So a quick and reliable phone mount is what I’m seeking.

Thanks for replies to date.
My wife is interested in using phone for navigation primarily hence the mount point. I’m using a Garmin Edge 1040 across my bikes but that would be wasted on her needs. So a quick and reliable phone mount is what I’m seeking.
Sam, I crashed a way too many smartphones using different mounts. The Quadlock with a dedicated integrated case is the only thing you can trust.

I ditched my 'smart' phone because they make people dumb. That said, many people like the top tube (even if it is a mixte) storage bags that display a phone. It is liberating to navigate by using your awareness. That will hone your situational awareness and make you feel alive, not dependent. One young woman was on a walk in while looking at her phone to navigate, trying to find some bars, and stepped into a pit full of rattlesnakes.

Am I right in understanding that the quadlock mount on the mobile makes it thicker? Therefore slightly more bulky when pocketing? Maybe not an important consideration.

For a few years I've used the "Delta Hefty + Deluxe Phone Holder". Has various modes of attachment to the bike and is very secure.

Good luck with your choice.

1668817824998.jpeg
1668817849407.jpeg
1668817893947.jpeg
1668817931241.jpeg
1668817958681.jpeg

Last edited:
Am I right in understanding that the quadlock mount on the mobile makes it thicker? Therefore slightly more bulky when pocketing? Maybe not an important consideration.
The integrated Quadlock case includes the mount adapter moulded together with the case. Therefore, the case is of course bulkier. This or have your phone smashed up sooner or later (sooner, I'd say).

I've been riding my e-bikes with rather inexpensive smartphones for a long time. Any kind of a phone holder was failing sooner or later; I have never decided to put my expensive Samsung smartphone on the bars. If I really wanted, that would be the integrated Quadlock case. However, I went into the Wahoo world. The most expensive Roam v2 is US$400, it is lightweight, compact and very securely integrated. Why should anyone jeopardize their US$1000 phone? That's why I keep my Samsung in the back pocket on my jersey on the rides even if it runs software supporting my e-bikes. Generally, a smartphone on the bars is not the brightest of ideas.

Devices with reflective screens can cause sun glare issues under certain riding conditions. All the devices attached to my bars have articulating mounts which can be adjusted to reduce or eliminate this glare. For reasons mentioned above, I no longer bar mount my phone. When I did in the past, I found few mounts on the market that articulate to be able to avoid glare so I made my own.

The Otterbox protective case for my iPhone Xs came with a belt clip which I screwed to a 1" RAM "B" ball mount.

P1070991.JPG
P1070992.JPG

I used these RAM mount parts to attach it to the bars:

ramb202_img2.jpg

ramb201a.jpg

ramb231zinc_img2.jpg

The U clamp will fit almost anywhere on any bike tube and is easy to put on & remove. The mount is flexible, fully adjustable and can be used with other accessories as well. I mount my GPS, cameras, lights and other items using this concept:

IMG_0592b.jpg

two years, 11,000 miles with quad lock mounted phones, zero issues. rock solid. the new cases aren’t actually any thinner, but seem sleeker since they don’t have the bulge for the mount. they also support magnetic charging.

get the out front mount, not the stem one.

I was very interested in the Quad Lock's new Mag Lock, until I read it's not recommended for bikes. That's a shame, because even after using this phone mount on all my bikes for years I still have difficulty mounting my phone in place. Every once in the while I'll mount my phone like the people in the Quad Lock promotional videos do, but 9 times out of 10 it takes a couple of tries to mount my phone.
I've been using Quad Locks for years and the only time my phone has fallen off it was my fault. I was in a hurry and didn't mount my phone correctly (listen to the click) and my phone fell off while doing 20mph.
Luckily the phone survived with only minor scratches.
I agree with mschwett-if you're going to purchase a Quad Lock go with the out front mount.....and they're presently on sale. 👍

two years, 11,000 miles with quad lock mounted phones, zero issues. rock solid. the new cases aren’t actually any thinner, but seem sleeker since they don’t have the bulge for the mount. they also support magnetic charging.

get the out front mount, not the stem one.
With the integrated iPhone case for sure?

I was very interested in the Quad Lock's new Mag Lock, until I read it's not recommended for bikes. That's a shame, because even after using this phone mount on all my bikes for years I still have difficulty mounting my phone in place. Every once in the while I'll mount my phone like the people in the Quad Lock promotional videos do, but 9 times out of 10 it takes a couple of tries to mount my phone.
I've been using Quad Locks for years and the only time my phone has fallen off it was my fault. I was in a hurry and didn't mount my phone correctly (listen to the click) and my phone fell off while doing 20mph.
Luckily the phone survived with only minor scratches.
I agree with mschwett-if you're going to purchase a Quad Lock go with the out front mount.....and they're presently on sale. 👍
that’s odd! after a few days i found it just always snaps in right away on the first try. what i do notice is that if i try it while the bike is hanging up, or backwards, it takes a few tries.

i would never trust a magnetic only mount on a vehicle. need some physical engagement/retention.

What? No attitude indicator? ;)

I really like that light. I added an LED lightbar but a flood with that power would have been more useful. Howz it mounted?
Hey, what can I say. I'm a retired engineer / gadget freak. Actually, one of my GPS units does give me altitude readouts. 🤪

The Olight X7 is mounted with the above RAM hardware and this RAM adapter:

IMG_003038.jpg

Almost any cylindrical object can be mounted with the appropriate sized hose clamp.

The X7 is way overkill for trail or road riding. It will bind oncoming traffic, especially in the high output settings. I use it mostly as a tunnel light. I like it because it will recharge via the USB port on the bikes display.

P1060986a.jpg

It lights up the ceiling so I can keep an eye out for bats & other overhead hazards.

For road & trail use, I supplement the meager 500 lumen OEM light on my Pedego with an old Serfas 1100 lumen AA battery powered light. I'm actually looking for a replacement for the Serfas that has more output and will charge via USB. Any recommendations?

Maybe PM me or start another thread rather than further hijack the OP's post.

Hey, what can I say. I'm a retired engineer / gadget freak.
It shows!!!👍 I’m often amazed at your insights to practical design features. Concepts I struggle with are made simple by you. Your truck bike loading mod and ammo can are probably simple to you but for a dirt guy, well, amazing insights into practical applications.

Last edited:
Back