Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

You might need a new seatpost. The bike comes with a slack (72.6 degree) seat tube angle. My saddle is shoved all the way forward on the rails and I'm still short of my "fitted" position by 3-4mm. It seems OK so I'm going to live with it. I too put on my preferred saddle. Odd that the aluminum Gains have a 74 degree seat tube angle.[/QUOT

Usually I'm pushing it as far back on the rail as possible. Should really ride a 56cm frame. However always preffered the compactness of a 54, all combined with a 130mm stem. I'm long in the body with shorter legs. That's why Ducatti's always fitted me and felt natural. I will though take that on advice.

Also, if the 105 is the new R7000 version it has significant trickle-down mechanical and aesthetic upgrades from Dura-Ace R9100 and Ultegra R8000.*

I'd be happy with this new 105 groupset.

*bikeradar article-August 09, 2018

Been waiting for my Gain M20i since August. Got an email from my dealer that it was shipped this week. Looking forward to it. I'm 70 and most of the group I ride with are 10 to 15 years younger and I'm struggling to keep up particularly climbing. That's what I hope to get out of it.

I emailed Orbea to find out when they plan on bringing the Gain into Canada. Their reply was that they didn't know. Looks like it could be a while, if ever.
I too have been trying to get a m20i in Canada. Recieved a message from their sales rep last week it will be 2020 before they arrive in Canada. They were originally to be available now. Maybe the popularity elsewhere of the bike.

Been waiting for my Gain M20i since August. Got an email from my dealer that it was shipped this week. Looking forward to it. I'm 70 and most of the group I ride with are 10 to 15 years younger and I'm struggling to keep up particularly climbing. That's what I hope to get out of it.

Couple of pals, have purchased one for that very reason. Both now go out for longer, hillier and much more sociable rides with respective groups. If I owned a cycle shop, I would be looking forward to a bright future.

Thanks for the review, AvgJoe.
I lead a senior's cycling group and the two road bikes I ride are non-powered (Special Diverge and Giant Defy Pro 0).
I'm a half decently strong rider for my age (67), but recent heart issues means that I may have to go to an e-road bike to help me on the hills.
I also own a Pedego Ridgerider mountain bike and it has plenty of torque, making hill climbing a breeze. Realistically, I don't need that much power. That's why I think the Gain D20 would work for me.

I did read one review on the D20 and the rider said he thought the rear end was overly stiff and the front end had a bit too much flex (rotor rubbing while cornering). What's your thoughts on the bike's comfort level?

Also, where do you live? I live in British Columbia, Canada, and I don't think this bike is available in Canada yet. I really hope that when the bike is available they bump the motor cut-off to our province's 32km max.
I can't see me hitting more than 32km up hills. :)

The Gains in North America will be limited to 32kph (20 mph). Don't think that I would have bought on at the 25kph that Europe is restricted to.

Understand your position. But who are they aimed at? They look like a conventional road bike, handle like one and position wise, identical to a road machine. Now there are many ageing roadies out there, who would never have looked at an ebike. Although these guys (like myself are knocking on in years) on the flat they can still turn a pedal quickly (for a 25 mile TT. I can still go under the hour) However once the road raises, it's backwards going for me. Many of us, don't need a great deal of assist. The Gain hopefully is the ideal solution? It looks like the bike we've always ridden, while providing a measured helping hand.

Zeek48, that would stop me from buying one too. 25kph may be alright for an e-mountain bike or commuter, but it's too low for a light (for an ebike) road bike.

Zeek48, that would stop me from buying one too. 25kph may be alright for an e-mountain bike or commuter, but it's too low for a light (for an ebike) road bike.
We're fortunate in the US to have more reasonable ebike laws (but I'd rather have no speed governor). 25 kph isn't that bad because it's on climbs that you really need the assist and it's not a problem there. I don't go over 25 kph (15.5 mph) on the flats that often either. Downhill you don't need the assist.

We're fortunate in the US to have more reasonable ebike laws (but I'd rather have no speed governor). 25 kph isn't that bad because it's on climbs that you really need the assist and it's not a problem there. I don't go over 25 kph (15.5 mph) on the flats that often either. Downhill you don't need the assist.

That just about sums up my situation. No problems on the flat, I just want to be capable of climbing hills etc at the speeds I used to be too. Instead of down at walking pace, which BTW then saps a great deal of my energy and weakens the legs. Resulting in having to ride shorter 40 mile flattish routes, instead of all day rides.

That just about sums up my situation. No problems on the flat, I just want to be capable of climbing hills etc at the speeds I used to be too. Instead of down at walking pace, which BTW then saps a great deal of my energy and weakens the legs. Resulting in having to ride shorter 40 mile flattish routes, instead of all day rides.
Keep in mind that the battery capacity on this bike is 250Wh. I think that's the biggest weakness and all day rides under power assist aren't possible, which is why I'm looking forward to the bottle battery. I've been doing 35 mile rides, averaging 15-16 mph for the ride and have anywhere from 20-40% battery capacity left on moderately hilly terrain using the eco mode and mid power mode sparingly. The more I use the mid power mode, the more battery I use up (makes sense).

Thanks Mike, will take note. An all day ride day say 100 miles, usually 50% wind behind. On this leg of ride, even on the smaller hills I wouldn't require assist. With a little care, I'm hoping to have enough juice to see me through those last 15 miles? BTW, I always head out into the wind.

Keep in mind that the battery capacity on this bike is 250Wh. I think that's the biggest weakness and all day rides under power assist aren't possible, which is why I'm looking forward to the bottle battery. I've been doing 35 mile rides, averaging 15-16 mph for the ride and have anywhere from 20-40% battery capacity left on moderately hilly terrain using the eco mode and mid power mode sparingly. The more I use the mid power mode, the more battery I use up (makes sense).[/QUOTE

I too am looking forward to the bottle batteries as a number of my rides are in the 100-120 km range. Keep being told they are available in mid February. (which is now).

I too am looking forward to the bottle batteries as a number of my rides are in the 100-120 km range. Keep being told they are available in mid February. (which is now).

Any potential price quoted?

Okay so in preparation for the D30 I went the whole hog and bought the Garmin 1030, smart front light and the radar back light, as well as all the other gear. Its a shame that the Orbea doesn't have native Garmin integration....

Okay so in preparation for the D30 I went the whole hog and bought the Garmin 1030, smart front light and the radar back light, as well as all the other gear. Its a shame that the Orbea doesn't have native Garmin integration....

It will happen or they will produce there own proprietary system. Hope they have had foresight to make all bikes and propulsion upgradeable?

Back