*7.5k miles, 500k ft altitude gained* Roadster V2 w/ extended battery *UPDATED*

Let us know if you make the switch. I was worried about the hassle if switching everything over (and breaking something!).
On my gravel, I converted the stock 550mm/20 degree rise handlebar and +20 degree/60mm stem to a 680mm handlebar and +6 degree/80mm Redshift suspension stem. The handlebar is a 31.8 mm bar clamp (fits the Redshift w/o a shim), 680mm length, 20mm rise, 9 degree back sweep, 5 degree up sweep and weights 320 grams. There is also a 30 degree rise available. Brand is the Sram Truvativ from Jenson. On gravel/dirt single forest roads and single tracks, the 550 mm bar was just a bit too twitchy. On my "regular" V2 I actually like the 550mm bar a lot and have no plans to change - like the bike just the way it is - well except maybe go to the Continentals you have. What size did you go to?

Anyway - changing out the bar wasn't hard at all. Just don't over tighten the display. I did have to reroute the cables and I'm not real excited with the display wire length. I may, when I put the battery extension on, extend the display wire. Or maybe not. If I do, I may go to the 30mm rise handle bar and then cut the handle bar down to 650-660mm. I don't think I'd go to anything longer than 680mm without changing out cables/wire.

BTW - While the gravel is getting most of the mods, I get more of a kick out of just jumping on the "regular" V2. So when can we expect the 3000 mile review 😊.
P3103427handlebar.JPG

Reactions: PSm
On my gravel, I converted the stock 550mm/20 degree rise handlebar and +20 degree/60mm stem to a 680mm handlebar and +6 degree/80mm Redshift suspension stem. The handlebar is a 31.8 mm bar clamp (fits the Redshift w/o a shim), 680mm length, 20mm rise, 9 degree back sweep, 5 degree up sweep and weights 320 grams. There is also a 30 degree rise available. Brand is the Sram Truvativ from Jenson. On gravel/dirt single forest roads and single tracks, the 550 mm bar was just a bit too twitchy. On my "regular" V2 I actually like the 550mm bar a lot and have no plans to change - like the bike just the way it is - well except maybe go to the Continentals you have. What size did you go to?

Anyway - changing out the bar wasn't hard at all. Just don't over tighten the display. I did have to reroute the cables and I'm not real excited with the display wire length. I may, when I put the battery extension on, extend the display wire. Or maybe not. If I do, I may go to the 30mm rise handle bar and then cut the handle bar down to 650-660mm. I don't think I'd go to anything longer than 680mm without changing out cables/wire.

BTW - While the gravel is getting most of the mods, I get more of a kick out of just jumping on the "regular" V2. So when can we expect the 3000 mile review 😊.
View attachment 116432
Nice set-up, thanks for the info. Yeah, I accidentally cracked the display holder, but a zip tie around it gets the job done for now.

I have the Conti GP5k 28mm's and they really are fantastic for low RR. Feels almost like a speed upgrade. Though I see they also have 32mm version, which I will go to next time (for the ride quality and maybe improved flat resistance, with still low RR).

3k mile report coming soon, when I can out on the road again!

*3000+ mile update*

Still love the Ride1UP Roadster v2, and think it's the best value and design out there 😀

Got the 30mm version of the Continental Grand Prix 5000 tires, and these are the best by far! Super low rolling resistance, should have decent flat resistance for good roads, and width allows them to be installed easily fully inflated with stock brakes. For bad roads, still think Schwalbes are the best, but otherwise, Conti GP5k 30mm's are the way to go.

Put on Ergon grips, and now my hands don't feel as numb on those 50-60+ mile rides.

No other changes. Was able to get in a 90 mile ride, with the internal + extended battery on board!

I finally got out and did a range test with my Door batteries if anyone hasn’t came across this yet here is the link:

Thanks for the video, had a rear flat on my new conti gp 5000 on the 2nd day but my speed was easily 2 to 3 mph faster with the gp, wish I made a video on changing the rear tire, ride1up only has the one with gears, wish a roadster video was out there, I guessed my way through it but if your a novice how would they know.

I finally got out and did a range test with my Door batteries if anyone hasn’t came across this yet here is the link:

I think you meant dual battery setup. Btw, what is that triangular frame thing? A storage bag? Seems like a good idea, and aero too.

Thanks for the video, had a rear flat on my new conti gp 5000 on the 2nd day but my speed was easily 2 to 3 mph faster with the gp, wish I made a video on changing the rear tire, ride1up only has the one with gears, wish a roadster video was out there, I guessed my way through it but if your a novice how would they know.
Yeah, flats on the rear are a pain with belt drive rear hubs. But once you figure it out (I always take close up pictures of each area, before removing), it's pretty straightforward.

I've gotten two flats over my 3000+ miles with the Roadster. One a pinch flat going down a big hill at 35+ mph (!) hitting a small deep pothole, but luckily I was going straight and no issue stopping safely. Other one a random flat from who knows what in the street. I have now changed to Schwalbe tubes, which I think are a bit more flat resistant.

Funny how the internal battery is wired, think they made it so its not easy to remove. wish I could just keep a charged internal in my back pack, rather then taking up the water bottle space. And would love to purchase the back rim separately, or other parts.

Funny how the internal battery is wired, think they made it so its not easy to remove. wish I could just keep a charged internal in my back pack, rather then taking up the water bottle space. And would love to purchase the back rim separately, or other parts.
My guess is they made design decisions to keep the price low (see the higher Babymaker or Luna Stealth pricing!), and IMO it's a good tradeoff.

Try Ride1UP tech support for questions and ideas. They've been really helpful to me, via e-mail, as long as you're patient.

After a 999.9 miles, it doesn't go any further, why is that, it's very odd just they could of just get rid of the decimal point. Has anyone lube or grease the crank or any other part of the bike. I have the basic roadster if wondering. Up to 2000 miles since February fun to ride, wish the battery display was set up different like %, also since these are like cellphone batteries should we unplug it once charged.

I’ve got 976 miles so I’m anxious to see what happens to the odometer this week. So far no problems no flats everything working perfectly I did add a suspension seat post to the Roadster V2 seems to help

After a 999.9 miles, it doesn't go any further, why is that, it's very odd just they could of just get rid of the decimal point. Has anyone lube or grease the crank or any other part of the bike. I have the basic roadster if wondering. Up to 2000 miles since February fun to ride, wish the battery display was set up different like %, also since these are like cellphone batteries should we unplug it once charged.

After a 999.9 miles, it doesn't go any further, why is that, it's very odd just they could of just get rid of the decimal point. Has anyone lube or grease the crank or any other part of the bike.
Will sometimes silicone spray the belt. Did use grease when installing new pedals.

Regarding Display - been emailing Ride1up about a possible upgraded display. IF they can verify it works, will be an awesome upgrade! May take them at least a few weeks or months for them to get the sample and test it out, but hopeful!!! Will post when I hear back.

Last edited:
I’ve got 976 miles so I’m anxious to see what happens to the odometer this week. So far no problems no flats everything working perfectly I did add a suspension seat post to the Roadster V2 seems to help
Same here, suspension seat post has always been one of my first upgrades, and well worth it for comfort (not just Roadster V2, but for any hardtail, without a suspension). Two flats so far after 3k+ miles. YRMV.

Will sometimes silicone spray the belt. Did use grease when installing new pedals.

Regarding Display - been emailing Ride1up about a possible upgraded display. IF they can verify it works, will be an awesome upgrade! May take them at least a few weeks or months for them to get the sample and test it out, but hopeful!!! Will post when I hear back.
That is probably the only knock I have against my Gravel Roadster-the tiny black and white display that is useless riding in the daytime. ( I havent noticed or checked to see if it is illuminated at night) A little bigger brighter display would be awesome...

Back