Pedal assist stopped working on BBS02

jfny1978

Region
USA
Me again! The pedal assist stopped working on my BBS02 after only 2 days of riding. I have looked through other forums, and I understand that I probably need to open the motor and check the controller wires, but before I go taking my bike apart again, I wanted to double check to see if anyone else knew of something I may not be considering.

Here are the facts:

1. The throttle assist works fine
2. The brake sensors work fine (I installed brake sensors on my existing disc brakes)
3. I have disconnected and reconnected all of the wires that I can see multiple times.
4. I have powered off and removed the battery and reinstalled it.
5. I have turned the LCD screen and turned it back on several times, and gone through all of the settings to see if I had somehow turned pedal assist off. There's a slight possibility that I am missing something there, but I don't think I am. There is no indication that you can turn pedal assist off.
6. The speed sensors appear to work fine. It showing my speed when I am moving, and the red light goes off when the battery piece on the spoke passes the sensor.

It could be good for me to open the controller and learn about that, but I just wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there before I do that.

Cheers!

Me again! The pedal assist stopped working on my BBS02 after only 2 days of riding. I have looked through other forums, and I understand that I probably need to open the motor and check the controller wires, but before I go taking my bike apart again, I wanted to double check to see if anyone else knew of something I may not be considering.

Here are the facts:

1. The throttle assist works fine
2. The brake sensors work fine (I installed brake sensors on my existing disc brakes)
3. I have disconnected and reconnected all of the wires that I can see multiple times.
4. I have powered off and removed the battery and reinstalled it.
5. I have turned the LCD screen and turned it back on several times, and gone through all of the settings to see if I had somehow turned pedal assist off. There's a slight possibility that I am missing something there, but I don't think I am. There is no indication that you can turn pedal assist off.
6. The speed sensors appear to work fine. It showing my speed when I am moving, and the red light goes off when the battery piece on the spoke passes the sensor.

It could be good for me to open the controller and learn about that, but I just wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there before I do that.

Cheers!
Where you messing with the settings and then found the PAS was not working or did it just stop in the middle of a ride?

Where you messing with the settings and then found the PAS was not working or did it just stop in the middle of a ride?
I didn't mess with the settings, but it's possible that a friend of mine did when he was taking the bike for a spin. It did stop working not long after he took it for a ride. He didn't tell me he touched anything but maybe he did :)

So after he rode it, the next time it was rode the PAS was off?
Yeah, come to think of it, I guess so. Also at one point the magnet for the speed sensor had fallen off, but I found it and put it back in.

I am sorry that I forgot those facts while trying to troubleshoot this. Sometimes my brain moves too fast. :)

Yeah, come to think of it, I guess so. Also at one point the magnet for the speed sensor had fallen off, but I found it and put it back in.

I am sorry that I forgot those facts while trying to troubleshoot this. Sometimes my brain moves too fast. :)
I don't think your friend could have done anything that wouldn't be noticeable.. Like a crash.
I'm out riding at the moment... But research the cadence sensor on the unit.
Also.. Check for error codes in the display settings

I don't think your friend could have done anything that wouldn't be noticeable.. Like a crash.
I'm out riding at the moment... But research the cadence sensor on the unit.
Also.. Check for error codes in the display settings
Thank you. I have the C500 unit and there is no error codes on the display, and none in the settings.

Here is something I noticed. I have the bike on my workstand, and if I use the throttle assist the crank arms move automatically unless I hold them in place. Shouldn't those be independent of eachother?

Thank you. I have the C500 unit and there is no error codes on the display, and none in the settings.
Ok then...
No the cranks should not move... When you hold them is there any force behind thier movement or is it like they are being dragged gently by the motion of the chainring?
I thought about it on my ride home... And I think the next move would be to drop the controller and check all the connections. There instances of a connection coming loose or sloppy silicone getting in the way. Be sure to check the smaller white multi pin one too
But maybe wait till tomorrow morning and see if anyone else chimes in with other insight

Ok then...
No the cranks should not move... When you hold them is there any force behind thier movement or is it like they are being dragged gently by the motion of the chainring?
I thought about it on my ride home... And I think the next move would be to drop the controller and check all the connections. There instances of a connection coming loose or sloppy silicone getting in the way. Be sure to check the smaller white multi pin one too
But maybe wait till tomorrow morning and see if anyone else chimes in with other insight
Thanks so much. I can easily hold the cranks so they won't move. There's very little force behind their movement. So yeah they're just being dragged gently. I think maybe that's no big deal.

I like your idea to wait til tomorrow and then get down into the controller. In the long run I will be happy to do it and understand a little bit better how that part of it works.

I hope you enjoyed your ride, and I appreciate you helping me. I'm learning through trial by fire.

Thanks so much. I can easily hold the cranks so they won't move. There's very little force behind their movement. So yeah they're just being dragged gently. I think maybe that's no big deal.

I like your idea to wait til tomorrow and then get down into the controller. In the long run I will be happy to do it and understand a little bit better how that part of it works.

I hope you enjoyed your ride, and I appreciate you helping me. I'm learning through trial by fire.
No worries... Awesome day to ride here in the NY
On the cranks.. I never noticed it on mine, but I don't think it a problem and I'll check to see if mine do it... If I can remember
Dropping the controller isn't hard but the wires inside are short and if they are not tucked in properly... They will fight with you. Take notice how they are folded in when taking it apart.
Also do a quick search.. A few videos out there so you'll know what to expect.

No worries... Awesome day to ride here in the NY
On the cranks.. I never noticed it on mine, but I don't think it a problem and I'll check to see if mine do it... If I can remember
Dropping the controller isn't hard but the wires inside are short and if they are not tucked in properly... They will fight with you. Take notice how they are folded in when taking it apart.
Also do a quick search.. A few videos out there so you'll know what to expect.
Sounds good! Where do you live? I'm in Kingston.

Haha. Nice. Well it's a lovely day up here too, so at least I have the door to my place open while I take turns between doing my actual job and working on my bike.

Haha. Nice. Well it's a lovely day up here too, so at least I have the door to my place open while I take turns between doing my actual job and working on my bike.
Start with the simple things first KISS !
Go over the settings on your display especially, any that have to do with PAS.
It is highly probable that your friend fiddled with the settings accidentally.
I assume you have th manual for the display?
Another quick tip, reset to original (default) settings for your display. My money is on that will fix the problem !

Always good to mix work and play...keeps things interesting.
Fyi... There is no way to disable the PAS system in the display settings.
If you haven't gotten a USB CABLE to modify your controller settings... I highly recommend that you do. Best accessory for the BBSxx
Here's an example: USB PROGRAMING CABLE

Another quick tip, reset to original (default) settings for your display. My money is on that will fix the pro
Thank you. I don't think my display came with a manual but I will double che
Always good to mix work and play...keeps things interesting.
Fyi... There is no way to disable the PAS system in the display settings.
If you haven't gotten a USB CABLE to modify your controller settings... I highly recommend that you do. Best accessory for the BBSxx
Here's an example: USB PROGRAMING CABLE
Thank you. Yes I plan on purchasing that.

The instruction manual for the displays seem to be classified as they are not the easiest to track down.
The bottom of the page has a version 500c

The instruction manual for the displays seem to be classified as they are not the easiest to track down.
The bottom of the page has a version 500c
Interesting. Thank you. That's pretty helpful, although I don't understand how it shows error codes. My best guess though is that if there was an error code it would show up right on the main screen.

Another quick tip, reset to original (default) settings for your display. My money is on that will fix the problem !
Can you post a pic of your display turned on?

Back