Pannier for Vado

I had a nightmare trying to find anything to fit on top of the rack. Tried so many products and had to keep sending them back. Eventually gave up and bought Ortlieb side bags. I chose the small size ones as still plenty of space in them. 100% waterproof so if you take your charger out with you it’s nice and safe. I only use 1 and even with the charger and heavy lock in it, you don’t notice it’s there and the bike feels completely stable.

I must say the Racktime Vida Pannier and Talis bag are very handy, secure, easy off and on, and light.
Agree some other water proof heavy duty bags are out there for those who want to do touring. But if just riding around town I give these 👍👍

I purchased the RackTime adapter and modified a Topeak MTX EXP trunk bag. The modification was a breeze to do. The most time spent was ensuring I had everything lined up to my liking prior to drilling holes. Pics coming soon...

I purchased the RackTime adapter and modified a Topeak MTX EXP trunk bag. The modification was a breeze to do. The most time spent was ensuring I had everything lined up to my liking prior to drilling holes. Pics coming soon...

Pics as promised.

Attachments

• DD08E810-7FB5-409D-8488-028BD627DCC5.jpeg
    DD08E810-7FB5-409D-8488-028BD627DCC5.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 1,118
  • 18EA3436-CE9B-480F-BB09-A7976E204DCB.jpeg
    18EA3436-CE9B-480F-BB09-A7976E204DCB.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • A568CFBD-7255-40BC-86FB-EAA182CEC9EB.jpeg
    A568CFBD-7255-40BC-86FB-EAA182CEC9EB.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 946
  • FC844903-87FD-4185-9EED-F68C2987D402.jpeg
    FC844903-87FD-4185-9EED-F68C2987D402.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 3413225B-7A9D-4A5B-A055-EEBE3471D413.jpeg
    3413225B-7A9D-4A5B-A055-EEBE3471D413.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 1,002
Any other suggestions for a pannier for Turbo Vado 3.0? I just bought one and a pannier bag, online, and it doesn't fit very well. I'm looking for something that straps down tightly and won't move around.

As my commuter on a Vado SL, I use this single rear pannier for my laptop, notebooks and other misc supplies and things. It’s a Brooks Suffolk, which is pretty much a re-branded Ortlieb Backroller, with a bit better pocket design, nicer closures and details and top quality materials and construction.

Mounting on the rack and easy removal is the same as an Ortlieb (uses the exact same hardware) which is to say it’s very good, with the clip inserts provided.

One thing lacking in the Brooks—the reflective patch on Ortliebs is replaced by elastic side pockets. I’d prefer to have both.

this Brooks branded version costs $9 or so more than the Ortlieb version, when purchased through BikeInn. That’s a savings of about $40 over buying on the Brooks site.

That adjustable clip at the bottom and the clip inserts in the top portion are what keep it snugly attached to the bike. And the handle is spring-loaded, so I just lift up and the bag detaches. It's all adjustable, so it'll fit most any rear rack.

E75B5B27-CC99-4B8D-B212-183264BE7F27.jpeg
E33FEB45-F9D3-4896-9C03-15250883F506.jpeg

Last edited:
Any other suggestions for a pannier for Turbo Vado 3.0? I just bought one and a pannier bag, online, and it doesn't fit very well. I'm looking for something that straps down tightly and won't move around.
The Vado 3 has a Racktime rack, does it not? Racktime offers pannier pairs that are compatible with their attachment system; https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/system-bags/racktime-product/vida . Several models are available, as well as a number of bags for the of the rack. @Nxkharra uses these. I believe he has attached a rack top bag to his pannier set for one setup that goes where he goes.

My wife and I use Ortlieb Classic panniers for local shopping and out of town trips. Very nice bags that attach securely. We also have a couple of Racktime rack top bags for smaller shopping trips. On our Vado racks we can't use the panniers and the rack top bags at the same time as the pannier clips interfere with the rack top bag frame. Our mech bikes also have Racktime racks but they have a 2nd horizontal rail that allows the Ortlieb panniers to be used with Racktime rack top bags.

The Vado 3 has a Racktime rack, does it not? Racktime offers pannier pairs that are compatible with their attachment system; https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/system-bags/racktime-product/vida . Several models are available, as well as a number of bags for the of the rack.

@Nxkharra uses these. I believe he has attached a rack top bag to his pannier set for one setup that goes where he goes.

My wife and I use Ortlieb Classic panniers for local shopping and out of town trips. Very nice bags that attach securely. We also have a couple of Racktime rack top bags for smaller shopping trips. On our Vado racks we can't use the panniers and the rack top bags at the same time as the pannier clips interfere with the rack top bag frame. Our mech bikes also have Racktime racks but they have a 2nd horizontal rail that allows the Ortlieb panniers to be used with Racktime rack top bags.

You will see that @Sierratim and @Stefan Mikes are great resources on this forum to know.

Attachments

• 1DDF32E3-2AAC-4DCC-A856-857F0AA38B2D.jpeg
    1DDF32E3-2AAC-4DCC-A856-857F0AA38B2D.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 624
  • D7C9DF8C-D34E-4F11-950A-1BD7C22096E0.jpeg
    D7C9DF8C-D34E-4F11-950A-1BD7C22096E0.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 489
  • 6F413B93-7C2F-47CC-BC14-6B9B7C8BA832.jpeg
    6F413B93-7C2F-47CC-BC14-6B9B7C8BA832.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Here's my 2020 Vado 5.0 with both the Racktime trunk bag and panniers, both work great! You can mount them together too, remove the 4 bolts from both bags and mount the top bag to the top of the pannier set.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_204323774.jpg
    IMG_20200702_204323774.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_20200612_184926587.jpg
    IMG_20200612_184926587.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 593
I don't think buying a Racktime-compatible panniers is necessary. Ortlieb with their QL2.1 universal mounting system are unbeatable, and you'll discover that when you own more than a single e-bike.

I have eventually standardised on Ortlieb Bike-Packer Classic panniers with Ortlieb Commuter Inserts. As I've already said, the QL2.1 is universal and easy. Just lower the hooks of the pannier onto the rack, then fasten the bottom of the bag with the hook and you're there. Want to take the pannier off the rack? Just lift it with one hand.

The panniers I mention are strong and truly water-proof (tested out!). The Bike-Packer Classic easily holds the large Giant EnergyPak battery (46 cm or 18" long) and the Vado/Como battery fits even easier. The Commuter Inserts convert the "baggy" pannier into organised and reinforced transport container.

I have never understood all the hype around the Racktime system.

Ortlieb (1 of 3).jpg

So easy is to mount the pannier on and even easier to remove it from the rack.

Ortlieb (2 of 3).jpg

Yes, my brother has applied some tape to prevent scratching.

Ortlieb (3 of 3).jpg

So spacious the Ortlieb Bike-Packer is: The Specialized and Giant batteries plus a water bottle. The Ortlieb Commuter Inserts protect the bottom of the pannier and help organise space. Not that I would recommend carrying as many as two batteries in a single pannier, for the balance issues. Just showing how big the pannier is. I can guarantee I could use the inner nylon sleeve to secure the pannier contents and give more rain protection to it. The pannier is eventually enclosed with a waterproof cover flap. A carrying strap completes the system (I'm taking the strap off for longer rides, so it cannot get in conflict with the spokes).

I used an Ortleib Bike-Shopper for my commutes or single Back-roller High-Visibility if I needed to carry a laptop. I would wrap a velcro safety loop from the top handle to the rack just to make sure there were no escapes. No matter how much it rained the Orleib bags never leaked. I used a plastic bag just to keep the clothes organized and separate from the wet towels and toiletries.

I don't think buying a Racktime-compatible panniers is necessary. Ortlieb with their QL2.1 universal mounting system are unbeatable, and you'll discover that when you own more than a single e-bike.

I have eventually standardised on Ortlieb Bike-Packer Classic panniers with Ortlieb Commuter Inserts. As I've already said, the QL2.1 is universal and easy. Just lower the hooks of the pannier onto the rack, then fasten the bottom of the bag with the hook and you're there. Want to take the pannier off the rack? Just lift it with one hand.

The panniers I mention are strong and truly water-proof (tested out!). The Bike-Packer Classic easily holds the large Giant EnergyPak battery (46 cm or 18" long) and the Vado/Como battery fits even easier. The Commuter Inserts convert the "baggy" pannier into organised and reinforced transport container.

View attachment 58426

View attachment 58427

View attachment 58428
So spacious the Ortlieb Bike-Packer is: The Specialized and Giant batteries plus a water bottle. The Ortlieb Commuter Inserts protect the bottom of the pannier and help organise space. Not that I would recommend carrying as many as two batteries in a single pannier, for the balance issues. Just showing how big the pannier is. I can guarantee I could use the inner nylon sleeve to secure the pannier contents and give more rain protection to it. The pannier is eventually enclosed with a waterproof cover flap. A carrying strap completes the system (I'm taking the strap off for longer rides, so it cannot get in conflict with the spokes).
Stefan, I do like my Ortieb panniers, but am continually irriated by how they limit my choice of rack top bags with the interference between their clips and the rack top bag frames. Why not both? My mech bike Racktime racks accept both Ortlieb panniers and any rack top bag as they use a 2nd horiz rail for the panniers. The Vado racks do not.

View attachment 58426

View attachment 58427

View attachment 58428
Yup. Pretty hard to beat one-hand, 2-second installation and removal. Is it possible those who say they don’t fit securely aren’t using the clip inserts that come with the bags?

Stefan, I do like my Ortieb panniers, but am continually irriated by how they limit my choice of rack top bags with the interference between their clips and the rack top bag frames. Why not both? My mech bike Racktime racks accept both Ortlieb panniers and any rack top bag as they use a 2nd horiz rail for the panniers. The Vado racks do not.
@Sierratim. Don’t you have Racktime rack on your Vado?

I'm at a loss about which panniers to get for commuting to work (new vado 4). I pretty much have to bring my laptop, laptop charger, some notebooks, lunch box, maybe lightweight raingear and also the vado charger (as well as thinks like spare tubes and tools to fix a flat, but that stuff is minimal and I don't think consequential).

I've kind of settled on Ortlieb as a brand, but am flummoxed by all the models. I think I'd rather not a rolltop (just personal preference). I'm not adverse to a pair (one side is bike stuff, like charger etc, other is work stuff). the commuter insert seems functional rather than just throwing stuff into a big bag. The bikepacker classic or the plus seems reasonable (and recommended in this thread), but seem much larger for my intended use. Am I overthinking this?

@Hextall, of all Ortlieb panniers, the E-Mate has been designed for you. Look at the YT demo:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgG8zwLBZc

1595436619135.png

It fits my Vado very well.

Bike-Packer Classic is spacious, true. If you equip it with Ortlieb Commuter Inserts (it is a single item despite of the plural name), you are perfectly set for your commuting needs.

1595436850920.png

The Bike-Packer Classic is not that big in real life on the Vado.

Ortlieb Vario (with the Ortlieb Commuter Inserts to be bought separately) is yet another interesting option. You make it a backpack or a pannier under one minute.

1595436973452.png

It is huge. The drawback is the Vario misses the bottom hook, so the pannier has to be fastened to the bike frame with some Velcro tape. The set includes a harness for the helmet (to be installed optionally).

Note: Only consider the QL2.1 panniers.

@Hextall, of all Ortlieb panniers, the E-Mate has been designed for you. Look at the YT demo:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgG8zwLBZc

View attachment 59743
It fits my Vado very well.

Bike-Packer Classic is spacious, true. If you equip it with Ortlieb Commuter Inserts (it is a single item despite of the plural name), you are perfectly set for your commuting needs.

View attachment 59745
The Bike-Packer Classic is not that big in real life on the Vado.

Ortlieb Vario (with the Ortlieb Commuter Inserts to be bought separately) is yet another interesting option. You make it a backpack or a pannier under one minute.

View attachment 59746
It is huge. The drawback is the Vario misses the bottom hook, so the pannier has to be fastened to the bike frame with some Velcro tape. The set includes a harness for the helmet (to be installed optionally).

Note: Only consider the QL2.1 panniers.
Thanks, I just purchased the bike packer classics from backcountry (got some cashback too) and the insert from REI. the image of yours on the vado helped a lot about size.

Back