Ocean Current brake cutoff delay? Excessive Delay?

ADKer

Hi ; purchased a OC during the BF sale. Enjoying it almost as much here in Fl as my CCS in Upstate NY. But after applying brakes, the motor sometimes cuts out 3-4 seconds; other times less. Is this normal? Or excessive delay before the motor kicks back in?

Last edited:
Micro switch in the brake handle body cuts off power to the motor while breaking. Allows for faster stops plus less wear n tear on the motor.

Yes, but how long is an "acceptable" delay before the motor starts functioning again? On my CCS, it's like a one-second delay after I let go of the brakes, and I get almost immediate motor assistance again. But with the Ocean Current bike, a 3-4 second delay after starting to pedal again, seems too long. Is this a controller issue? Or a cable adjustment of some type at the brake- cutoff device? Thanks

Yes, but how long is an "acceptable" delay before the motor starts functioning again? On my CCS, it's like a one-second delay after I let go of the brakes, and I get almost immediate motor assistance again. But with the Ocean Current bike, a 3-4 second delay after starting to pedal again, seems too long. Is this a controller issue? Or a cable adjustment of some type at the brake- cutoff device? Thanks
3 to 4 seconds is really bad for a system with a torque sensor. Your description wouldn't be too bad for a cadence sensing system.

I'd suspect the TMM4 torque sensor needs calibration or adjustment. There are both physical and programming possibilities that most end users cannot do.

The physical adjustments at the sensor technically require a torque wrench/driver that measures to 1/10 of 1 newton meter. I've seen some people attempt it without the proper tools.

Advice from one tech:

The first step would be the clean the torque sensor from any dust or dirt.
The best option is to have them clean it and reset the torque on the screws.
I’ve attached the instructions if you would to try this on your own.

1) Make sure the axle nuts/QR levers are tight.

2) Try this:

- Remove the TMM cover plate. This is the 2 x M3 screws.

upload_2017-7-31_13-56-9-png.17712

- This will expose the TMM. Using a small flat head screw driver, work around the top and side perimeter of the TMM and make it loose.

- You may use light compressed air and a dry lube to clean the torque sensor.

- Re-install the cover plate and torque to 1nm. (snug and then another 1/8 of a turn)

That seems a little imprecise without the proper tools to me and I would only consider it as a last resort. I do think making sure the sensor is very clean is important and also make sure the wheel is properly in the frame dropouts. There have been reports here and elsewhere of erratic behavior when the wheel is not set properly in the dropouts.

More information:

http://idbike.com/sensors

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks for the info; I will check wheel fit. Beyond that, I guess I will have to live with it, as I don't have the confidence and/or tools to do it myself. I don't really trust any LBS to repair an e-bike that has not been purchased thru them.

Thanks for the info; I will check wheel fit. Beyond that, I guess I will have to live with it, as I don't have the confidence and/or tools to do it myself. I don't really trust any LBS to repair an e-bike that has not been purchased thru them.
BH Easy Motion, Pedego, iZip, Stromer and others have or do use TMM4 sensors. One of those dealers may be able to help. Velofix also might be a source for help, as they do service ebikes. I'm not sure how deep their service goes though.

If you look on the forward edge of the torque plate most companies have a small access hole which allows adjustment without dissasembly. Using a 2mm hex (allen) the set screw for the TMM sensor can be mechanically adjusted for sensitivity. Make sure to use a regular wrench not a ball end. The adjustment is very sensitive (less than 1/16th turn usually) and is usually done using diagnostic software and proper interface to adjust the resistance within the acceptable range. You can also use a digital multimeter reading the resistance if you know the accepted ranges. TMM sensors are essentially a load cell measuring distortion in the torque plate and sending the signal to the motor controller. Make sure the plate is clean and the slot is clear, wheel mounted and torqued correctly and sensor is mounted correctly. Experienced technicians such as myself can adjust the sensor by feel and have been nuts on when checked on the software.

PS we service ebikes even if you did not purchase from us. We also consult/train other dealer techs who may not have experience with particular procedures, systems or models.

Hi ; purchased a OC during the BF sale. Enjoying it almost as much here in Fl as my CCS in Upstate NY. But after applying brakes, the motor sometimes cuts out 3-4 seconds; other times less. Is this normal? Or excessive delay before the motor kicks back in?

@ADKer: Very likely your problem is related to the sensor, as @lilrich explained above.

I had a similar problem when my bike was new, when applying the rear wheel brake only. After exercising the brake many times, the problem went away. Never had a problem with the front wheel brake. Could it be that your problem is with "sluggish" cut-off switches? In my case, it was easy to figure it out, because it only happened with the rear brake.

Last edited:
Back