NYS eBike Law movement

Saratoga Dave

Well, here we are on Christmas Eve and amazingly, I just got a notification that the eBike law has been sent to the Governor's desk, after languishing for months. Don't know if this is something they automatically do at the end of the year with the pending stuff or it has earned it's way into the playoffs, but I'll watch it like a hawk.

Gov. Cuomo stated on WMAC Northeast Public Radio last June that he thought the general concept of the law was a good idea. Whether he signs it or not will depend on how much back room politics has occurred since then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Although the bill is a step in the right direction, there are still many confusing provisions. For one, it leaves ebike legality up to individual municipalities. For long trail riders like myself, I never know for sure whether I'm legal as I pass from one town to the next.

Take the Erie Canalway for example, one of my favorite trails in NY. It passes through hundreds of different jurisdictions between Albany and Buffalo. Even with the new law in place, it will be nearly impossible to know if I'm 100% legal in every town when riding the entire length of the trail.

To further confuse things, the bill itself bans ebikes from the Niagara River Greenway, part of the western section of the Erie Canalway, but allows for override by a local jurisdiction?

I'm still very much if favor of the bill but I wish it were more specific in certain areas.

Two years ago I was almost always the only ebike I ever saw out along the Erie Canalway (we’re at the eastern end, right where the Mohawk and Hudson meet, but I’ve ridden the whole thing and intend to do so again this spring).

As this past summer and fall went along, I’ve become aware that ebikes are all over the place now. I never do a twenty mile ride on any of the bikeways where I don’t encounter at least a couple. I’m not in love with the law as written either - far from it - but once it’s in place I doubt there will be too much fooling around with it by municipalities. I can be wrong, of course.

The good news is I have about 10,000 miles in New York State over the past three years and have never once been challenged, stopped, or otherwise interfered with over the ebike. If anything, it’s the opposite... everyone wants to ask questions, including two Saratoga County deputy sheriffs I rode with a while on the Zim Smith trail one summer afternoon as they were patrolling it on Trek mountain bikes. Next year I expect they’ll be on Powerflys! The city of Albany PD already has a few that are proving very useful, given that downtown is on a pretty good sized hill.

The part about the Greenway is downright weird. A NY politician has a brain like no other creature known to man.

Two years ago I was almost always the only ebike I ever saw out along the Erie Canalway (we’re at the eastern end, right where the Mohawk and Hudson meet, but I’ve ridden the whole thing and intend to do so again this spring).

As this past summer and fall went along, I’ve become aware that ebikes are all over the place now. I never do a twenty mile ride on any of the bikeways where I don’t encounter at least a couple. I’m not in love with the law as written either - far from it - but once it’s in place I doubt there will be too much fooling around with it by municipalities. I can be wrong, of course.

The good news is I have about 10,000 miles in New York State over the past three years and have never once been challenged stopped, or otherwise interfered with over the ebike. If anything, it’s the opposite... everyone wants to ask questions, including two Saratoga County deputy sheriffs I rode with a while on the Zim Smith trail one summer afternoon as they were patrolling it on Trek mountain bikes. Next year I expect they’ll be on Powerflys! The city of Albany PD already has a few that are proving very useful, given that downtown is on a pretty good sized hill.

The part about the Greenway is downright weird. A NY politician has a brain like no other creature known to man.

Not quite as many miles as you on an ebike anyway, but I ride in many states all over the mid Atlantic and northeast. I've seen the same increase in ebike presence that you noted. Unfortunately, I'm also seeing more idiots riding fast & weaving around pedestrians and other bikes. So far I also have never been challenged anywhere I ride but I wonder how long this will continue given the increase in reckless behavior.

For now, I'll continue to fly under the radar by riding a stealthy bike and being courteous to pedestrians & other riders. Sadly, I doubt my behavior will do much to stem the tide of growing anti ebike sentiment I see in some areas.

For whatever reason, I haven’t seen that even once around here, the NY Capital area and the High Peaks Adirondacks. There‘s a pretty strong bike culture especially up north there, but who knows.

The only actual aggressive bike behavior I see - which you can see for yourself any summer Saturday morning out around Saratoga Lake - is the road bike group that rides three or more abreast, won’t move over for anyone, and acts like the road exists for them alone. Even so, it’s a short enough interruption and some of those guys have some fantastic bikes!

However, if you ask any of the people in the ten cars backed up following them up the Lake Lonely hill, I am going to get a hell of a lot more popularity points than these freaking guys.

I wouldn't say the anti ebike sentiment I've seen is widespread. It's mostly in isolated areas like the fight that's going on in York County PA. You've probably seen the tread here on EBR. In most cases it seems to be fueled by a few misinformed individuals.

I've ridden that nice wide paved trail at Saratoga Lake and know what you mean about the bike club spandex set. That sort of behavior has been going on for decades. They are pretty much immune from general regulation due to the sheer number of conventional bicycles out there. Unfortunately, it will be many years before ebikes get that type of protection.

BTW: Merry Christmas from us here in Northeast PA.!

Well, here we are on Christmas Eve and amazingly, I just got a notification that the eBike law has been sent to the Governor's desk, after languishing for months. Don't know if this is something they automatically do at the end of the year with the pending stuff or it has earned it's way into the playoffs, but I'll watch it like a hawk.
Sorry Dave.

No surprise here. This so-called governor is the most petty, small minded and vengeful person imaginable. We’re used to it. Compared to what else is going on in this state right now, this is nothing anyhow.

Still, a shame and a genuine problem for the workers in NYC that it would actually have helped. Doesn’t really matter anywhere else.

No surprise here. This so-called governor is the most petty, small minded and vengeful person imaginable. We’re used to it. Compared to what else is going on in this state right now, this is nothing anyhow.

Still, a shame and a genuine problem for the workers in NYC that it would actually have helped. Doesn’t really matter anywhere else.
Agree. I was appalled to read that UPS etc are exempted by “city fiat.” Talk about two-tier justice.

So the bill sponsor NY state senator Ramos is promising to reintroduce the bill and get it passed in 2020. New York folks, if this happens does it mean a veto-proof law that cannot be over-ridden by the Governor?

Could someone summarize what the bill was addressing? I first learned about Cuomo vetoing it while reading a news flash about it by Google on my phone this afternoon. And I clicked on a couple related links in the article. Pedelecs are already legal in NYS? Are there ebike classes in NYS? Like Class 1, 2, and 3? So Class 1 and 3 are legal but Class 2 is not? Class 2 has throttle but the motor only has output to 20mph? This bill was specifically about throttle ebikes? And it was really only relevant to NYC and bike messagers/ delivery guys and he vetoed it for safety concerns? Does NYS have a helmet law for motorcyclists? Why didn't the bill include requirement for helmets if that's what the gov wanted. About 99% of the cyclist around here wear helmets so what's the harm of mandating them, particularly if motorcyclists have to wear them?

Hey Doug

Here is my very simplistic, admittedly biased yet mostly informed view, since I started this thread.

This whole thing has to do with the two New Yorks - the City, and everywhere else - and some political feud that the governor has apparently involved himself in with one of the sponsors of the bill, Assemblyperson (I think, not a senator) Ramos. There are a few stories sprinkled through the Albany Times Union newspaper over the past several months about that, but none that I can now find through their excellent (!) search function.

In the city, and apparently especially Manhattan, there is and has been a range war going over the use of ebikes by food delivery people. Much the same thing happened about 20 years or so ago when bicycle messenger services arose and people howled about the cowboy behavior of the messengers - running lights, racing on sidewalks, the same stuff they are dealing with now. The aggravating factor now is the ebike aspect, and particularly the use of throttled bikes.

Combine that with a basic misunderstanding of the whole ebike world by the press, and subsequent misreporting - all ebikes have throttles, they can go over thirty miles an hour, etc, etc, the whole issues has become clouded.

Upstate, far from the maddening crowd, there doesn’t seem to be any ebike angst at all. They’re ridden for different reasons by different people, perhaps. Most ebikes that I encounter in the Capital region and Adirondacks are ridden by older people - that’s right, us Boomers - seeking to recapture our extend our youth a little more, for fitness or pleasure. So maybe we behave better.

I would say that most ebikes in these parts anyhow - mid drives - have no throttles and therefore fall into a grey area of the law between the general law and the Vehicle and Traffic law that while they are not expressly forbidden, they are not expressly authorized either. So the actual impact on myself and people I see regularly out here is basically nil.

However, there are plenty of throttle bikes around. Pedego and Rad pretty much assure that, and they are a little more perilously perched, legally. But I swear, especially as a retired cop of 23 years, that no one gives a damn as long as people just behave themselves.

The helmet thing is a fair point. I wouldn’t ride across the street without one, and I have no idea why the big problem including that, if it was actually a point that would have made a difference. But this was a rigged deck in the first place. While the bill was passed by veto proof margins in both sides of the government, it was sat on and not delivered to the Governor until just after the legislative session had ended and everyone had gone home - the day before Christmas. By vetoing it immediately at that point, Cuomo assured its failure, since both houses would have to return to revote to override the veto - and that ain’t gonna happen. That little bit of treachery overrides any reasonable appearing arguments and rationalizations all by itself.

A final note quoted from a Times Union story this morning:

”The Albany Bicycle Coalition, a nonprofit that promotes cycling in the Capital Region, released a statement slamming the veto, which it called "one of the most backward things that could be done in terms of wise use of energy, promoting physical activity, and reducing motor vehicle congestion."
"E-bikes promised a whole new wave of people leaving their cars for active transportation," the coalition said. "The veto flies in the face of common sense and certainly in the face of those who are ready and able to make a contribution to energy conservation. It further shows the governor to be completing lacking in sincerity in reducing fossil fuel waste. Once again, Gov. Cuomo leads in putting New York State at the rear of the pack.”

Sorry to be so long winded!

Vetoing this is a sad statement on politics today. The helmet issue is a red herring, meant to distract people from the Gov's petty actions. This was a bill to legalize ebikes in NYS, not a safety bill. If NYS wants a helmet law for cyclists, that should be a stand alone bill. One has nothing to do with the other. I think Cuomo would have vetoed this bill for missing punctuation and spelling errors. He needed an excuse and he created one.

So sorry for NYS ebikers and ebike sellers.

Earlier this month, I recall a forum member posted that he saw NYC Police stopping/ticketing all ebikes with/without throttles at a traffic stop. Hopefully. I'm wrong about that.

Yeah the double standard is pretty blatant, the gov ought not use NYPD to target the delivery riders because its easily demonstrated they use them too, look at these poor guys using plastic bags as barmits against the cold, no way they can afford the fines, it’s the gang masters that trafficked them in the country and the businesses that exploit them, that ought to be targeted.

Someone on reddit mentioned if the assembly chose to pick a fight with the gov they could vote 2/3 to override the veto, source

Last edited:
Except the session is over, they’re all home all over the state, and the vote would have to be before Tuesday afternoon.

Back