*7.5k miles, 500k ft altitude gained* Roadster V2 w/ extended battery *UPDATED*

PSm

Region
USA
*UPDATED at 2k miles*
*See 3k, 4k, 7500 mile UPDATE at end of this post below*
Summary:
Roadster V2 is the best bike I've ever owned. Makes me smile every ride. Favorite of 3 current ebikes (others are an internal geared hub step through, and a heavier bigger battery longer range rear hub motor). Better than all the analog road or mtb bikes I've ever had. Great value and great purchase for entry into the ebike world.

Statistics:
15 weeks
1500 miles, *now at 2000 miles*
44.6 mph max speed reached
60 miles longest single ride (~90% of it motor off or PAS 1) mostly flat, including some decent hills
15 miles shortest ride on mostly PAS 5 with some hills

Pros:
Rides really smoothly
Single speed and rim brakes keep it simple, elegant, low maintenance, lightweight
Maroon Red color is beautiful
Belt drive is so, so quiet
Light weight *this is key* makes it really easy to put in the car, or up stairs, *or ride PAS 1 or power off on the flats*
Price makes it a great value

Cons:
LCD display is dim, and hard to see in sunlight
Handlebars narrow
Gearing is high, so big hills require a bit more effort
Paint scratches fairly easily
Not for those that don't actually want to exercise, and are looking for something more like a scooter
*If you are not comfortable doing light maintenance or adjustments of your bike, you may want to buy from a local bike shop. Similar for any direct to consumer bike company. But if you are not afraid of doing a little on your own, you reap the benefits and cost-savings by going mail order. You can save hundreds if not thousands of $, and that buys a lot of accessories, service, or a 2nd bike!*

Tips and Notes:
Definitely pump up OEM tires to 80 psi, for lower rolling resistance, so much easier to ride with motor off or PAS 1 *This REALLY HELPS*
Buy and use the inexpensive Gates Kricket tool, to properly adjust the belt tension, to just the right value *Belt tension is IMPORTANT*
Periodically spray the belt with Silicone spray to prevent squeaks
If you get clicking, I needed to tighten the rear cog slightly, or others have had to loosen slightly
Use Ride1UP email support for questions and help. They have been very helpful and responsive. *Note: like the support staff at any company, people have different levels of expertise, and Ride1up is no different. But if you're patient, you should be able to get answers and suggestions*

Upgrades:
Continental Grand Prix 5000 tires, for even lower rolling resistance, based on bicyclerollingresistance.com reviews. Just received these, but haven't installed yet but will soon. *Installed these, and they are AWESOME! Though the OEM tires actually are decent, if pumped up to 80 psi*
Then if I can find the time, may try riding a Century (100 mile) ride. *Nope, this will be too much of a stretch. 60 miles is my limit*
Consider pedal Straps, for more efficient pedaling, on up and down strokes. I'm testing those out, but unsure if I want to use long-term
*Nope, too cumbersome. Not using these*
Different handlebar end covers, for improved cushioning and width
I'm thinking about the add on battery to essentially double the range, which is great for those that want and need it. But I value the lighter weight and ability to ride power off or PAS 1.
*Forgot that I also put on a suspension seat post. KEY for my comfort!*

Final Thoughts:
Pros way outweigh the Cons. Especially considering the price of admission. My next step up bikes for much more money would be Specialized S-Works Turbo Creo SL for $14k or Lemond Prolog for $5k, but may never need it. For less hilly areas, a great bike. Even for hills, for those willing to work for it, almost any hill climb is also do-able, for those that want to exercise and if reasonably fit. If range isn't enough for you, get the add-on battery.
*See member Solliex's posts on this thread and Forum, since he just got one*
For me, this is the closest a $1100 to $1500 light ebike will get, to a $5k Lemond or $14k Specialized. Great for enthusiast bike riders.
*Found that on a 45 mile ride in PAS 1 (and off for downhills), I can keep up with 18-20 mph packs of road cyclists, but the racers at 25-30 mph on the flats & rolling hills NO WAY! LOL.*

*2000 mile update*
Still loving the Roadster at 2k! Not much else new to report, but am likely getting the extended battery that few other models offer as an option. Getting 15 to 60 mile range currently, depending on my level of effort (!), and thinking I could get 80 miles+ with two batteries IF I really push myself.

Btw, a single speed bike is great for getting fit, and keeping you from being lazy. Standing up going up hills or for sprinting, provides much more of a varied body position and overall body exercise.

Only minor maintenance things I'd highly recommend, is to keep tire pressure high to minimize rolling resistance, use a Kricket belt tension tool to properly adjust belt tension, and periodically spray belt with silicone spray. That's about it! Great fun, exercise and a simple, elegant, affordable ebike
-----------------------------------------
*2500 mile UPDATE*
Got the extended battery, and love it!

Just did a fast 50 mile ride, and it's a joy to not have the range anxiety. Only tweak, I put zip ties around the extended battery, so I don't hear a little rattling sound over bumpy roads.

Biggest benefit for me has been being able to be at 1 or 2 bars left, going up a 10-15% grade in Level 5, and not experiencing the motor cutting out (aka voltage lag - something I've had a problem with, on all of my ebikes of different brands, when battery is low). Extended battery takes care of that, and battery should last longer too over the long term.

Value beyond compare, for $1500 for a Roadster plus extended battery!
:)

*See below post for 3000 mile update *
--‐------------------------------------------------------------
*4000 mile, 1 year update* w/extended battery

Statistics and notes:
- 4000 miles of joy, still loving it!
- 45 mph max speed reached
- with extended battery, single ride of 90+ miles
- with extended battery, single rides with 7000+ feet elevation gain
- able to ride most any mountain climbs in PAS level 1, standing up
- climbing major mountain climbs in PAS level 5, able to (informally, not publicly posting) beat several KOM times
- with extended battery, many 50-60+ mile rides
- if desired, with extended battery, easy to get 20-30+ miles with high average speed, in level 3 to 5 assist the entire time
- wore through 1 set of tires
- tried various tires, and hands down, Continental Grand Prix 5000 are still the absolute best overall, low rolling resistance, and reasonable puncture resistance tires ever
- comparing with other ebikes, analog non-ebikes, and bikes with chains/gears ... I almost never ride anything else anymore. This bike is just that good. Elegant, simple, low maintenance, and just plain fun for ~ $1500 including bike + extended battery.
------------
*7500 mile, 500000 feet altitude gained update* w/extended battery

Not much more to report except bike is still running great. Only thing of note is that I tried using Continental Gatorskin 28mm tires and I don’t like the rolling resistance at all, compared to the Grand Prix 5000 tires. Shocked how much better the GP5k tires are, I’m switching right back, since it seems so much easier to ride and pedal with lower or no assist.

Riding my analog single speed bike more these days (see separate non-e-bike discussion thread), so likely won’t post another report in quite a while. Will still ride the e-bike on recovery days, and commuting at higher speed days, so getting to 10k miles may take some time.

Have fun, all you peeps.

Last edited:
Excellent review. I have just gotten to 475 miles, and have very few issues. I did order the extra battery, figuring I could leave it home If I wanted less weight. I am 72 now, and ride without assist only about 5% of the time, the rest on Level 1. It has enough power for everything at that level…. I have 7 other electric bikes and this is the most fun to ride.

Well done Solliex, staying in shape and being that active! You have a lot of e-bikes, so certainly have good comparison points. My goal is to be as active as you are, when I get there.

Well done Solliex, staying in shape and being that active! You have a lot of e-bikes, so certainly have good comparison points. My goal is to be as active as you are, when I get there.
I just got an email from Ride1up they’re preparing to ship my second battery. I just hope it gets here before the cold weather sets in here in Michigan, so I can try it out. I rarely ride below 40° and move my exercise into my basement where I have a Kaiser M3i stationary bike with a real nice TV screen and stereo system to use.

Will be interested to know what you think of the extended battery. Did another 60 mile ride with my Roadster, and it really is tough for me to go that far, especially with some moderate hills. Motor off for a lot of the ride, is hard on my knees. Figure the add-on battery might really help in those situations.

well they charged my credit card about three weeks ago. I talked to the CEO or one of them he said more than likely I would get it in December and not November. Then I got the email saying they’re processing it but I have not received any tracking so I’ll have to be patient. Unless we have a really nice day after that I will not be able to take it out a very long ride as I don’t ride in cold weather. I will show pictures and videos of the assembly and how the battery attaches and how easily it can be removed. It snowed here yesterday. Riding in the basement.

Well done, PSm! To my mind, the cons are not so significant. Especially if compare them with usual bikes(got a lot of gravel(example)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: PSm
Good news, is the battery will arrive tomorrow,Tuesday. I will put up a video showing the battery, how I installed it and then Wednesday we’re supposed to get some better weather here in Michigan and I’ll take it for a test ride. It won’t be till spring that I’ll know the true value of owning it, but I’m sure with the ability to leave it behind when I don’t need it is a real plus.

Reactions: PSm
That's great news, and will look forward to seeing your extended battery video 😀!

Well done videos, Solliex... you have me thinking about the extended battery. Seems like a decent design. Even with the cost of that plus the bike, keeps the total cost under $1500. Hmm....

Thanks for the detailed review. I am looking for an good commuter ebike (last one didn't survive an accident) and the V2 is on the list. Has anyone added fenders to their V2? I likely am more interested in the gravel edition due to the larger tires (Chicago roads and weather!). Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the detailed review. I am looking for an good commuter ebike (last one didn't survive an accident) and the V2 is on the list. Has anyone added fenders to their V2? I likely am more interested in the gravel edition due to the larger tires (Chicago roads and weather!). Thanks in advance.
These are great tenders which I put on my bike if you hadn’t noticed:

I wonder why there are no reviews of the Roadster competitor Espins Aero? They look similar and the Aero is only 799...

I wonder why there are no reviews of the Roadster competitor Espins Aero? They look similar and the Aero is only 799...
I wondered the same thing as I appreciated the great reviews by PSm and Solliex (thanks you two!!). I did just get a 52cm Roadster on their sale and so far really like it though it's pretty early. I might give my impressions later, but it is a really easy bike to ride. I did think about the Aero. For me it came down to the weight - 32-33# vs 44# - plus the potential of the battery extender. Looking forward to Solliex's ride review on the extender when he gets a chance. I see the Aero is now on back order, it would seem they sold a few so maybe reviews are forthcoming.

These are great tenders which I put on my bike if you hadn’t noticed:

Thanks for the link. I completely missed that in your video! Much appreciated.

I don't know what your riding conditions are but how are those tires holding out for you? I've only ridden >2" tires so I'm a little concerned about the slimmer tires for the Chicago streets and weather. Thanks again.

Thanks for the link. I completely missed that in your video! Much appreciated.

I don't know what your riding conditions are but how are those tires holding out for you? I've only ridden >2" tires so I'm a little concerned about the slimmer tires for the Chicago streets and weather. Thanks again.
Yeah I don’t ride when it’s wet and cold below 40° but I’ve got 525 miles on the bike and they’ve held up quite, well aside from being narrow they seem to be as grippy as anything else I’ve come across.

I wondered the same thing as I appreciated the great reviews by PSm and Solliex (thanks you two!!). I did just get a 52cm Roadster on their sale and so far really like it though it's pretty early. I might give my impressions later, but it is a really easy bike to ride. I did think about the Aero. For me it came down to the weight - 32-33# vs 44# - plus the potential of the battery extender. Looking forward to Solliex's ride review on the extender when he gets a chance. I see the Aero is now on back order, it would seem they sold a few so maybe reviews are forthcoming.
They weren't on backorder about 9am, did something change? I chatted with a rep that indicated a new one would arrive by Xmas...

Below where you order it says this:

Sold Out
Next Batch Estimated delivery end of December

But it does seem to let you order the bike at $799. If you get one let us know your thoughts on it.

Back