Offset seat post

Number126

Region
USA
Does anyone know of an offset seat post to move the seat back to a little more comfortable position. If yes does it work?

If you search for "setback seatpost" you will find them. Make sure you measure the seatpost diameter before you order one. The most common size is 27.2mm, but there are other sizes. Is the frame too small for you? You can also increase the reach by installing a longer handlebar stem to move the bars further away from you.

I use one like this on my Gazelle Arroyo. To fit me correctly, my Gazelle should have the next size larger frame than the one I have, but I bought it as a previous year's model at a close out price, so I had no choice on the frame size. The seat was always a little too far forward to suit me, but everything else with the frame fits me just fine. So I put this setback seat post on and mounted the saddle rails as far back as I could. That moved the seat back at least 3 inches, so now it's perfect for me. The only downside is that I had to eliminate the suspension post that came with the Gazelle, so I replaced the saddle with a Cloud 9 that has springs.

I was a little worried that this configuration might put too much stress on the tube that holds the seat post (I am pretty heavy at 225 #). But I have been using this configuration for a couple of years now and no problems so far.

I built one.
Two pieces of 3/4" steel angle 2 1/2" long, 5/16" holes forwards back, 1/2" holes top bottom to fit shoulder bolt. Seat clamps to shoulder bolt 9/16" head(allen). 5/16" steel rods go in the forwards/back positions to slide seat up & back. 5/16" two screw set collars clamp angle irons to rods - 8 each.
I tried 5/16" all-thread originally, with 8 nuts, but it broke. Needed repair out on the road. 5/16" steel rods are 110000 psi grade from mcmaster.com.
No pictures; I don't love Pres. Xi enough to pay him for serfs to make me a camera.

Back