Pace 500 - be careful at start, especially when also turning

phoenixtoohot

After much anticipation and reading good reviews about this bike I finally got to test ride it today. The bike is very sleek-looking comprable to bikes from specialized at two to three times the price. The bike is relatively lightweight and quite easy to Pedal with no electric assist.

Regrettably, the jolting start off in Pas level 1, can be very tricky at low speeds. If you are in a turn and inadvertently pedal the bike at low speeds I would say could be difficult. The program is is such that in Pas level 1 the bike wants to go 12 miles per hour and it wants to get there fast ... there is almost no modulation available for lower speeds than 12 miles per hour at the lowest level pedal-assist. If you were in town and making a turn from a stop or slow speed I can almost guarantee you you're going to pucker, if you pedal, in the turn.

This issue, in terms of the abrupt start off, has been reported but I don't think many have reported the touchiness that is inherent to the way this bike is programmed, in tight low speed turns.

I am not happy to report this as the bike is so good in many other ways. Hopefully others will chime in with good suggestions on how to accommodate this issue.

Last edited:
The speed is not the issue. People need to learn how to safely ride ANY ebike. I've ridden hundreds now in 5+ years of riding and testing new models, and the Pace 500 is just as safe as any other ebike. Use a dose of common sense, the brakes, and understand you have a motor on the bike... It's NOT a regular bike and expecting something with a powerful motor that you knew could take you up to 28 mph, when you decided to buy it, and then to behave exactly like a regular bike is asking for trouble.

Ps. These topic headlines that people have posting recently with hysterical and highly exaggerated claims, are truly ruining the integrity of the forum.

Anyone who is tempted to do the click bait thing, and get a massive reaction, Knock it off already with the obtuse and over the top subject lines ! This isn't the grocery store Rag like National Enquirer.

Mike, I generally appreciate your comments, but I also know you sell these bikes in your shop. I own 8 bicycles and have been an avid biker (and motorcyclist) for 60 years. I've ridden Rad, Specialized, Pedego, and Haibike e-bikes, so you can resort to your number one defense, when you don't like what someone has to say ... but I am not dumb and I do not need a lecture from you about how to ride bikes.

I stick by my post, this can be a dangerous characteristic of this bike. Perhaps you will get used to it, I don't know, but even if you learn to be super cautious, there is still that issue lurking to bite you. No other electric bike I have ridden has this abrupt start, and that is the issue.

I do agree with you that the title is a bit strong. I went back and softened it.

Last edited:
I had only ridden torque sensing ebikes in Europe so I have to say I was shocked with the PAS 1 acceleration of the Pace 500. I warned my wife about it before her first ride. If you are in a tight area or around cars or pedestrians I recommend using PAS 0 and then use the throttle after you get going if you really need assistance. The bike's controller really should power it up in PAS 0 (no assist) for safety's sake.

Last edited:
I am not happy to report this as the bike is so good in many other ways. Hopefully others will chime in with good suggestions on how to accommodate this issue.

Congrats on the new bike, Phoenix, but there are new habits you learn when riding a powered bike. Cadence sensors, like what you have on the Pace do get in the way for slow speed maneuvers. You'll learn either to turn off the assist for a U-turn or use the brakes to keep the motor inhibited.

Fancier electronics doesn't solve the problem. I've heard reports from other newbie riders who rested their foot on the pedal of a $5K bike and the torque sensor said "GO!", and the bike did.

Myself, it only took two of the walking wheelies ... this is when you're pushing the bike, forget the motor is on, and accidentally move the throttle (whoaaa, and I slammed the bike into my garage door) ... before I developed the habit of powering off my first ebike (throttle was always on).

On my other ebikes, I've learned that if I want to set the pedals for a mounted leg over the seat start, I can't do that unless the PAS is off.

And I think your post will help others who are new to ebikes.

I found this comment on another review (RobRob on Sep 5) of the Aventon 500:

"On a related note I have to agree with an earlier poster who said the pedal assist level 1 is too fast at 12mph. I also got too much assist up steep inclines with level 1. I wanted to go slower and work a little harder. I zoomed up the inclines at around 10mph with moderate pedal work. I would prefer to climb at 5 or 6mph with more effort. EDIT: I have learned that by lowering the bike's speed limit from 28mph to 19mph (30% decrease) you also decrease all the pedal assist speeds by 30%. You access the speed limit by holding down the up and down arrows simultaneously for 3 seconds, then press the "M" button (power on button) until you see Function 05P "LIMIT". Press the
arrows to set the limit
"

I think this might be a good solution for me, and others, that find the abrupt acceleration, and speed at 12 mph, at PAS level 1 too much. Of course you will lose the 28mph capability, but for me, that's not an issue.

phoenixtoohot, I updated that thread. Lowering the speed limit from 28 mph to 20mph only reduced the PAS 1 speed by about 1 mph. Actually I'm not really sure the PAS 1 speed changed at all.

Mike, I generally appreciate your comments, but I also know you sell these bikes in your shop. I own 8 bicycles and have been an avid biker (and motorcyclist) for 60 years. I've ridden Rad, Specialized, Pedego, and Haibike e-bikes, so you can resort to your number one defense, when you don't like what someone has to say ... but I am not dumb and I do not need a lecture from you about how to ride bikes.

I stick by my post, this can be a dangerous characteristic of this bike. Perhaps you will get used to it, I don't know, but even if you learn to be super cautious, there is still that issue lurking to bite you. No other electric bike I have ridden has this abrupt start, and that is the issue.

I do agree with you that the title is a bit strong. I went back and softened it.
Thanks for being respectful about it. There have been way too many of these types of headlines, and whether I sell the ebike or not, I would likely have still said similar. Btw, Aventon has taken feedback given on this subject seriously, and they plan to change some firmware for future releases,and also plan to provide dealers with ability to adjust each level of assist in terms of speed. Not sure yet when this will be arriving, but this forum will be the first to know. Aventon by far, has been one of the most upstanding and reputable OEMS I have ever dealt with. Their professionalism and responsiveness is unparalleled, and they take customer and dealer feedback very seriously. I had to drop one brand recently because they just were too unprofessional and inconsistent over a 3 year period, and it's ashame because they had a halfway decent product. It's the people behind the product that is most important to me. I take good care of all my customers, and if the people at these firms aren't doing their jobs or listening, or have a bad or immature attitude, then life is too short to allow that to creep into the day to day operations. I'd like to see this forum stay relevant and professional as well.

Thanks Mike. Right now Aventon Pace 500 is tops on our list, assuming the changes to firmware can be made regarding the pedal assist at level one. I also sent Aventon an email today, completing them on so many aspects of their bike, but asking for some suggestions on how to deal with the PAS level 1 assist level. We also tried the RadCity's again at a place here in Scottsdale and have dropped them from consideration. I was very close to purchasing 2 RadCity's before I rode the Aventon at Archer bikes in Mesa. Now the RadCity feels and looks absolutely clunky compared to the Aventon's .... I guess as someone else said ... "Rad make the best $1100 bike for $1500 available", lol.

Anyway, hope you are right about the firmware change coming soon.

Last edited:

This is a safety issue and it is not about learning how to ride properly. These are vehicles that one entrusts ones life to. If a bike has a crude or rudimentary 6 magnet system combined with a strong hub motor it is a recipe for trouble. I survived on one of those bikes for 6000 km but not without injury.

After much anticipation and reading good reviews about this bike I finally got to test ride it today. The bike is very sleek-looking comprable to bikes from specialized at two to three times the price. The bike is relatively lightweight and quite easy to Pedal with no electric assist.

Regrettably, the jolting start off in Pas level 1, can be very tricky at low speeds. If you are in a turn and inadvertently pedal the bike at low speeds I would say could be difficult. The program is is such that in Pas level 1 the bike wants to go 12 miles per hour and it wants to get there fast ... there is almost no modulation available for lower speeds than 12 miles per hour at the lowest level pedal-assist. If you were in town and making a turn from a stop or slow speed I can almost guarantee you you're going to pucker, if you pedal, in the turn.

This issue, in terms of the abrupt start off, has been reported but I don't think many have reported the touchiness that is inherent to the way this bike is programmed, in tight low speed turns.

Hello Phoenix, I've had my Pace 500 for about 4 months now and am quite happy with its performance. Like it's been said many times, no bike is perfect. Unfortunately cadence sensors do no allow for variable speeds, therefore know your bikes capabilities. First off, when you power up, the PAS automatically defaults to 1; in my opinion, it's a safety flaw, it should default to 0. If you're not aware of this or not paying attention, when you start to peddle it takes off fast and gets up to 12mph. I hope nobody, especially others in close proximity get hurt as a result of this flaw. First off, when you do power up, drop to PAS 0, and after one quarter revolution go up on the PAS. I power down to 0 on start up and when approaching walkers especially children. I've gotten used to using my throttle more unless I have open space ahead of me. Another flaw is the lack of power on demand from the throttle. Aventon feels that it's a safety measure. Personally, I think not and not defaulting to PAS 0 on start up is the safety hazard. Once you get used to riding this bike, the more you will enjoy it. Lots of bike for the money and a power house. I've talked with other riders on my travels and they can't believe that there is so much high quality items for the price. Another thing, the people at Aventon are excellent to deal with. Good luck and enjoy your rides.

I own both the Pace 500 and Pace 350 and overall am happy with them for the price. The single biggest flaw is what has been discussed here and that is the "surge" when starting out. IMHO one way to resolve this is to get the throttle to be active from a dead stop. Anyone know if this can be reprogrammed? #aventon That would allow you to get the bike moving without the "surprise push". I also have a Rad Rover which has an active throttle and it is a safety feature as far as I am concerned. I get the argument "if it has a throttle it's not a bicycle" but the reality is for many people, especially for older riders like me (69-260lbs) throttles are EXTREMELY HELPFUL STARTING OUT.

On my test ride of both 350 and 500, setting the PAS to 0 gave throttle as soon as you started to pedal.
The 350 didn't surge as much - I actually liked it better, especially for the wife.

I would have bought one but ended up getting the yamaha mid-drive in a Giant Explore. A little more money but suited what I wanted better.
I think the Aventon is terrific ebike for the money.

I am learning how to modulate this. I have learned to keep my hands on the brakes, so it doesn't get away from me. I can't afford an accident at my age!

Hello Phoenix, I've had my Pace 500 for about 4 months now and am quite happy with its performance. Like it's been said many times, no bike is perfect. Unfortunately cadence sensors do no allow for variable speeds, therefore know your bikes capabilities. First off, when you power up, the PAS automatically defaults to 1; in my opinion, it's a safety flaw, it should default to 0. If you're not aware of this or not paying attention, when you start to peddle it takes off fast and gets up to 12mph. I hope nobody, especially others in close proximity get hurt as a result of this flaw. First off, when you do power up, drop to PAS 0, and after one quarter revolution go up on the PAS. I power down to 0 on start up and when approaching walkers especially children. I've gotten used to using my throttle more unless I have open space ahead of me. Another flaw is the lack of power on demand from the throttle. Aventon feels that it's a safety measure. Personally, I think not and not defaulting to PAS 0 on start up is the safety hazard. Once you get used to riding this bike, the more you will enjoy it. Lots of bike for the money and a power house. I've talked with other riders on my travels and they can't believe that there is so much high quality items for the price. Another thing, the people at Aventon are excellent to deal with. Good luck and enjoy your rides.
Thank you. I am brand new to ebiking, and the pace 500 is my first. Have already written to Aventon to ask about the bike getting away from me. Scared me to death, and I did lose control at a light, but only for a second. Yes, at a light I will learn to downshift so I can pedal at least one turn, and use the throttle to get going. That's the best solution. Otherwise, I do really like the bike. Maybe too much power for me though. I really don't need to go over 20MPH, and even that is faster than I need to be going at my age! lol

Thank you. I am brand new to ebiking, and the pace 500 is my first. Have already written to Aventon to ask about the bike getting away from me. Scared me to death, and I did lose control at a light, but only for a second. Yes, at a light I will learn to downshift so I can pedal at least one turn, and use the throttle to get going. That's the best solution. Otherwise, I do really like the bike. Maybe too much power for me though. I really don't need to go over 20MPH, and even that is faster than I need to be going at my age! lol
Took me a while to keep remembering to downshift coming to a stop. If you push the shift lever a bit further it drops down several gears at once instead of 1 at a time

Aventon reports they will not be changing speed of Level 1 assist. If they did, it would be too slow for the gear ratio and amount of current flowing to that particular motor, which is known to be strong and also designed for the high class 3 speed. That would in turn cause worse issues for the motor.

The easiest way to handle turns is to either pause your pedaling, which pauses the motor or slightly squeeze one or both brake levers which triggers the interrupt signal, also pausing the motor. Easy to do and enough room to do so before the pads actually touch the rotor if you don't want actual braking to occur.

The vast majority of 500 and Level buyers have zero issues with the speed and at the very least all my customers learn about this during the test ride, and appreciate my having advised them about how to handle turns safely on this ebike prior to their boarding it. Anyway, Can't recall more than just a few who were troubled by this Ebike's level 1 speed. If they were, mostly they switched to a Pace 350 and additionally were plenty happy with both the level 1 speed and it's top speed of 20. No big deal at all here. Maybe those who have complained on other forums or FB, bought sight unseen from Aventon direct, and had never test ridden one before riding. Y'all know how I feel about that way of buying an ebike and the resulting decision, so won't belabor the point again here.

Aventon reports they will not be changing speed of Level 1 assist. If they did, it would be too slow for the gear ratio and amount of current flowing to that particular motor, which is known to be strong and also designed for the high class 3 speed. That would in turn cause worse issues for the motor.

The easiest way to handle turns is to either pause your pedaling, which pauses the motor or slightly squeeze one or both brake levers which triggers the interrupt signal, also pausing the motor. Easy to do and enough room to do so before the pads actually touch the rotor if you don't want actual braking to occur.

The vast majority of 500 and Level buyers have zero issues with the speed and at the very least all my customers learn about this during the test ride, and appreciate my having advised them about how to handle turns safely on this ebike prior to their boarding it. Anyway, Can't recall more than just a few who were troubled by this Ebike's level 1 speed. If they were, mostly they switched to a Pace 350 and additionally were plenty happy with both the level 1 speed and it's top speed of 20. No big deal at all here. Maybe those who have complained on other forums or FB, bought sight unseen from Aventon direct, and had never test ridden one before riding. Y'all know how I feel about that way of buying an ebike and the resulting decision, so won't belabor the point again here.

Thanks for your reply! He'd ridden e-bikes before but our bike shops around here don't carry this particular maker. The reviews on the Aventon + their customer support sold him online. Hopefully, this PAS level 1 thing, is mostly just new buyers were surprised, and then posted about it online. It was enough to freak my dad out--that's for sure. I read somewhere else that they suggested mastering the throttle before using pedal assist, and that's what I've recommended for my dad. If that doesn't work, we will have to sell this used and get him another one.

In regards to the turns, I can't imagine a scenario, where he would make a turn without hitting the brake, so I think he's okay there. We just have suburban roads here and they aren't so big, so I don't think he'd be hitting them at 12mph anyway.

Last edited:
Back