Orbea Gain Range Data (w & w/o Battery Extender)

CO Climber

This post is to provide real world data on the Orbea Gain’s range. Please add your ride data and follow the format below (cut and paste) to insure consistent and reliable data for others to use.

Bike
Model: M20i, 2019
Battery Extender: Yes
Ride Mode: level 2/orange for entire ride, stock motor settings

Rider
Weight: 158 lbs
Height: 5’8”
Skill Level: Fast Recreational Rider, former racer (35yrs ago)

Ride
Location: Foothills SE of Denver (Deer Creek, City View, High Drive, Parmalee Gulch)
Distance: 55.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 6,942’ (Ebikemotion app showed 8,722’)
Elevation Loss: 5,112’ (Ebikemotion app showed 8,721’)
Elapsed Riding Time: 2:53:57
Average Speed: slightly above 18.5 MPH (Ebikemotion app showed 20.13MPH)
Battery Remaining: 13% on bike, 0% on extender
Data Verification/Collection Method: Verified - mapped ride on Google maps, bicycle mode

Last edited:
Hallo!
My experience is only on hills. On the flat is always on but with no assistance.
I am 66kg and the bike is the M10i. It's weight is 12,5 kg with bag, garmin, pump etc. Plus waterbottles.
Assistance Level 1 at 100% consumes 1% every ~2' minutes of climbing.

Assistance level 2 at 80% consumes 1% every ~1' of climbing.

Assistance level 3 at 100% consumes 2% every 1' of climbing.

It sounds not so promising, but if the rider goes with ~180 Watts plus the assistance level 3, you go so much faster that you can reach 1500 h/m on a 8% slope climb. The pros can climb so fast.
I have managed to make 70 km with ~1500 hm (to ski center) and go back home with 35% rest battery.
How?
On flat or very small climbs no assistance (~250 hm).
The first part of the climb was 14km with 5% slope, 615 hm and made it in 44' with 22% battery consumption and assistance level 1 at 100%. I was riding on this climb with 18 km/h.! The KOM is 43'. I was 1' slower. My PR was 55'.

The second part of the climb was 8 km with 8,2% slope, 630 hm and made it in 23' with 44% battery and assistance level 3 at 100%.
I was ridding on this climb with 20km/h.! The KOM on this climb is 28':37". I was 5' faster. My PR was 40'.

On these climbs I was giving about 180watt of myself.
That gives to me the result, that the battery consumption is always the same as given above. How long I can ride, it depends on how fast I am riding with my power. If I live the bike to do all the job, then the time goes by and the battery also.

Bike
Model: M20i, 2019, US version (20mph)
Battery Extender: No
Ride Mode: level 1/green for entire ride, stock motor settings.

Rider
Weight: 175 lbs
Height: 5'11"
Skill Level: Fast Recreational Rider, long time roadie.
Pedaling style: High-ish cadence, ~85 RPM

Ride
Location: Roswell, Georgia. Note that this area is hilly but not mountainous. Truly flat sections are relatively rare, but climbs are generally not longer than a quarter or half a mile. This route has sections as steep as 7 or 8%, but not for long, and some sections of rollers. On the downhill sections, the motor cuts out as you exceed 20MPH.
Distance: 22.8 miles, loop route.
Weather: 85 degrees F, humid, breezy to windy
Elevation Gain: 1509’
Average Speed: 16.5 mph
Battery Remaining: 68% (internal battery), started at 100%
Data Verification/Collection Method: Garmin w/ GPS

Tale of two rides, both ~35 miles long, a few days apart, one on a mix of rollers, small hills and flats, and the other with more long and challenging climbs in N. Georgia.

RIDE #1

Bike
Ride Mode: level 2/orange for entire ride. I've got level 2 set up at 42% (Level 2 is nominally 60% from the factory, I have modified it from 100% of 60% to 70% of 60%).

Rider

Ride
Location: Roswell, Georgia. Note that this area is hilly but not mountainous. Truly flat sections are relatively rare, but climbs are generally not longer than a quarter or half a mile. This route has sections as steep as 7 or 8%, but not for long, and some sections of rollers. On the downhill sections, the motor cuts out as you exceed 20MPH.
Distance: 33.9 miles, loop route.
Solo ride (no drafting)
Weather: Low 80s degrees F, humid, breezy
Elevation Gain: 1883’
Average Speed: 17.7 mph
Battery Remaining: 34% (internal battery), started at 100%

RIDE #2

Bike
Ride Mode: level 2/orange for entire ride. I've got level 2 set up at 42% (Level 2 is nominally 60% from the factory, I have modified it from 100% of 60% to 70% of 60%).

Rider

Ride
Location: North Georgia, near Dahlonega. For those familiar with this area, I rode three gaps from the rock pile, which is part of the annual Six Gap Century. This route features two significant climbs, Neels Gap (6.6 miles at 4.4%) and Wolfpen Gap (3.2 miles at 6.6%). There are no flats on this route - you are always either going uphill or down.
Distance: 34.8 miles, loop route.
Solo ride (no drafting)
Weather: Low 80s degrees F, humid, breezy
Elevation Gain: 3786’
Average Speed: 14.9 mph
Battery Remaining: 11% (internal battery), started at 100%. Note that when the battery got to 15%, the controller cut power significantly, presumably to extend some power longer.

Comparison Notes
Not surprisingly, steeper and longer climbs use up more power, a lot more power. My working assumption is that the controller on the Gain is trying to maintain a more-or-less consistent amount of power. At lower RPM's, such as while grinding up a 7% climb, the motor draws more current to maintain that power.

Back