*7.5k miles, 500k ft altitude gained* Roadster V2 w/ extended battery *UPDATED*

See original post in thread, for edited 4000 mile, 1 year update :cool:
Curious…I will be 73 in two weeks, my weight is 153 lb and am 5’8in. I have just gone over 1500 miles on the Roadster V2. I have 8 bikes though that I ride alternately. Only one is not an ebike. With good weather I ride a total of between 50 and 70 miles a day. Usually 15-20 with no assist, and then the fun begins. Winter tme is spent on a stationary bike pedaling 17-18 mph for between 90 and 115 min a day, often riding in the morning and again before dinner. I can’t stop, it pains me to miss riding. Not the worst habit to have. Are you like me…. ?

*UPDATED at 2k miles*
*See 3k, 4k UPDATE at end of this post below*
Summary:
Roadster V2 is the best bike I've ever owned. Makes me smile every ride. Favorite of 3 current ebikes (others are an internal geared hub step through, and a heavier bigger battery longer range rear hub motor). Better than all the analog road or mtb bikes I've ever had. Great value and great purchase for entry into the ebike world.

Statistics:
15 weeks
1500 miles, *now at 2000 miles*
44.6 mph max speed reached
60 miles longest single ride (~90% of it motor off or PAS 1) mostly flat, including some decent hills
15 miles shortest ride on mostly PAS 5 with some hills

Pros:
Rides really smoothly
Single speed and rim brakes keep it simple, elegant, low maintenance, lightweight
Maroon Red color is beautiful
Belt drive is so, so quiet
Light weight *this is key* makes it really easy to put in the car, or up stairs, *or ride PAS 1 or power off on the flats*
Price makes it a great value

Cons:
LCD display is dim, and hard to see in sunlight
Handlebars narrow
Gearing is high, so big hills require a bit more effort
Paint scratches fairly easily
Not for those that don't actually want to exercise, and are looking for something more like a scooter
*If you are not comfortable doing light maintenance or adjustments of your bike, you may want to buy from a local bike shop. Similar for any direct to consumer bike company. But if you are not afraid of doing a little on your own, you reap the benefits and cost-savings by going mail order. You can save hundreds if not thousands of $, and that buys a lot of accessories, service, or a 2nd bike!*

Tips and Notes:
Definitely pump up OEM tires to 80 psi, for lower rolling resistance, so much easier to ride with motor off or PAS 1 *This REALLY HELPS*
Buy and use the inexpensive Gates Kricket tool, to properly adjust the belt tension, to just the right value *Belt tension is IMPORTANT*
Periodically spray the belt with Silicone spray to prevent squeaks
If you get clicking, I needed to tighten the rear cog slightly, or others have had to loosen slightly
Use Ride1UP email support for questions and help. They have been very helpful and responsive. *Note: like the support staff at any company, people have different levels of expertise, and Ride1up is no different. But if you're patient, you should be able to get answers and suggestions*

Upgrades:
Continental Grand Prix 5000 tires, for even lower rolling resistance, based on bicyclerollingresistance.com reviews. Just received these, but haven't installed yet but will soon. *Installed these, and they are AWESOME! Though the OEM tires actually are decent, if pumped up to 80 psi*
Then if I can find the time, may try riding a Century (100 mile) ride. *Nope, this will be too much of a stretch. 60 miles is my limit*
Consider pedal Straps, for more efficient pedaling, on up and down strokes. I'm testing those out, but unsure if I want to use long-term
*Nope, too cumbersome. Not using these*
Different handlebar end covers, for improved cushioning and width
I'm thinking about the add on battery to essentially double the range, which is great for those that want and need it. But I value the lighter weight and ability to ride power off or PAS 1.
*Forgot that I also put on a suspension seat post. KEY for my comfort!*

Final Thoughts:
Pros way outweigh the Cons. Especially considering the price of admission. My next step up bikes for much more money would be Specialized S-Works Turbo Creo SL for $14k or Lemond Prolog for $5k, but may never need it. For less hilly areas, a great bike. Even for hills, for those willing to work for it, almost any hill climb is also do-able, for those that want to exercise and if reasonably fit. If range isn't enough for you, get the add-on battery.
*See member Solliex's posts on this thread and Forum, since he just got one*
For me, this is the closest a $1100 to $1500 light ebike will get, to a $5k Lemond or $14k Specialized. Great for enthusiast bike riders.
*Found that on a 45 mile ride in PAS 1 (and off for downhills), I can keep up with 18-20 mph packs of road cyclists, but the racers at 25-30 mph on the flats & rolling hills NO WAY! LOL.*

*2000 mile update*
Still loving the Roadster at 2k! Not much else new to report, but am likely getting the extended battery that few other models offer as an option. Getting 15 to 60 mile range currently, depending on my level of effort (!), and thinking I could get 80 miles+ with two batteries IF I really push myself.

Btw, a single speed bike is great for getting fit, and keeping you from being lazy. Standing up going up hills or for sprinting, provides much more of a varied body position and overall body exercise.

Only minor maintenance things I'd highly recommend, is to keep tire pressure high to minimize rolling resistance, use a Kricket belt tension tool to properly adjust belt tension, and periodically spray belt with silicone spray. That's about it! Great fun, exercise and a simple, elegant, affordable ebike
-----------------------------------------
*2500 mile UPDATE*
Got the extended battery, and love it!

Just did a fast 50 mile ride, and it's a joy to not have the range anxiety. Only tweak, I put zip ties around the extended battery, so I don't hear a little rattling sound over bumpy roads.

Biggest benefit for me has been being able to be at 1 or 2 bars left, going up a 10-15% grade in Level 5, and not experiencing the motor cutting out (aka voltage lag - something I've had a problem with, on all of my ebikes of different brands, when battery is low). Extended battery takes care of that, and battery should last longer too over the long term.

Value beyond compare, for $1500 for a Roadster plus extended battery!
:)

*See below post for 3000 mile update *
--‐------------------------------------------------------------
*4000 mile, 1 year update* w/extended battery

Statistics and notes:
- 4000 miles of joy, still loving it!
- 45 mph max speed reached
- with extended battery, single ride of 90+ miles
- with extended battery, single rides with 7000+ feet elevation gain
- able to ride most any mountain climbs in PAS level 1, standing up
- climbing major mountain climbs in PAS level 5, able to (informally, not publicly posting) beat several KOM times
- with extended battery, many 50-60+ mile rides
- if desired, with extended battery, easy to get 20-30+ miles with high average speed, in level 3 to 5 assist the entire time
- wore through 1 set of tires
- tried various tires, and hands down, Continental Grand Prix 5000 are still the absolute best overall, low rolling resistance, and reasonable puncture resistance tires ever
- comparing with other ebikes, analog non-ebikes, and bikes with chains/gears ... I almost never ride anything else anymore. This bike is just that good. Elegant, simple, low maintenance, and just plain fun for ~ $1500 including bike + extended battery.

Cheers!
Very nice thread about the Roadster v2!
I had a max speed of 56 mph on mine, going down these crazy WV hills and didn't even have a clue I was going so blazing fast until I checked the readings later!

I have the external battery on back-order and hopefully it will arrive in July.

I was wondering if you could help me with an issue with the Roadster.
On long rides I have issues with my right foot, it's severely arthritic and prone to stress fractures and over use injuries.
Especially with the extended range of the new 2nd battery peddling might become a little difficult for me.
I'm considering wiring a thumb throttle on my Roadster for long trips to cut back a bit on the pedaling if my foot acts up.
Do you know if the controller of the Roadster v2 is wired to accept a thumb throttle?
Any advice you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the roadster for exercise and pedaling, but with 2 batteries I will by talking much longer adventures out in the hills and will need a little break from pedaling if my foot gives out.
Thank you for this thread!
4000 miles, nice!
I only have 400 on mine and need to get some time in on the Roadster.

Reactions: PSm
Curious…I will be 73 in two weeks, my weight is 153 lb and am 5’8in. I have just gone over 1500 miles on the Roadster V2. I have 8 bikes though that I ride alternately. Only one is not an ebike. With good weather I ride a total of between 50 and 70 miles a day. Usually 15-20 with no assist, and then the fun begins. Winter tme is spent on a stationary bike pedaling 17-18 mph for between 90 and 115 min a day, often riding in the morning and again before dinner. I can’t stop, it pains me to miss riding. Not the worst habit to have. Are you like me…. ?
Well done riding that much every day! My schedule doesn't allow me that much riding, I get in rides 2 maybe 3 days a week, but yes I also miss it when I can't ride. Great habit, mood elevating, and good for the heart. I get depressed when I can't get in a ride a few times a week!

Very nice thread about the Roadster v2!
I had a max speed of 56 mph on mine, going down these crazy WV hills and didn't even have a clue I was going so blazing fast until I checked the readings later!

I have the external battery on back-order and hopefully it will arrive in July.

I was wondering if you could help me with an issue with the Roadster.
On long rides I have issues with my right foot, it's severely arthritic and prone to stress fractures and over use injuries.
Especially with the extended range of the new 2nd battery peddling might become a little difficult for me.
I'm considering wiring a thumb throttle on my Roadster for long trips to cut back a bit on the pedaling if my foot acts up.
Do you know if the controller of the Roadster v2 is wired to accept a thumb throttle?
Any advice you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the roadster for exercise and pedaling, but with 2 batteries I will by talking much longer adventures out in the hills and will need a little break from pedaling if my foot gives out.
Thank you for this thread!
4000 miles, nice!
I only have 400 on mine and need to get some time in on the Roadster.
Sorry about your foot pains. Question: do you have good hard-soled bike shoes, and good shoe inserts? I find that makes a huge difference for me, but I don't have the same issues.

Will need to look to others for electrical mod advice, but I do know people that have had shops mod their other brand bikes to add a throttle. Imagine anything is possible, but not my area of expertise. Yes, with your medical issues I'd think that an ebike with a throttle really is a must have, so you're not stuck out there far away from home!

Sorry about your foot pains. Question: do you have good hard-soled bike shoes, and good shoe inserts? I find that makes a huge difference for me, but I don't have the same issues.

Will need to look to others for electrical mod advice, but I do know people that have had shops mod their other brand bikes to add a throttle. Imagine anything is possible, but not my area of expertise. Yes, with your medical issues I'd think that an ebike with a throttle really is a must have, so you're not stuck out there far away from home!
Thanks for the reply!
I have prescription custom orthotic shoe inserts for my sneakers.
I will keep working on finding a a throttle solution.
Tried contacting my bike's manufacturer Ride1up for advice and they just brushed me off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...rg/orthotics&usg=AOvVaw3APsDKzPvxY765FUPRbxTI

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...rg/orthotics&usg=AOvVaw3APsDKzPvxY765FUPRbxTI

At least for me, having real bike shoes like this (https://www.pearlizumi.com/products/mens-x-alp-flow-15191904) were a big improvement over sneakers, with or without insoles/orthotics.

Rides over ~30 miles in sneakers, made my feet ache and feel sore. After changing to the above bike shoes and better insoles, no longer a problem! Highly recommend! YRMV.

So I bought 2 Gravelsters last year and one is in WA with my son. He sent me this pic today. Said he added new bars ( 720mm x 31.8 Carbon) and lighter pedals. Said it is great on trails up in the Kent WA area. I'm going next week and cant wait to ride. Too darn hot in Palm Springs. My bikes are all resting indoors...

Attachments

• Gravel in WA.jpg
    Gravel in WA.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 316
Lighter peddles, cranks , handle bars and seats can I think, bring the weight down. And maybe have less fatigue while riding.

G
So I bought 2 Gravelsters last year and one is in WA with my son. He sent me this pic today. Said he added new bars ( 720mm x 31.8 Carbon) and lighter pedals. Said it is great on trails up in the Kent WA area. I'm going next week and cant wait to ride. Too darn hot in Palm Springs. My bikes are all resting indoors...
Gravelster is tempting, to get the disc brakes and clearance for wider tires. But can't justify "another" bike 😀.

I considered lighter weight components for my Roadster, but IMHO the cost/value proposition just wasn't there (for me). The biggest difference for me, was changing to lower rolling resistance tires and keeping the tire pressure on the high end. Maybe I'm imagining it, but instantly faster speed and longer distances, and easier for me to ride motor off on flats and minor hills.

Thanks PSm for the recent 4000 mile update. I do enjoy those updates.

I have both the Roadster and the Gravel. I also really like the Roadster, the Gravel a little less so. Have 600 miles on the Roadster, 500 on the Gravel. I love working out at the gym (weights) and then jumping on the Roadster for a quick 6-10 mile cardio.

On the Gravel I'm not a fan of the Tektro disc's. So they may get changed out. The Gravel also just seems bigger and weights a couple #'s more. Range is slightly less on the Gravel. I can get 30 miles+ out the Roadster pretty easily (90% in no assist or level 1 on pavement or bikeways). I have the extender battery but have not added it yet. But the Gravel is mostly rode on gravel or single tracks. On the Gravel's tires the 700/42's are as big as you can get into the front - pretty tight now.

Have done nothing to the Roadster, except a Redshift seat post - I like it just the way it is. The Gravel has the Redshift suspension stem that does help. I did go to a 680mm handle bar but I am back to the stock one along with slightly wider grips - perfect for me. I may actually go to a 24 tooth rear cog as I do get into some above 10% grades.

For me, if I only could have one it would be the Roadster - it's just so damn simple. Actually if I had it to do over I'd probably would have gotten something like the Marin Bobcat mountain/trail non-ebike instead of the Gravel.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSm
Thanks PSm for the recent 4000 mile update. I do enjoy those updates.

I have both the Roadster and the Gravel. I also really like the Roadster, the Gravel a little less so. Have 600 miles on the Roadster, 500 on the Gravel. I love working out at the gym (weights) and then jumping on the Roadster for a quick 6-10 mile cardio.

On the Gravel I'm not a fan of the Tektro disc's. So they may get changed out. The Gravel also just seems bigger and weights a couple #'s more. Range is slightly less on the Gravel. I can get 30 miles+ out the Roadster pretty easily (90% in no assist or level 1 on pavement or bikeways). I have the extender battery but have not added it yet. But the Gravel is mostly rode on gravel or single tracks. On the Gravel's tires the 700/42's are as big as you can get into the front - pretty tight now.

Have done nothing to the Roadster, except a Redshift seat post - I like it just the way it is. The Gravel has the Redshift suspension stem that does help. I did go to a 680mm handle bar but I am back to the stock one along with slightly wider grips - perfect for me. I may actually go to a 24 tooth rear cog as I do get into some above 10% grades.

For me, if I only could have one it would be the Roadster - it's just so damn simple. Actually if I had it to do over I'd probably would have gotten something like the Marin Bobcat mountain/trail non-ebike instead of the Gravel.
Thanks, and great input from you on the Gravel. It gives me some further justification to stick with the Roadster. So far, it's the best model of it's kind I've seen out there, at any price. Would love to see someone come out with a carbon fiber version of a single speed belt driven ebike that is even much lighter, but haven't come across that (and maybe too niche of an ask).

See top, edited post, for my 7500 mile, 0.5 million ft altitude gained, update 😃

Back