Nyon upgrade or Garmin for GPS?

Any update here? Nyon Navigation is the worst thing I've ever used. About to launch the biggest online campaign against this service ever, its that bad!!! Pictures, video, whatever it takes, Nyon Navigation will get people killed!!!

One of the main advantages offered by the Nyon is that no added sensors are needed as it already knows, cadence, wattage (yours and the bike's), elevation, position, speed and slope. The only add on sensor needed is a heart rate monitor. I think is it probably fair to say, at this point, that its primary weakness is mapping. Hopefully Bosch is aware of this and a future update will improve matters in this regard.

Its integration with the bike's systems, size, power supply, level of customization, automatic start and stop route recording, assembly of those segments into a complete ride with accurate time moving, automatic synch of all ride data using wifi upon arrival home and good user interface both on app and on pc browser still makes it one of the most useful cycle computers I know of.
Out of interest, what heart rate monitor works with the Nyon? I’m getting a Nevo3 GT Vario (GX) early in August which will have the Nyon fitted.

I have been using the tickr but it has a glitch on this one hill I go up 5 days a week it does not change ti0ll I am well past it its strange

Out of interest, what heart rate monitor works with the Nyon? I’m getting a Nevo3 GT Vario (GX) early in August which will have the Nyon fitted.
I use the Scosche Rhythm 2.0 armband, seams to work good. Have only had it a week, paired easil.

I create the routes for my Nyon using google maps (be sure to check the bike icon) and then convert the route to a gpx file using this quick and easy web site

I save the file to my desktop, go to my dashboard on the Bosch ebike-connect.com site and import the gpx file from my desktop. The next time I turn on the nyon within range of my home wifi, the route is synched to my Nyon and available whenever needed.

I have not played around with Komoot on my phone as a means to create better routes for the Nyon as I prefer working on a computer over a phone. Perhaps someone who has worked with Komoot can chime in here.
I got the free Komoot account (I paid the one time fee for the maps) and also got the free version of Ride with GPS. The nice thing about Komoot is you link it to your Bosch Account and your routes get put into your Nyon automatically.

I do like making routes on the computer much better with Ride with GPS than Komoot. I make the route I want on my computer in Ride with GPS and export it as a TCX file. Then I go to the Komoot site and import this same file. The program asks if I want to update to known routes or leave as is. I leave as is. This makes the same route in Komoot and automatically links to your Bosch account.

How is komoot to making route on the road and such compared to ride with gps? I have it down with ride by gps and and its easy to export and import.

Has anyone tried Garmin Edge Explore with an e-bike? I've read the Explore is as good as the 1030+ and it is only missing anything related to cyclist performance and workout options. Far cheaper.

How is komoot to making route on the road and such compared to ride with gps? I have it down with ride by gps and and its easy to export and import.
I like ride with gps better than Komoot. I have been making my routes in ride with gps, exporting them as a TCX file and importing then into Komoot and not letting Komoot change anything. My Komoot account is linked to my Bosch account so at this point your route winds up there.

I have normally have the route in my head that I want to take and just want to enter it to the Nyon.

Komoot is similar except when you click in your route it seams to want to alter it to something it thinks is better. It seams as if you are fighting it to get it to the route you want. I haven’t really used either one in a area I know nothing about. I don’t know which would give a better route not knowing anything about the area.

Has anyone tried Garmin Edge Explore with an e-bike? I've read the Explore is as good as the 1030+ and it is only missing anything related to cyclist performance and workout options. Far cheaper.
I have both. battery life is far better on the 1030 screen is better too. navigation tends to be better and the sound is a lot louder. you have the altimeter so thats accurate and you have the grade info. more info on the screen.the explore has its glitches. I have it setup for my blind wife on the tandem and the stupid thing is set for screensaver mode with no notifications so the screen will stay off. but it keeps popping up tell you to turn off all notifcations to save battery life and so it keep the screen on the whole ride. 1030 has better offroad and temp too. but they both work and you want a touch screen makes life far easier.

I like ride with gps better than Komoot. I have been making my routes in ride with gps, exporting them as a TCX file and importing then into Komoot and not letting Komoot change anything. My Komoot account is linked to my Bosch account so at this point your route winds up there.

I have normally have the route in my head that I want to take and just want to enter it to the Nyon.

Komoot is similar except when you click in your route it seams to want to alter it to something it thinks is better. It seams as if you are fighting it to get it to the route you want. I haven’t really used either one in a area I know nothing about. I don’t know which would give a better route not knowing anything about the area.
I have found ebike connect will cahnge it too when it is imported from RWG

I have both. battery life is far better on the 1030 screen is better too. navigation tends to be better and the sound is a lot louder. you have the altimeter so thats accurate and you have the grade info. more info on the screen.the explore has its glitches. I have it setup for my blind wife on the tandem and the stupid thing is set for screensaver mode with no notifications so the screen will stay off. but it keeps popping up tell you to turn off all notifcations to save battery life and so it keep the screen on the whole ride. 1030 has better offroad and temp too. but they both work and you want a touch screen makes life far easier.
Thank you Steve. So the Explore works with your Gepida? The reason I've asked is my brother wants the Explore for his Trance E+, and the 1030+ is insanely expensive.

That’s why I go through Komoot, Komoot gives you the option to not have it changed when you import.
but do you know if ebike connect changes it when it imports it from komoot? ? thats been the problem with grabbing a gtx file it wants to change things when it imports.

Thank you Steve. So the Explore works with your Gepida? The reason I've asked is my brother wants the Explore for his Trance E+, and the 1030+ is insanely expensive.
ya I have most models. it is expesnive about 500 on sale twice the cost. I have not used the explore for navigation for awhile my 1030 had some weird issues for awhile then I used it for backup. but now its been fine I usually use the nyon but it can have issues too.

but do you know if ebike connect changes it when it imports it from komoot? ? thats been the problem with grabbing a gtx file it wants to change things when it imports.
I haven’t seen it get changed as of yet, it seams like once it’s in Komoot it’s good. When you import into Komoo, Komoot suggests you update it to known routes, but gives you the option not to. I haven’t done it a lot but so far I have had good luck.

One of the main advantages offered by the Nyon is that no added sensors are needed as it already knows, cadence, wattage (yours and the bike's), elevation, position, speed and slope. The only add on sensor needed is a heart rate monitor. I think is it probably fair to say, at this point, that its primary weakness is mapping. Hopefully Bosch is aware of this and a future update will improve matters in this regard.

Its integration with the bike's systems, size, power supply, level of customization, automatic start and stop route recording, assembly of those segments into a complete ride with accurate time moving, automatic synch of all ride data using wifi upon arrival home and good user interface both on app and on pc browser still makes it one of the most useful cycle computers I know of.

At this point, would you still rate the Nyon the same? Any improvements in mapping?

Back