Pedego DAPU mid Motor

maria.owenby

I am planning to buy a Pedego City commuter which has a dapu mid motor.

I don't know much about this brand. Can anyone advice if it is a good motor or not ?

I feel shimano as a better option but it comes with higher price tag.

I love pedego bikes but don't buy dapu motor. I bought Evelo with dapu mid-motor. And that motor totally sucks. I hate internal gears, electronics and always creating problem. Not reliable at all.

If you like to spend your 70% time in Pedego shop for repair then it can be a good option.

I don't know much about this brand. Can anyone advice if it is a good motor or not ?

Dapu hub motors are made of high-quality components.
https://newwheel.net/motor-systems#dapu

All the hub motors that you see on Pedego are made by DAPU. It is a Japanese company with factories in China.

However, the Dapu mid motor needs a bit more refinement. The recent ones are a ok but the Pedego mid-drives leave much to be desired. It has some lag and takes more effort than Bosch or Yamaha motors.

Try a bike with Yamaha motor and you will see what it means to pedal a bike with very smooth assist.

Reactions: CSH
If you can buy a Shimano steps then buy that one. If not buy any mid-motor but DAPU. Maybe not any but at least buy something reliable like Bafang or Shengyi. I know so many companies stop using Dapu motors and it must be for a reason.

All the hub motors that you see on Pedego are made by DAPU. It is a Japanese company with factories in China.

However, the Dapu mid motor needs a bit more refinement. The recent ones are a ok but the Pedego mid-drives leave much to be desired. It has some lag and takes more effort than Bosch or Yamaha motors.

Try a bike with Yamaha motor and you will see what it means to pedal a bike with very smooth assist.

I totally agree. Their hub motors are very good. I enjoyed them but mid-motors. Hmmm I owned an Evelo and I didn't have a very pleasant experience with them. Guys at Evelo tried their best to solve problem but the motor system sure had some issues.

Stick with the Pedego e-bikes with Dapu hub motors. Stay away from their mid-drive motors. Last month I talked with Pedego store owner in my city. He told me he even don't want to sell dapu mid-motors as almost all e-bikes return with quality problems. I love Pedego e-bikes but it seems they need to change their motors on this model.

Agree about it. I won't be buying Dapu at least mid-motors. I heard brose are very quiet. Can you compare brose and yamaha ?

A German eBike magazine compared all the mid drive motors, except Bafang for some reason, and Brose was the winner. I think it's at ebike-mtb .com

Interesting thread. Evelo is selling a premium step-thru, the Aurora Limited Edition, which uses a Dapu mid-drive motor connected to a NuVinci E380 Harmony via a Gates belt drive. Dapu's site lists a MD250 (250 watts), but I've seen other companies selling a 500 watt version, while the Evelo is billing a 750 watt motor.

Evelo has a good rep for online support, plus a 4 year warranty. Hopefully owners won't be testing that.

Agree about it. I won't be buying Dapu at least mid-motors. I heard brose are very quiet. Can you compare brose and yamaha ?
FYI, the Pedego Conveyor comes with a Brose motor and belt drive, which is extremely smooth, and the Pedego Elevate comes with a Shimano motor. My wife and I are Pedego dealers, and she loves the Conveyor so much, she chose it as her personal bike. She leads all of our group rides on it.

If you like the City Commuter, but don’t want the mid-drive, the hub version is great, and if you get the Black Edition, the torque sensing pedal assist is nice feature to have.

Hi, I have a question about Dapu mid motors in general (looking at the motor in a Dawes Swift) and wondered how to change the wheel size on the controller. Haven't got one yet but was keen to see how easy / possible it was ?

I like Yamaha's mid motor a LOT !
Yamaha has been a long time established quality electronics and motor company with tons of experience in Motorcycles, Boats, Electronic Instruments, and the list goes on........... I worked 36 years for One of Yamaha's major competitors in the music industry, and both companies had high mutual respect for the quality and engineering prowess of each other, for all those years.

My 2cents worth.....
Craig 😎

Hi, I have a question about Dapu mid motors in general (looking at the motor in a Dawes Swift) and wondered how to change the wheel size on the controller. Haven't got one yet but was keen to see how easy / possible it was ?
This might not be the right thread for your question. The display on the mid-drive Pedego City Commuter is the same as on the hub drive version and on most Pedegos, so I doubt it’s the same as on your non-Pedego.

In case I’m wrong, changing the tire size on most Pedegos is easy. You hold the “set” button until you get into the settings menu. You then press the “set” button repeatedly to scroll through different settings until you get to the tire size. You press the plus or minus button to go up or down a size. When you’re on the right size, hold the “set” button for about a second, and it returns to the main screen. That’s it!

This might not be the right thread for your question. The display on the mid-drive Pedego City Commuter is the same as on the hub drive version and on most Pedegos, so I doubt it’s the same as on your non-Pedego.

In case I’m wrong, changing the tire size on most Pedegos is easy. You hold the “set” button until you get into the settings menu. You then press the “set” button repeatedly to scroll through different settings until you get to the tire size. You press the plus or minus button to go up or down a size. When you’re on the right size, hold the “set” button for about a second, and it returns to the main screen. That’s it!

FYI, the Pedego Conveyor comes with a Brose motor and belt drive, which is extremely smooth, and the Pedego Elevate comes with a Shimano motor. My wife and I are Pedego dealers, and she loves the Conveyor so much, she chose it as her personal bike. She leads all of our group rides on it.

If you like the City Commuter, but don’t want the mid-drive, the hub version is great, and if you get the Black Edition, the torque sensing pedal assist is nice feature to have.

Just curious, do you prefer the Brose or Shimano mid drive? Thanks.

Back