Pannier for Vado

Nxkharra

Has anyone purchased pannier for their Vado.
If yes please share the type and how it works.
How about Specialized Pannier? Have seen it? Do you have it?

Just ordered Specialized. Not sure it fits. Saw it on a ride today on Vado 6. They have discontinued it!
My dealer says it wouldn’t fit. Specialized guy says it does.
Dealer said to use Racktime.
I have Timbuk2 for my tandem but the top is too wide so it sags and might hit the break disk.

Just ordered Specialized. Not sure it fits. Saw it on a ride today on Vado 6. They have discontinued it!
My dealer says it wouldn’t fit. Specialized guy says it does.
Dealer said to use Racktime.
I have Timbuk2 for my tandem but the top is too wide so it sags and might hit the break disk.
Thanks for the tip, i looked at my rack and it does have Racktime engraved in it. I'll check out the gear on their website.

The Vado rack is appears to be similar to the rack/fender on my Turbo S. I use either a pair of Ortlieb Back-Rollers or a single Ortlieb Bike shopper. They are very water resistant and you can adjust them back on the rack so you do not get heel strike. I never had them leak during rainy commutes. They fit Racktime racks and have an insert to fit the smaller diameter Tubus style racks.

Vaude rear panniers fit very well:

I have a pair of Aqua Backs, and my wife a pair of Comyou Backs.
With a small padlock they can be locked to the bike.
Problem is finding a stockist who will ship to you.

(Edit) Seems their Amazon store ships to the US

Last edited:
The Racktime rear rack on the Vado is not ideal for hanging panniers as the tubing of the top part isn’t round. It’s more like triangular with a flat top. Seems like Specialized decided that fitting a topbox will be the most common alternative. Maybe it is.
It’s not a big problem though if you want side panniers. The tube is approx. 12mm. I choosed to use my Ortliebs without any insert in the hooks instead I put some rubber ”lining” around the tubed where the hooks hangs.
I had a pair of really old front rollers and got new wide hooks ( QL2 ?) for them. They’re only 10-12Lt each.
I then bought a new pair of Front Packers as they are a little bit larger, 15Lt, and they’re OK too but the lower ”hook” is positioned a bit too high up so it doesn’t point/grab the way I’d prefer.
Photo shows my right side bags.

1567856544344.jpeg

1567856858774.jpeg

These bags are mostly thought as front bags but I like the size for day tours. Almost always have 1 on the bike even for shorter rides.
Have an old pair of Ortlieb Back rollers too. They’re 20Lt each. Not sure if I will use them on the Vado. Have to get new hooks etc.

Last edited:
I looked long and hard before choosing my Arkel Orca 45. They expand and hold a lot. They seem very rugged, with heavy material, and well made.

Attachments

• arkel.jpg
    arkel.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 3,601
Great looking bike and panniers.
Do they fit well? Do they clip on?
Great looking bike and panniers.
Do they fit well? Do they clip on?
They fit very, very well. It seems this clip on system is amongst the most loved of various makes. I also got a separate strap, so they can be carried over shoulder. They clip on so fast and easily, and off, I got some little locks to keep someone from wandering away with them. The clamps are metal, unlike many other makes that use plastic. Super.

Attachments

• arkel 1.jpg
    arkel 1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,183
  • arkel 2.jpg
    arkel 2.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,134
  • arkel 3.jpg
    arkel 3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,150
Looks great. Thanks. I just need something for grocery runs. No touring at this time. No need for waterproofing in CA. Isn't this too much?

I also noticed your mirror. How does that work? I ordered this but changed my mind when I found specialized mirror which hangs down as opposed to be upright.

Looks great. Thanks. I just need something for grocery runs. No touring at this time. No need for waterproofing in CA. Isn't this too much?
I got a different set to start with, and could see they would likely not hold up, so returned them. It hurt to pay this much... but quality cost $. I don't do touring. I grocery shop for a the 2 of us once a week, which tends to fill these pretty full (would not want anything smaller). I use them for my work too, delivering shipments to the post office, fetching supplies. I really think going larger is better, because it's not like weight / bulk is so important on an electric bike. Sometimes I have both panniers stuffed, and use the top of the rack to strap on extra.

I also noticed your mirror. How does that work? I ordered this but changed my mind when I found specialized mirror which hangs down as opposed to be upright.
The mirror is fine. Because of the controller, I had to mount it a little further right than ideal, but at the worse I just have to move my head forward a tad to have a clear view of the road behind. I did try mounting it upside down, which was fine except when I have a bunch of big boxes and my safety alert pool noodle, which can then block the view. I'm sure the Specialized mirror would have the same issue. I'm not sure there is a perfect solution.

The mirror is about an 8 out of 10. I also mounted it upside down, and that worked better, but the view was totally blocked when I have wide boxes on the rack, or use my pool noodle for narrow road trips. I sometimes have to shift my head a bit to get a clear view, depending on adjustment. Overall, happy with it. Would not ride without a mirror on our roads.

Last edited:
After seeing all the beautiful pictures you guys have. I have decided to try the Racktime Talis bag and Racktime Vida Pannier.
One main reason is to match the rack on my Vado 5 which enables me to use the click in system.
Not a touring person now. Just for grocery run. I will use the trunk to carry lock, first aid, tube, tool,...
I can then easily remove the trunk while at the grocery store, lick the bike using the Otto lock, arm the alarm, and keep my fingers cross so deter the other interested parties to take the bike away...

+1 on the Arkel - I am using an Arkel "Commuter Urban Pannier" and it clips very easily and solidly to the vado rack.

I don't have a Vado, so I can't comment on fitment / attachment, but I do have an Arkel bag (made in Canada) and it's fabulous. Very happy and the attachment system is top notch. Really high quality product and well worth the price - it looks and performs great after years of commuting.

Well...I got the Racktime Vida and Talis. Not very sexy as some of you Vado brothers out there. But functional. Set for grocery run, and fun ride around town.
Old fart look.
Realize not ideal setup for touring which I will not be doing anytime soon.
Fits well and easy on and off.
Also stackable by removing four screws.

Attachments

• 8FE42317-533B-4888-A271-B2017EB3287F.jpeg
    8FE42317-533B-4888-A271-B2017EB3287F.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 2,235
  • 722CA27E-5573-4472-82BA-F73DFF8D8C30.jpeg
    722CA27E-5573-4472-82BA-F73DFF8D8C30.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,501
  • ED106ED3-46B1-4EB7-9FD0-7040A086C04B.jpeg
    ED106ED3-46B1-4EB7-9FD0-7040A086C04B.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 324