Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Hi energy 11. No, the down tube battery is not user removable (not impossible but only meant for dealer removal) and the external battery works by recharging the internal battery, it doesn't power the system directly.

Hmmm... I would have to disagree that L1 just makes up for the added weight of the bike. It gives me a significant boost and I do my rides mostly in L1.

Reading owners differing views on the amount of assist offered at various levels, I'm beginning to wonder if there is inconsistencies in the manufacture of the X35 unit? I for example get great mileage often 100+ miles from one charge. However the amount of assist given on level one does not amount to anything more than discernable.

Sol, I as you may know? I have 2 Gains an M20i and a D (for winter) if on both I lowered the assist to 10%? I may as well switch it off (on both of them) turning the power down to 50% in level 1 reduces the amount of help considerably. Let's face it level one just about makes up for the extra weight the bike is. Ps. The demo I had on trial last year for a few days, offered exactly the same assist settings as the two bikes I own.
I have turned my M30 level 1 down to 10% and can still feel plenty power ,The power does not show on the app anymore . thats why I took it to my dealer who after talking to Orbea and tested using dealer app said it was performing as designed . I am still sure it was different before September when it changed . I admit I probably could ride this bike without any power but its a great ride and I do enjoy that little push and to know I don't have to struggle against the wind or hills .

And that's what makes it a great bike, the power is more of an emergency help, so unlike the "normal" 60 pound ebike you get real exercise, but we seem to be getting real different results here. I can definitely feel level 1 at 100% but it's non-existent at 10%. This is a 250 watt motor. I read somewhere that at level 1 it is putting out 75 watts. If it were linear 10% would be 7.5 watts... There is no way that 7.5 watts would be felt as a help on any bike. I realize it may not be linear, but still it makes no sense unless maybe different versions of the app behave differently? Maybe on some 10% is really limiting it to 7.5 and on others it's actually 40 watts for example? And yes if you rarely use power it's possible to go forever, but I'm interested in seeing the milage when level 1 is left on consistently and if there are consistent increases in range if level 1 is lowered to, for example, 50%. Of course with a US bike that's not hard to do unless you're a real fast rider due to the 20mph cut-off. At a 15.5 cut off it would mean going at a slower speed to test.

Update on Battery Extender issue:
I have heard from Orbea USA re my LED lite on the bike occasionally flashing pink. While they didn't have any specific resolve, they did report their data base shows this is the first issue of this type that has been reported to them. They are researching it further and have promised to get back to me. They seem to think at this point it may be in the connection between the two batteries.

They and the LBS have both offered to replace the extender and its been my decision to see if it can be resolved without that as my LBS is 1.25 hrs each way. Right now it's more of an annoyance then anything and not interfering with my rides.

Will keep you posted.
If it were me, I would get it replaced. You paid a lot of money for the battery and its condition could worsen or it could fail altogether.

Reading owners differing views on the amount of assist offered at various levels, I'm beginning to wonder if there is inconsistencies in the manufacture of the X35 unit? I for example get great mileage often 100+ miles from one charge. However the amount of assist given on level one does not amount to anything more than discernable.
See my power output chart in post #66 above. How does your's compare to mine? Mine is putting out about 90 watts in L1. That's a significant amount of power.

See my power output chart in post #66 above. How does your's compare to mine? Mine is putting out about 90 watts in L1. That's a significant amount of power.
Thanks Mike, I have seen the charts before but had forgotten ,I will have to get out (when the rain stops) and check what power is being put out in the three levels at different percentages.

Next time out Mike. Hopefully later next week? Let ya know.

Good idea Mike. I only use the app when the bike isn't moving since I hate having a phone on the handle bar, but I'll try it next time and check. I just cleaned and greased the chain today. I hate doing that with a passion, so if anyone ever makes a light ebike with a belt I'll be the first in line!

So I used the app today. I had level 1 set to 82% and it was outputting between 60-80 watts on level ground and I was at a cadence of about 85rpm. I used level 2 set at 100% for a couple of minutes at the end just to see and the app claimed that it was outputting about 180-200 watts. By the way, on the main screen there is a power display. I'm assuming it's showing the percentage of power given by the battery since when I'm not using assist it stays at 0. In any case, on level 1 it stays at 18-22, but on level 2 it goes to 65-75 for what if anything that's worth.

So I used the app today. I had level 1 set to 82% and it was outputting between 60-80 watts on level ground and I was at a cadence of about 85rpm. I used level 2 set at 100% for a couple of minutes at the end just to see and the app claimed that it was outputting about 180-200 watts. By the way, on the main screen there is a power display. I'm assuming it's showing the percentage of power given by the battery since when I'm not using assist it stays at 0. In any case, on level 1 it stays at 18-22, but on level 2 it goes to 65-75 for what if anything that's worth.
That seems to be like mine. I would say your system is working OK.

I went out this morning so I could see power output . Level 1 set at 20% level 2 80% level 3 100%

I used about 7% battery in 2.5 miles before changing to level 2 and then level 3 . By the time I had done 5 miles and was back home , I had used 23% battery .

I had more power than needed even in level 1 , level 2 and 3 had to much power on slightly damp cold roads. I don't have any control over the delivery of the power.

I found out I could make the motor run by just moving the pedals forward and back by just a few inches, once I found the point where the motor switched on. I hope you can understand what I mean?

I have attached from this morning and a file from a few months ago( I used 5% battery ) when the bike was working properly.

Attachments

• chart (2).jpeg
    chart (2).jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 448
  • chart (1).jpeg
    chart (1).jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
I went out this morning so I could see power output . Level 1 set at 20% level 2 80% level 3 100%

I used about 7% battery in 2.5 miles before changing to level 2 and then level 3 . By the time I had done 5 miles and was back home , I had used 33% battery .

I had more power than needed even in level 1 , level 2 and 3 had to much power on slightly damp cold roads. I don't have any control over the delivery of the power.

I found out I could make the motor run by just moving the pedals forward and back by just a few inches, once I found the point where the motor switched on. I hope you can understand what I mean?

I have attached from this morning and a file from a few months ago when the bike was working properly.
Good Morning, Arao99,
I'm curious about your power usage. They seem high to me. I don't use the ebikemotion app at all as my Garmin gives me all the data I require on my rides. But I note at what distance my led changes colors.

You state you set your L1 power to 20% and used 7% of your battery at 2.5 miles. This would extrapolate to using 70% at 25 miles/40kms. My experience has been I use about 25% every 25-30 kms or 15.5-18.6 miles using level 1 set at 100% riding flat terrain. So I am wondering why your power usage would be so much greater?

These numbers definitely change if there is much wind/elevation involved or as your have noted you used 26% of your power in your last 2.5 miles using levels 2&3. Even this seems high to me. Were you climbing?

I would have thought setting your power level at 20% would have allowed you much greater efficiency than it appears to have.

Good Morning, Arao99,
I'm curious about your power usage. They seem high to me. I don't use the ebikemotion app at all as my Garmin gives me all the data I require on my rides. But I note at what distance my led changes colors.

You state you set your L1 power to 20% and used 7% of your battery at 2.5 miles. This would extrapolate to using 70% at 25 miles/40kms. My experience has been I use about 25% every 25-30 kms or 15.5-18.6 miles using level 1 set at 100% riding flat terrain. So I am wondering why your power usage would be so much greater?

These numbers definitely change if there is much wind/elevation involved or as your have noted you used 26% of your power in your last 2.5 miles using levels 2&3. Even this seems high to me. Were you climbing?

I would have thought setting your power level at 20% would have allowed you much greater efficiency than it appears to have.
My bike use to perform the same as yours, till September when it changed for some unknown reason . I did take it to my dealer who said the bike was working as it should. Today was quite cold 4C my home trip was all down hill ,I used 26% in total for the 5 miles. I will have to go back to the shop .

My bike use to perform the same as yours, till September when it changed for some unknown reason . I did take it to my dealer who said the bike was working as it should. Today was quite cold 4C my home trip was all down hill ,I used 26% in total for the 5 miles. I will have to go back to the shop .
Does the app in the motor settings say you are at 20%? When you make changes there, you have to save or else they won't.

You know, I didn't see much "savings" from turning my level 1 to 82% instead of 100% (although I definitely noticed less assistance). When I get the chance I'm going to try to take at least a 20 mile ride at 50% to see if I am really saving any battery power. Given the way hub motors work it's a real possibility that lowering the level will give you less power which one might want to do for a harder workout or because they like the feel of less power, but it may very well be negligible when it comes to saving battery power. As for the different ranges we're reporting, on a bike with a 250 watt motor I'm guessing that things like the rider weight may start influencing the results substantially? For what it's worth I'm 6'2" and weigh 170 pounds so I'm no light weight. Since I'm in SW Florida it's all flat terrain, but I'm on the coast so there is always a strong headwind and I'm amazed at how much battery power that can eat up.

Does the app in the motor settings say you are at 20%? When you make changes there, you have to save or else they won't.
Yes it does Mike I have changed it a few times and could feel less power but at the moment it does not seem to make any difference and when riding with the app. on I can not see any power just battery. I went out with my mate who also has the same bike as me and I accidentally connected to his bike and could see power and battery. I have spoken to a different dealer (the one my mate bought his bike from ) and have it booked in for next week for them to take a look.

Today I took my M30 into an independent bike shop who sell Orbea, I had a phone call an hour later say there is a sensor problem that we have not seen before , the bike is giving full power in every mode. the Orbea rep is coming to the shop on Wednesday who will speak to a tech in Spain to work out what is wrong.

Back