Nyon Upgrade in USA worked out of the box!

Jeff Backes

I purchased a Trek XM700+ a few weeks ago. I wanted to get the Nyon system that is available in Europe installed on my bike and was told "It won't work!"

I purchased it anyway and just installed it... Works great.

The only hitch is that I had to create a British iTunes account so I could download the app to my iPhone. Other than that it's:

1. Remove the screw holding the remote to the handlebar
  2. Remove the four screws holding the Intuvia bracket to the handlebar
  3. Remove the four SUPER SMALL screws holding the wiring harness on the Intuvia bracket
  4. Remove the four SUPER SMALL screws holding the wiring harness on the Nyon bracket
  5. Move the motor's wiring harness to the Nyon
  6. Tighten the four SUPER SMALL screws holding the bike's wiring harness to the Nyon
  7. Tighten the screws on the Nyon bracket
  8. Tighten the screw on the remote
The upgrade kit is available from H&S Bike-Discount GmbH. I paid around 390 euros.

If anyone has a question shoot me a message.

jeff

IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG

Another hitch... I am not allowed to use a US credit card in the British store so I cannot purchase the "Custom Riding Modes" or "Topo Range" in app purchases. The "eBike Connect" app for the iPhone is free so downloading it from the British store was simply a matter of creating a new AppleID "in" Britain.

I am able to pair with my iPhone, connect to my home Wi-Fi. I created an account at Bosch's internet portal and transferring routes works find.

First bike ride is scheduled for tomorrow :)

jeff

Did my first ride with the Nyon on Thursday. I got lost and the GPS did what it was supposed to :). They have a very nice "Get me home" menu selection worked like a charm.

I was able to purchase an iTunes gift card for the UK from e-bay than sign in with my "English" me. I then purchased the two in-app purchases. "Topo operating range" and "Custom Power Settings."

The “Topo operating range” feature then calculates and displays the battery’s remaining range, taking into consideration the topographical conditions.
The "Custom Power Settings" change the power curves of the Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo modes.

Still very happy with my purchase.

jeff

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing your updates.
Navigation might be one of the best features there. Did you have to download the US map?

The Nyon I got has 8gb of flash. The US is broken into states, I downloaded all of them. Still have 5gb left, I don't know what else I can use the extra flash for.

jeff

Hi Jeff, sorry to reawaken a dormant thread, but I'm curious how you plan to update your Nyon firmware as time goes on? Is this something that local dealers with access to Bosch tools/software can do for you, despite the Nyon not being available in the USA?

-Nick

As I understand it firmware updates will be delivered using the ebike-connect web site. When an update happens, I'll know for sure.

jeff

Thanks for posting this Jeff. We have a customer from Italy that brings his Superrace back and forth over the pond. He says after downloading the NY map it works fine.

I'd love to hear some more of your experience with this in the future if anything out of the ordinary comes up. Thanks again.

I'm trying to get the eBike android app on my phone but all ways I've tried fail due to being in the US. I also tried creating a UK/Germany based gmail id, and that failed too. Any help appreciated.

Bob,

What I had to do was pretty silly. I created a user that lived in London using my company's London office mailing address.

I then had to get a gift card from a UK ebay seller and apply that to my newly created account.

A pretty big pain in the tokis but it worked.

jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,

When you went to purchase the "Custom Riding Modes" and "Topo Range" premium features, what was the cost and how was the feature delivered? On your ebike connect account or activation code?

I'm looking for possible ways to work out the android parallel to what you did.

BTW, I was able to get the android app installed on my phone.

I have an iPhone and used an "in-app purchase". Via a UK gift card I purchased on e-bay - I redeemed the UK gift card toward my UK iTunes account.

Greetings from Downunder

I just upgraded my display to a Nyon (not available in Australia) following Jeff's instructions without a hitch. All functions working perfectly, including free worldwide maps, I was in the UK last week so was able to setup a UK iTunes account and purchase the add ons for the eBike Connect app.

Now to put my intuvia on ebay....

Rob

Greetings from Downunder

I just upgraded my display to a Nyon (not available in Australia) following Jeff's instructions without a hitch. All functions working perfectly, including free worldwide maps, I was in the UK last week so was able to setup a UK iTunes account and purchase the add ons for the eBike Connect app.

Now to put my intuvia on ebay....

Rob

Hi Rob,

How does the navi function compare to simply using Here or Google Maps on a mobile phone? I'm trying to find justification for a Nyon down under :)

Peter

Hi Peter

I'll try to take some screen shots and do a full review, but initial impressions are good. The display is much easier to read than google maps on the iphone or my Garmin Edge 800. You don't have to be in the mapping screen for turn by turn directions to display, they will pop up if you're in another screen. The display is clear, easy to read and I don't need to have my iPhone on the handlebars, so I have one display controlling everything. Everything is integrated and controllable from the remote control. I have also installed and connected a Supernova M99 Pure front light and a Busch + Müller Toplight View E rear light which are controlled through the Nyon. The other part of the navi function is being able to plan and upload routes through the ebike-connect portal.

Give me a couple of days and I'll post something more comprehensive with pics. I only installed it a copuple of days ago, so I'm still learning how to use all the functions myself!

Rob

Here is an example from the manual.

Navi 1.png

n1 Clock
n2 Map
n3 Zoom level
n4 Compass needle
n5 Turn instructions and distance to the next turn
n6 Distance to destination
n7 Estimated time of arrival at destination

Entering a destination on the device isn't very easy, I think they expect you to use either the phone app or on a computer.

jeff

Last edited:
Here are some screen shots of the ebike-connect website for the Nyon. It gives great stats for planned routes.

Navi 2.png

Navi 3.png

And here is a screen of what a traveled route looks like.

Navi 4.png

Having the stats makes it just a little more fun for me.

jeff

Thanks Jeff, saved me the trouble.

Have you worked out how to rename activities in the ebike-connect? I can rename routes but can't see how to rename activities:

upload_2017-2-6_17-40-45.png

Back