Nyon MY21 mapping use problems (+ post April 2022 software updates)

I have gotten warnings about some of my router may not allow my bike. but thats on a uploaded route. so ya it may be an issue with speed bikes.

It would be interesting to hear from other riders who are experiencing problems with the mapping function of EBC and Nyon 21 to see if having normal versus speed ebikes has an influence. Steve Borough, considering the problems you have routing in New York city, is your bike a speed ebike?
Yes! Performance Line Speed bike here

I'm super disappointed that pretty much every time I try to use my Nyon for navigation it tries to send me the wrong way down a one-way street. It's happened to me 3 times now in completely different places.

Unfortunately it seems that the Bosch staff are no longer active in this forum. It's a pity because they offered very useful advice and interesting insights.

Peter

I'm super disappointed that pretty much every time I try to use my Nyon for navigation it tries to send me the wrong way down a one-way street. It's happened to me 3 times now in completely different places.
make your maps in ride by gps pr such and upload them.

I wont even use garmin to make a route its just a hassle. I will use apple to get bak since I dont usually make a go back map.

I ride mostly for transportation, so having to go use a computer to make a route is impractical in a lot of cases, and a pain in the butt in 100% of cases.
So, I often know kind of where I'm going but want some guidance for unfamiliar parts. This particular route below, I really could have used a little help but it tried to route me down this one way street, even after I passed it and could have legally turned left onto the same street as my destination, it still wanted me to turn around and go the wrong way down the street. The rest of the route was a mess as well, for different reasons.

1654297686415.png

FYI I opened a case with Bosch but haven't gotten anything back but an autoreply...

@Stefan Mikes might be dying to say "I told you so" but I'll spare him from having to do that. I read through the threads about Nyon, etc and thought "ah, how bad could it be?" I love everything about my bike except the Nyon (especially since it cost me an extra $400). Well, I do like most of it, like the ride recording/uploading, and all the extra stats like power, torque, etc., but the mapping part is a huge disappointment and frankly dangerous. But that incredibly irritating 5 second delay before I can ack the nag screen every time I ride is supposed to make me feel safe I guess?

I ride mostly for transportation, so having to go use a computer to make a route is impractical in a lot of cases, and a pain in the butt in 100% of cases.
So, I often know kind of where I'm going but want some guidance for unfamiliar parts. This particular route below, I really could have used a little help but it tried to route me down this one way street, even after I passed it and could have legally turned left onto the same street as my destination, it still wanted me to turn around and go the wrong way down the street. The rest of the route was a mess as well, for different reasons.
Agreed, that Bosch nav leaves much to be desired, but to be fair:
  • Navigating in Pitt just sucks no matter what.
  • Google Maps does the same thing here and seems to ignore the one way streets when routing by bike.
Screenshot_20220603-204612.png

RWGPS did get it right, fyi. And Google wouldn't send me the wrong way up Cherry in a car, just on bike.

ok, i will grant you that is weird... when I did that in google, if you click "details" it tells you to walk your bike, which... why does it think that's a good answer? although google did get the actual route i took correct: https://goo.gl/maps/uWq6KCKUPXFszqCx8 whereas Nyon had me take a right on 4th Ave.

RWGPS did better modulo sending me 1.5 miles out of the way over the Birmingham Bridge. To be fair that is the first route google suggested as well, I'm not sure why - I'd rate the shorter one as "more bike friendly" as far as trails, etc. and obviously much more direct.

ok, I'm willing to excuse this one a bit, too many weird 1-way streets downtown making routing difficult. one time it tried to route me the wrong way down Friendship Ave where it split, which is awful. I mean, I was right here, and it was telling me to take the left "fork" https://goo.gl/maps/ksLGS9kwCL3ojG3f8

another time, in the same area, rather than this: https://goo.gl/maps/6gjySivDi6s9cy3L6 or https://goo.gl/maps/prEKUnxvcvGbx8HG7 it had me go the whole way down Harriet, which I was thinking "oh, this is pretty calm, why have I never done this before? and the answer is, at the end of harriet it wanted me to turn right the wrong way down Winebiddle.

those 3 represent probably half the times I've tried to use the GPS. the other times I recall the routes being weird but no wrong-way routes. but, I guess I could start just using it all the time and see if I'm just getting unlucky... but my Garmin 530 generally gave me reasonable routes.

Hello William and Stephen

It's great to see you back on the forum.

In Post #20 in this thread I suggested that a possible reason for the irratic routing sometimes reported in Nyon is associated with mis-applied country specific high speed (45km/hr) regulations.

If I remember correctly, two responses to the suggestion were also from owners of HS bikes.

Regards

Peter

On the weekend the Nyon navigation sent me the wrong way down a one-way city street. I had no idea until it was too late. Luckily I wasn't hit by oncoming cars, who probably regarded me as an obnoxious cyclist rather than someone who had been misled by their GPS navigation unit. Bosch really ought to make it an urgent priority to fix this. Meanwhile, from a safety perspective I will never trust the Nyon's routing again, unfortunately.

Yes, based on my experiences (multiple observations on these above) I will not use the inbuilt routing.

Following routes created by capable software (in my case OSMAnd) and imported into the Bosch system works fine, used in "follow gpx" mode.

Back