Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

It seemed to give a more reasonable power level, but I mostly use eco mode. I need to ride more challenging terrain, but it's winter here and I'm just doing local rides.

It's supposed to be winter here too. But you wouldn't know it. Four weeks today until spring officially starts. This last two weeks have been very mild, today hit 18c (66f) with the promise of it warmer over the next few days. Meanwhile I've picked up first cough of winter, keeping me off the bike - drat. I recall my Grandmother quoting to me an old Yorkshire saying "Never cast a clout - til Mays out) If it's still on time? Only three weeks before I get my Gain. Then winter will begin.

Why not make a trip to the US and buy a Gain there? You might have trouble getting it serviced in Canada though until they are carried there.

I dropped my level 2 power on my Gain to 85%, as I thought it gave too much assistance and thus used too much battery.
Why not make a trip to the US and buy a Gain there? You might have trouble getting it serviced in Canada though until they are carried there.

I dropped my level 2 power on my Gain to 85%, as I thought it gave too much assistance and thus used too much battery.
Mike how did you do that?

Thanks for the review, AvgJoe.
I lead a senior's cycling group and the two road bikes I ride are non-powered (Special Diverge and Giant Defy Pro 0).
I'm a half decently strong rider for my age (67), but recent heart issues means that I may have to go to an e-road bike to help me on the hills.
I also own a Pedego Ridgerider mountain bike and it has plenty of torque, making hill climbing a breeze. Realistically, I don't need that much power. That's why I think the Gain D20 would work for me.

I did read one review on the D20 and the rider said he thought the rear end was overly stiff and the front end had a bit too much flex (rotor rubbing while cornering). What's your thoughts on the bike's comfort level?

Also, where do you live? I live in British Columbia, Canada, and I don't think this bike is available in Canada yet. I really hope that when the bike is available they bump the motor cut-off to our province's 32km max.
I can't see me hitting more than 32km up hills. :)

Sorry for the delay. I live in the Washington, DC area. I find the Gain D20 comfortable and have now ridden 400 Miles since late December. That is about half my total miles, the other has been on my Trek Domane SL6 disc. So far no troubles or complaints.

Sorry for the delay. I live in the Washington, DC area. I find the Gain D20 comfortable and have now ridden 400 Miles since late December. That is about half my total miles, the other has been on my Trek Domane SL6 disc. So far no troubles or complaints.

Like you I also ride a Domane, and we both know how that rides. Got a Gain arriving next month. How would you compare to SL?

I have ordered a Orbea Gain M20i in orange. It should arrive around April 1st. Thanks for all the info. you guys have posted which helped me make the decision. I currently ride a Litespeed Vortex with Campy super record 11. I'm 74 and could use some assist to keep up with younger - stronger club riders. Live in central VA and most any local 30 mile ride has around 1K feet elevation gain. When we go to the Blue Ridge its more like 4K.

I have ordered a Orbea Gain M20i in orange. It should arrive around April 1st. Thanks for all the info. you guys have posted which helped me make the decision. I currently ride a Litespeed Vortex with Campy super record 11. I'm 74 and could use some assist to keep up with younger - stronger club riders. Live in central VA and most any local 30 mile ride has around 1K feet elevation gain. When we go to the Blue Ridge its more like 4K.

Like you M20 19 in orange, also ordered with Mavic Carbon wheels. Should hopefully be here 16th March? If not given Brexit, who knows? Meanwhile got, Basso, Storck and Bob Jackson that look surplus to requirements, if the Gain fulfils it's object? Will be keen to hear your views next month?

I noticed something today riding my bike with the app. I set to assist to Level 0 (no assist), and while pedaling under 20 mph, the motor rpm was 200-250 (same as if it were under powered assist). When I pedaled over 20 mph, the motor rpm dropped to ~44. So, am I wasting my pedaling effort by spinning the motor? I thought there was supposed to be no drag when the motor is off. I actually didn't feel any drag though. Curious. I might email Orbea about this.

Orbea D40 Electric Bike Impressions

Today I tried the Orbea D40 e-bike. I have been looking at e bikes because I am now 70, (female) older and way slower. I was never a top notch rider and am in my club’s slower rider groups that does anywhere from 30 to 45 miles at a time. Occasionally, when I am in shape and have ridden a lot, I do metric centuries, which I find fun. But I don’t want to ride 3 or 4 days a week to try to be able to ride faster and longer courses.

After looking at heavier and beefier pedal assist e-bikes, I found they were all too heavy for me to lift and put on my shelf-type bike rack by myself. That rules them out. Plus the pedal assist was over powering but great on the hills. The Giant E pedal assist e bike I tried was more like riding a small motor scooter.

Enter the new light weight e-bikes put out my Orbea, Bianchi, Wilier and others. Most of them are using the ebikemotion X35 250 watt battery in the rear hub. It is a true pedal assist bike.

The on/off switch and levels are on the top frame bar. But the button needs some time to get used to as you have to be in blinking mode to go up or down a level which means pushing the buttons a lot. Plus you have to look down at it, which is a bit distracting. I would have preferred the button to be on the handle bars. Plus I found combining the levels with the gears also takes some time to get used to and figure out what is best at what gear.

The lowest level, green was surprisingly robust and a bit overpowering on the flats. On the flats I really didn’t need it, but on small hills it was fine. The orange level I struggled to find the right place and gears. This will take more work for me.

But for me and my level, I found the red/highest level a bit underwhelming. Yes, it revved up, but on the 16% short hill I tried it on, I had to make sure that a) I had already switched to red, and b) I was still in my lowest gear. This took time and practice in coordinating the buttons and shifting. It worked well to about half way up, and then I was working very hard to make it to the top, and it was not a very long hill. Great for in-shape riders, looking for just a little pedal assist, but surprisingly challenging for an out-of-shape, lower end rider. I made it up the hill two out of three times, but on one try, didn’t switch to red and low gear fast enough and the motor basically stopped, the extra weight showed up, and I had to get off the bike and push it the rest of the way up the hill. A bit discouraging.

I didn’t have the opportunity to try it on rolling hills, but I think I would like it. So yes, I will now be able to stay up with the faster riders in my C (lower) class, but I would not be able to take on sustained hills with higher riders. For example, at my level, and on my Specialized Ruby with extra gears, I would not be able to go up Page Mill Road in Palo Alto up to Skyline, a fairly steep hill. Even with the Orbea at red, I doubt I could do it. In other words, the bike would be good for my level and my class, and I probably be able to keep up with higher levels on the flats, but definitely not higher end riders on long climbs. But I might try it.
Handling wise, it is an interesting bike. Light on the front end and heavier on the back. It is a compromise between my road bike and a heavier e-bike and you have to be prepared that you need to compensate on turns and a bit downhill. I did think it was a bit slower downhill, and those that regularly bomb downhills, will probably feel somewhat of a difference.

Overall, I liked the bike, but it isn’t going to allow me to ride with A and B riders who do lots of hills. The handling is a compromise and that is OK with me. What I would have preferred is a bike with a bit more assist and push up steep hills.

Also, the industry seems to be on the cusp with light weight bikes. I believe in the next few years we will see the development of lighter and more powerful motors that will help people like me. Since the Orbea has the largest range of lightweight bikes right now, I will probably go with a lower to medium end bike and then see how the industry has changed and progressed in the next few years, then change up. I am sure that we will see more companies offering more lightweight and maybe medium weight options in the future.

Orbea D40 Electric Bike Impressions

Today I tried the Orbea D40 e-bike. I have been looking at e bikes because I am now 70, (female) older and way slower. I was never a top notch rider and am in my club’s slower rider groups that does anywhere from 30 to 45 miles at a time. Occasionally, when I am in shape and have ridden a lot, I do metric centuries, which I find fun. But I don’t want to ride 3 or 4 days a week to try to be able to ride faster and longer courses.

After looking at heavier and beefier pedal assist e-bikes, I found they were all too heavy for me to lift and put on my shelf-type bike rack by myself. That rules them out. Plus the pedal assist was over powering but great on the hills. The Giant E pedal assist e bike I tried was more like riding a small motor scooter.

Enter the new light weight e-bikes put out my Orbea, Bianchi, Wilier and others. Most of them are using the ebikemotion X35 250 watt battery in the rear hub. It is a true pedal assist bike.

The on/off switch and levels are on the top frame bar. But the button needs some time to get used to as you have to be in blinking mode to go up or down a level which means pushing the buttons a lot. Plus you have to look down at it, which is a bit distracting. I would have preferred the button to be on the handle bars. Plus I found combining the levels with the gears also takes some time to get used to and figure out what is best at what gear.

The lowest level, green was surprisingly robust and a bit overpowering on the flats. On the flats I really didn’t need it, but on small hills it was fine. The orange level I struggled to find the right place and gears. This will take more work for me.

But for me and my level, I found the red/highest level a bit underwhelming. Yes, it revved up, but on the 16% short hill I tried it on, I had to make sure that a) I had already switched to red, and b) I was still in my lowest gear. This took time and practice in coordinating the buttons and shifting. It worked well to about half way up, and then I was working very hard to make it to the top, and it was not a very long hill. Great for in-shape riders, looking for just a little pedal assist, but surprisingly challenging for an out-of-shape, lower end rider. I made it up the hill two out of three times, but on one try, didn’t switch to red and low gear fast enough and the motor basically stopped, the extra weight showed up, and I had to get off the bike and push it the rest of the way up the hill. A bit discouraging.

I didn’t have the opportunity to try it on rolling hills, but I think I would like it. So yes, I will now be able to stay up with the faster riders in my C (lower) class, but I would not be able to take on sustained hills with higher riders. For example, at my level, and on my Specialized Ruby with extra gears, I would not be able to go up Page Mill Road in Palo Alto up to Skyline, a fairly steep hill. Even with the Orbea at red, I doubt I could do it. In other words, the bike would be good for my level and my class, and I probably be able to keep up with higher levels on the flats, but definitely not higher end riders on long climbs. But I might try it.
Handling wise, it is an interesting bike. Light on the front end and heavier on the back. It is a compromise between my road bike and a heavier e-bike and you have to be prepared that you need to compensate on turns and a bit downhill. I did think it was a bit slower downhill, and those that regularly bomb downhills, will probably feel somewhat of a difference.

Overall, I liked the bike, but it isn’t going to allow me to ride with A and B riders who do lots of hills. The handling is a compromise and that is OK with me. What I would have preferred is a bike with a bit more assist and push up steep hills.

Also, the industry seems to be on the cusp with light weight bikes. I believe in the next few years we will see the development of lighter and more powerful motors that will help people like me. Since the Orbea has the largest range of lightweight bikes right now, I will probably go with a lower to medium end bike and then see how the industry has changed and progressed in the next few years, then change up. I am sure that we will see more companies offering more lightweight and maybe medium weight options in the future.

You will find in the app, you can adjust the percentage of assist for each level. So if you think eco mode is too strong? You have the ability to dial it back. I'm surprised max assist, you found disappointing? Was it a demo bike? I'm wondering if the app has been messed around with? For sure you will quickly work out the best cadence and gear for various hills. I find, I can climb in a couple of gears higher in all assist modes. It's as though the motor responds with more torque applied than softer pedalling when climbing? One thing's for sure? You will get stronger as a rider. The Obrea will encourage you to ride further, quicker and higher and MORE often.

Hi I just took delivery of a D30 over the past weekend. I havent yet given it a try, but it looks like a million bucks. Nobody ever suspects that its an ebike.

Hi I just took delivery of a D30 over the past weekend. I havent yet given it a try, but it looks like a million bucks. Nobody ever suspects that its an ebike.

It's a bike, that you make it whatever you want it to be.

Hey, does anyone know if the D31 (2019) comes with a tube or tubeless? The wheels and tyres are certainly tubeless ready but I can't find any detailed information about the actual thing.

Tried both the Bianchi Aria-e and the Orbea Gain M20 today. The Bianchi Aria-e has been very popular and Bianchi was surprised at how well-received it has been. Hard to find demos. I had to email Bianchi to ask them who had a demo. The dealer had one 55 cm for demo although I ride a 50 cm, but he shortened the stem and lowered the seat and it worked fine. The way the Bianchi is set, the eco mode is much lighter feeling than the Gain. But the orange and red levels felt the same. I was able to go up rolling hills with ease, but being out-of-shape to begin with, I definitely was tired after an hour's ride. The Bianchi is a very sleek looking bike with a very appealing looking frame. But compared with Orbea Gain at the same price, the components were not as good.

Then I tried the Orbea Gain M20 at another store. What stood out was how revved up the eco mode was. As soon as I jumped on it, it felt like it was bucking to go. Just light pedaling resulted in quite the power. This is something I would change with the app. I found some more rolling hills and did fantastic on hills where I would be huffing and puffing. The bike I was hoping to get is the M20i in blue and white, but they have to "special" order. It might take 3 weeks or more.

The store I was at wouldn't even consider any incentives or discounts and they made clear that they would charge me for getting a new stem or other parts that I would need to adjust the bike to fit me. Anyone know where I can get discounts on the Orbea's in the USA?

In the meantime Wilier now has a line of e-bikes and my local dealer should have them in about two weeks. They use the same ebikemotion motor and top tube buttons. The cost for the Di2 model is a bit higher than the Orbeas, but not by much. This dealer wants very badly to sell me an e-bike so probably will be more flexible on price or throw in incentives. BTW, I am not a fan of the way the buttons work at all. I actually emailed ebikemotion and told them about my thoughts on it. They said that they are coming up with a different button system for next year's models, but would not elaborate on it.

After riding both bikes (maybe a total of 12 miles up and down hills), I can tell I have been out riding. I am tired. It is a true pedal assist, but you still know you have been out bike riding.

Couple of pointers for you SKent. Here in UK, I got £400 discount on a SPECIAL ORDER GAIN and Paint Job. Also had bars,stem, sprockets and tyre's altered to suit my needs (Obrea undertakes this for no extra cost) if he can source in 3 week's? The bike is already in the States. Delivery is normally 6 weeks. One final point? The saddle, anyone purchasing may not get on with it. A decent shop that wants to build a relationship, would change it out. Without question.

Back