Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Finally broken in after around 500 miles. Finest saddle you can get. The honey, so matches the frame also. Now I will have no problem with comfort, on all day rides.

Attachments

• 20200227_154904.jpg
    20200227_154904.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 544
I am wondering the exact same thing. The Gain is a lot cheaper than the Creo, but reading some user experiences it appears (but I'm not sure) that real world range of the Creo is longer than the Gain. I read an article in Road Bike Action that said the motor on the Creo is unusually efficient. It's over 80% efficiency from a cadence of 60 to 110 and it peaks at around 84% efficiency at a cadence of 100.

How efficient are hub motors? I guess the other factor is that the battery in the Creo is bigger than the battery in the Gain.

If the cost were the same between the two I think I'd go for the Creo, but given the significant price difference I'm considering the Gain as well.

The conversation is getting too bogged down in esoteric and vague statistics about power, weight, and battery efficiencies that misses the whole point and distorts what Orbea's true intent was bringing the GAIN ebike to market. I've owned the M20i Limited version (full carbon,Ultegra Di2, and Mavik Cosmic Pro carbon wheelset), for more than a year and couldn't be happier. The bike does precisely what the iconic Spanish bike maker Orbea says it will do, ENHANCE the ride, it claims to do just that and nothing else. It was designed specifically to mimic the classic road bike aesthetic, feel and handling with enough power assist to make climbing and riding into a cross/headwind a bit less daunting and accomplishes all splendidly. If it's a moto some critics are looking for, something to do ALL the the work, then buy a scooter because that's really want they want anyway. I myself split time between my GAIN and a conventional Lynskey Helix Pro Ti road bike, of course they feel and perform differently but I enjoy riding both and the GAIN in particularly when now at 66 yo the goal is to continue cycling as a fitness and high quality exercise activity. What are the expectations not being met when Orbea's GAIN was crafted specifically to provide a traditional roadie options when scant free time, longer distances, and/or age erode cardio vascular endurance and strength. My 40 years of serious riding includes road and track competition, endurance events, commuting, Sportif's, MTB trail riding, and now some gravel and the GAIN is another tool in the bag to keep me on the bike doing a thing I love. Competition in this market segment has exploded in the year since I bought my GAIN and there are a number of very good options available now that weren't to me when I was in buying mode but then that's the way it is now. I advise caution when looking at anything Specialized since virtually all Specialized technologies are proprietary and while there is no industry standard for ebike motors, your service choices will be limited exclusively to Specialized dealers. Consider pricing too, the new Creo Turbo SL comes in at a whopping $13,500 list, S Works territory there, even a downgrade version in the vicinity of $9,000 is out of my price range. So we all know you get what you pay for and while Specialized is a top flight bike maker with a rabid following here you have to ask yourself are you really. I wouldn't think of the GAIN as settling on a lesser choice, the bike is an excellent option so long as you know and understand it's capability and what exactly it will do for you.

I've really enjoyed my Gain, it does exactly what I wanted it to do at a very fair price. I could care less if it has a hub motor, a mid drive, or a hamster powering it, it lets me ride a bike that feels like a real bike and gives me a boost when I need it.

I've really enjoyed my Gain, it does exactly what I wanted it to do at a very fair price. I could care less if it has a hub motor, a mid drive, or a hamster powering it, it lets me ride a bike that feels like a real bike and gives me a boost when I need it.

As we say here in UK. 'IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN' Great bike, value for money. I bought two.

The conversation is getting too bogged down in esoteric and vague statistics about power, weight, and battery efficiencies that misses the whole point and distorts what Orbea's true intent was bringing the GAIN ebike to market. I've owned the M20i Limited version (full carbon,Ultegra Di2, and Mavik Cosmic Pro carbon wheelset), for more than a year and couldn't be happier. The bike does precisely what the iconic Spanish bike maker Orbea says it will do, ENHANCE the ride, it claims to do just that and nothing else. It was designed specifically to mimic the classic road bike aesthetic, feel and handling with enough power assist to make climbing and riding into a cross/headwind a bit less daunting and accomplishes all splendidly. If it's a moto some critics are looking for, something to do ALL the the work, then buy a scooter because that's really want they want anyway. I myself split time between my GAIN and a conventional Lynskey Helix Pro Ti road bike, of course they feel and perform differently but I enjoy riding both and the GAIN in particularly when now at 66 yo the goal is to continue cycling as a fitness and high quality exercise activity. What are the expectations not being met when Orbea's GAIN was crafted specifically to provide a traditional roadie options when scant free time, longer distances, and/or age erode cardio vascular endurance and strength. My 40 years of serious riding includes road and track competition, endurance events, commuting, Sportif's, MTB trail riding, and now some gravel and the GAIN is another tool in the bag to keep me on the bike doing a thing I love. Competition in this market segment has exploded in the year since I bought my GAIN and there are a number of very good options available now that weren't to me when I was in buying mode but then that's the way it is now. I advise caution when looking at anything Specialized since virtually all Specialized technologies are proprietary and while there is no industry standard for ebike motors, your service choices will be limited exclusively to Specialized dealers. Consider pricing too, the new Creo Turbo SL comes in at a whopping $13,500 list, S Works territory there, even a downgrade version in the vicinity of $9,000 is out of my price range. So we all know you get what you pay for and while Specialized is a top flight bike maker with a rabid following here you have to ask yourself are you really. I wouldn't think of the GAIN as settling on a lesser choice, the bike is an excellent option so long as you know and understand it's capability and what exactly it will do for you.

Hey Steve, me too!!!

142528050.jTUq3EpQ.Lynskey008a.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that is the bike I replaced with my Orbea Gain D-30. Mine is a 2017 Lynskey Helix with Campy Record 11 speed mechanical group and Zonda wheels. I had to look a couple times when I saw this post to make sure it wasn't mine. Love the bike, but because of physical issues it just won't work for me anymore. Hope you love yours. Do you know the story about the twisted downtube?

Thanks, I really like the Lynskey but last year the Gain took most of the duty because of the speed available with the elec assist :). It's nice to be able to go out and avg 20mph again. It's depressing that when you get old you can only hope to maintain your riding fitness, or lose it more slowly, lol. I'm hoping training on Zwift has helped and I'll be able to hit the rode in top old man form come spring.

Didn't the frame come about due to a manufacturing error or something like that?

Thanks, I really like the Lynskey but last year the Gain took most of the duty because of the speed available with the elec assist :). It's nice to be able to go out and avg 20mph again. It's depressing that when you get old you can only hope to maintain your riding fitness, or lose it more slowly, lol. I'm hoping training on Zwift has helped and I'll be able to hit the rode in top old man form come spring.

Didn't the frame come about due to a manufacturing error or something like that?

Brew, have you tried Rouvy? Half price of Zwift. For me not racing anymore I find it more compatible with the riding I do now.

That does look nice, and my wife and I can share at the same monthly cost!!

If you give it a try? Ride the Pock Pedal route (in UK Cycling Events) I live on the course, not far at all from Nunburnholme. The major climb on the route. I'm up there at least twice a week.

Road that route and that climb is tough but it has some nice looking country side. To me it feels like Rouvy may be a bit tougher than Zwift when it comes to powering up inclines?
The Zwift app seems a little easier to navigate but will spend a little more time during the free trial to figure out Rouvy. I did that route in 56:12, not sure how that compares to other guys my age but I had to work hard to get that.

Road that route and that climb is tough but it has some nice looking country side. To me it feels like Rouvy may be a bit tougher than Zwift when it comes to powering up inclines?
The Zwift app seems a little easier to navigate but will spend a little more time during the free trial to figure out Rouvy. I did that route in 56:12, not sure how that compares to other guys my age but I had to work hard to get that.

Brew, you can alter the resistance setting for each ride. I have a Saris H3 smart trainer, and have found on Rouvy at 100% it is way to hard. I can climb Nunburnholme around 10mph in the road, to do this on Rouvy I have to set resistance at approximately 60% this also goes for all the Rouvy rides I do. Before you begin your ride, press pause, go into settings (cog wheel or hamburger button) in the page is various options for viewing ride and also Reality Level. This adjusts the amount of resistance to the trainer. A good few others have also had to make this adjust.

That's an excellent time. A Sunday Club ride doing that course would be around 70-75 mins.

Last month I received my Orbea Gain M20i. I have Mavic aluminium UST wheels and Mavic UST 700 x 28c Tubeless tyres, but with tubes. (I do not know if Orbea or my LBS supplied the tubes). I am in Australia and the Gain is speed limited to 25 kph.

The 2020 model seems to have 2 main differences

1. The motor now has Bluetooth and Ant+ connectivity

2. The bike is supplied with a “Orbea coachsmart” display on an integrated mount.

I think the display is this https://www.o-synce-shop.de/shop/en/bike-computers/coachsmart/105/coachsmart-lev. It connects to the motor by Ant+. The display shows the current speed, the total odometer reading of the motor, the current trip distance, current trip time and the battery level. I can also change the assistance level for L0 to L3 by the use of the 2 buttons. The currently selected assistance level is also displayed using the symbols that are typically used on bicycle computers to show if speed is average, below average or above average.

I find the display very useful. I normally only use the iWoc ONE to turn the bike off/on.

The integrated mount is plastic and comes from the head stem. It uses a Garmin mount (there were other adaptors included). I found that if I don’t turn on the motor first and then the coachsmart, the odometer is not always displayed.

I am 69 years old and am a regular rider; normally about 50 km at a time, 4 or 5 times a week. The rides are either bunch rides on the “flat” sitting about 32 kph or in the Adelaide Hills (used for the Tour Down Under). These days I have some fatigue and do not have enough endurance to comfortably complete the hills rides; hence the Orbea Gain. To date I have done about 400 km.

I have set the assistance levels to L1 40%, L2 70% and L3 100%. I generally leave the motor on L1 at all times and turn up assistance if needed.

I love the Gain for the hills rides. When with acquaintances, I use L1 and I can keep up with them, but I still am working hard, but I don't get completely exhausted. If I ride in the hills on my own, I might use more assistance to go faster and further!

I tried the bike for the flat rides, but I mainly using my old bike. With the Gain, generally I can keep up with everyone, even though the motor only works when starting off. The only time I have an issue when the road has a gentle long incline. On my normal road bike I can sit on 26 to 30 kph. With the extra weight of the Gain I cannot keep up the speed of the other riders; I drop back to 25/26 kph with motor assistance.

Overall, I love the Orbea Gain M20i

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

I discovered that my Garmin Edge Explore has an ebike datascreen that will pair up with my Gain D-30 motor. I believe this is something new for Garmins. When I recently updated my unit it appeared. Pairing to the motor was easy. It shows battery life and what assistance level you are in. You can adjust assistance up and down by buttons on the computer. (You have to push the desired + or - button twice to change assist levels, just like you have to do with the iWoc button). You can also add other data fields to the screen that you would like. The ability to go up and down is a game changer. I don't really like having to cycle through the iWoc one button. You have to turn the bike on and off with the iWoc one button, but after that the computer will control the assist level.

I discovered that my Garmin Edge Explore has an ebike datascreen that will pair up with my Gain D-30 motor. I believe this is something new for Garmins. When I recently updated my unit it appeared. Pairing to the motor was easy. It shows battery life and what assistance level you are in. You can adjust assistance up and down by buttons on the computer. (You have to push the desired + or - button twice to change assist levels, just like you have to do with the iWoc button). You can also add other data fields to the screen that you would like. The ability to go up and down is a game changer. I don't really like having to cycle through the iWoc one button. You have to turn the bike on and off with the iWoc one button, but after that the computer will control the assist level.

How old is your 'D' Gain?

I read that Wahoo was introducing that on their computers. I was wondering if Garmin would follow suit. Sounds like they did it in a firmware update.

I read that Wahoo was introducing that on their computers. I was wondering if Garmin would follow suit. Sounds like they did it in a firmware update.
[/QUOT

Yes they have. Believe a very recent update to the Edge Explorer. Has a new page added for electric bikes.

Hi.

Has anyone suffered lag with their orbea gain. Once I hit 26Kms it feels like im riding in treacle until I drop below 25ins and the motor is on. I’ve checked the brakes and they are fine.
thanks

Back