Nyon MY21 - Initial Thoughts

This is a matter of a very large and wealthy company apparently not giving a s*it about a small division. My guess is that their ebike division is of little importance comparatively speaking.

This is a matter of a very large and wealthy company apparently not giving a s*it about a small division. My guess is that their ebike division is of little importance comparatively speaking.
You think Nyon has limits? Try cobi.bike.

As a corollary to shutting off the Nyon, I lost live guidance from it. Is there a way to resume a tour from somewhere in the middle? Navigation is brittle and doesn’t seem to understand that i want to go back to the tour after having to deviate from it.

There’s two modes for starting a route. One which guides you to the start of the route first, and one that guides you to the closest point in the route and then continues the route. The second one is meant for the situation you describe. It does get confused when riding “out and back” type routes though (so I tend to split those up into two routes now).

Thanks Alaskan. This explains a lot.

I use two separate rail trails on my commute to work on my Trek 8S. EbikeConnect's mapping system would not let me pre-map the second trail which is in a town that does not allow Class 3 bikes on its trails. However, it's not physically posted or enforced. I doubt the town's law is the real reason I cannot get the routing software to recognize the trail, but the German-Centricity of the software could explain it.
This also possibly explains why I couldn’t reproduce this behavior, being on a class 1. E-bike connect does have a weird preference for roads, but the behavior for me in the Seattle area between it and Komoot is pretty similar where they both prefer “fast” over “avoid roads”, which is a bit annoying, but can be coaxed onto the bike paths. I didn’t even realize that the bike on the account might be used to affect route planning.

But with OSM in the mix, can’t discount weird data there either. Especially in the US I’ve noticed some rather annoying errors in the trail data outside major cities. I tend to fix them when I find them, but it’s not like everyone is savvy enough to be able to do so, and so there are some areas where paths are mis-tagged and then never truly fixed.

By reading this thread I get impression that even though Bosch seem to have put lot of effort on this top tier ebike computer Nyon MY21 it's maturity is not too impressive.

Any comments on Nyon and Bosch eBike Connect integration on different activity services like Garmin Connect and Strava?

yes the nyon's need work for sure. the Kiox is really stable. maps are going to take work and tine to get good garmin has had a lot of time to do it. I find its best Tom make my rides in ride with gps or such and upload them.
I think that had strava automatically upload but not now. you have to manually upload rides. this is what keeps me using my garmin too plus for radar and temps.

I think that had strava automatically upload but not now. you have to manually upload rides. this is what keeps me using my garmin too plus for radar and temps.
That's another 6 months to wait software and integration getting better. Apple Watch 6 and Garmin GPSMAP 66ST does the job so good that there's no room for Nyon. I don't even want to try routing with Nyon. If it's a little problematic with Garmin, it can't be better with Bosch. Maybe in the city.

That's another 6 months to wait software and integration getting better. Apple Watch 6 and Garmin GPSMAP 66ST does the job so good that there's no room for Nyon. I don't even want to try routing with Nyon. If it's a little problematic with Garmin, it can't be better with Bosch. Maybe in the city.
Apple Watch sucks at recording a ride. if you use strata or such on it its ok but if you use apples fitness app it sucks. it does not pause when you stop its pretty inaccurate for the post part. till the new watch came out it only checked your heart rate every minute. garmin is less then perfect too. it can have connection issues to my lights and such. my 1030+ used to send me in posit directions. you jsut got to get around the glitches of todays electronics. I love how I can upload a route from ride with gps into ebike connect and it just syncs with my Nyon. with gsrmin I have to plug it into my computer and do it manually. sometimes it would not show as a drive on my computer Mac or pc. sometimes I have to work to get myth gamins to sync with my phone. here I have gamin sync with heath on my phone. but the info does not even go towards exercise. the only thing that goes towards that is my heart rate increasing and my Apple Watch catching it. or if I record a ride with the fitness app. hell the apple watch cant even detect bike exercise. everything has it glitches. but if you want to adjust the assist levels want to know your wattage output and to get a accurate calorie burn count good info on your climb and grade and such then the Nyon does all of that.

I believe that the full conversion kit (from basic displays like the Purion) include the wiring harness. This does not, as the Nyon and the Kiox use the same harness back to the motor.
OFF Topic: I, and I am sure others, wish you would post more. 👍 :)

Apple Watch sucks at recording a ride. if you use strata or such on it its ok but if you use apples fitness app it sucks. it does not pause when you stop its pretty inaccurate for the post part. till the new watch came out it only checked your heart rate every minute. garmin is less then perfect too. it can have connection issues to my lights and such. my 1030+ used to send me in posit directions. you jsut got to get around the glitches of todays electronics. I love how I can upload a route from ride with gps into ebike connect and it just syncs with my Nyon. with gsrmin I have to plug it into my computer and do it manually. sometimes it would not show as a drive on my computer Mac or pc. sometimes I have to work to get myth gamins to sync with my phone. here I have gamin sync with heath on my phone. but the info does not even go towards exercise. the only thing that goes towards that is my heart rate increasing and my Apple Watch catching it. or if I record a ride with the fitness app. hell the apple watch cant even detect bike exercise. everything has it glitches. but if you want to adjust the assist levels want to know your wattage output and to get a accurate calorie burn count good info on your climb and grade and such then the Nyon does all of that.
Frankly, my series 6 watch and 12 pro iPhone work fine for me. They sync just fine and the outside bike ride app on the watch seems to do most of what I need it to do. It stops counting mileage of course, which is all I really care about. If I really wanted to be more accurate I could hit pause/resume to get more accurate time/heart rate while actually peddling. That said I probably don’t ask nearly as much from it as you do.

Here is a ride I just did I started the Apple Watch ride before I pushed off. there are some big differences here 4mph average lost with the Apple Watch because it wont pause not as accurate elevation info or milage. it also does not keep track of your workout like anaerobic and such or cooldown and such. plus the watches battery does not last long. its usually at Elst one mile off but since this was all city streets maybe it was more accurate. this was on the tandem so its not that much of a workout.
Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 8.03.29 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 8.04.07 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 8.04.31 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 8.11.13 PM.jpg

Have had my Nyon MY21 for a week or so and really like it. A few issues / questions:
  • Can't get my phone (iPhone 12 ProMax) to connect
    • Was able to get unit to connect via WiFi so I can see it in the app on my phone and website
    • I cannot see my phone battery % on the Nyon
  • Same problem as others have noted that if you stop on a ride for >10 minutes or turn it off it splits your ride into 2 ride instead of one
  • Working on changing screens to determine which tiles are best for my usage.
    • Limit to 24 tiles doesn't seem like it should be a big deal but there are some limitations
    • Need to use a tile that has the gearing to show which sprocket you are on to see if it works with my Domane+ (2019)
  • Need to get a HRM that connects to the Nyon.
    • I use the Strava on my Apple Watch for HRM and are using both now
    • Eventually, I may want to use just 1 as the primary but not sure
    • Looks like Polar H7 and H10 are the recommended ones and that is certainly a reliable brand
  • Unit is very slippery
    • I've dropped it a few times
    • Maybe some ridges or a roughened surface around the edges
    • I'm regularly taking it off my bike to make sure it connects to WiFi (not a great signal in the garage)
  • Since I have a road bike, the thumb controls are are just to the right of the unit right in the middle of my cockpit.
    • I am lefthanded and might like it out on the left before the drop bars curve around toward the hoods.
    • The problem is the cushioned tape might make it tough to fit the unit on

okIf your read my post about tricks and tips with the nyon it will help. but first you cant have wifi and bluetooth connected at the same time. did you go into bluetooth settings then hold down the light button for about 5 seconds so it goes into paring more? then open the app and choose add new. but you may have to go to bluetooth and connect there. but I had to reset it after I had both connected. only choose bluetooth it is far easier then wifi. I use the security screw so I not have to remove it. it really needs a pause/end button for your ride. I had why gammon before I got the nyon and I use that to record my rides. the calories burned are pretty close between them.

Last edited:
okIf your read my post about tricks and tips with the nyon it will help. but first you cant have wifi and bluetooth connected at the same time. did you go into bluetooth settings then hold down the light button for about 5 seconds so it goes into paring more? then open the app and choose add new. but you may have to go to bluetooth and connect there. but I had to reset it after I had both connected. only choose bluetooth it is far easier then wifi. I use the security screw so I not have to remove it. it really needs a pause/end button for your ride. I had why gammon before I got the nyon and I use that to record my rides. the calories burned are pretty close between them.
Thanks. I knew some of those tricks from reading threads prior to install but it is good to have them in 1 place. I will try when I get home and follow the steps precisely.

Another thing I remembered: I can see the In-App purchase for customized assistance levels, but there is no Lock function available for purchase. My Domane+ has the Performance Line (per the e-bike connect app) and the Nyon manual says BDU3XX are compatible with Performance Line. Not sure why I am not seeing the Lock as an option.

BTW - I am Looking forward to purchasing and doing some testing once I get comfortable with my basic "cockpit" setup. For me, I almost never use SPORT or TURBO so I am thinking of lowering ECO, TOUR and SPORT so that ECO is below current ECO, TOUR is above current ECO but below current TOUR and SPORT is where current TOUR is. I'll leave TURBO out there at a fairly high level to only be used in the most urgent of circumstances. Knowing I can jump out of custom and back to default modes easily gives plenty of opportunity to tinker without any concerns.

I used eco as it was always too weak and lowed tour. the other two I only use for climbing.I don't know for sure but I think the lock is only on the new motors? I don't see it either. the Nyon needs work for sure.

Have had my Nyon MY21 for a week or so and really like it. A few issues / questions:
The maturity of the product and the quality that one could expect from Bosch doesn't seem to be fulfilled yet. Luckily all the relevant issues are kind of like that should be able to fix with software updates I guess.

Very interesting to see where you end up in choosing between the Nyon and Apple Watch. Also the experiences on assistance modes is interesting.

BTW I've had zero problems/notable difference in Apple Watch 6 when it comes to HRM or GPS accuracy compared to Garmin GPSMAP 66. I've compared multiple times two different GPX-files from same trip in GPXsee program.

The new Nyon MY21 was installed on my computer this week. I'd like to give a shout-out to Ravi Kempaiah who made it his personal project to get that computer on my bike. Thank you, Ravi!

The Bosch Nyon is, by far, the best bike computer I have ever used. It's elegant, intuitive, and robust -- quite an upgrade from the simplistic Purion display that came with the bike. It's got a beautiful touch screen that changes color based on the assistance level as well as a touchpad operating unit. My touchpad is mounted by the left brake lever which enables me to easily switch screens and change the assistance level without taking my hands off the handlebars; a real safety improvement.

Screen editing is simple and intuitive. Surprisingly, I already hit the limit of 24 data tiles, forcing me to remove redundant data (e.g., "Trip Distance" in multiple screens.) It's helpful to have the additional information, including power output (me vs. engine), time in assistance zones, granular battery status, ascent, gradient, cadence, and of course, navigation. I paired the Nyon with a Polar Verity Sense armband heart rate monitor, which is comfortable and worked flawlessly. All in all, I'm delighted.

I purchased both the Custom Riding Modes and Lock Feature. I might not ever use the Lock feature; I have an irrational fear of losing the computer and finding myself SOL. Isn't it like that? The more you worry about making a mistake, the more likely you are to do it.

Now, the Custom Riding Modes is another story. I couldn't wait to start messing with that. My bike, with an 85 Nm Performance Speed motor, is probably overpowered for what I'm doing, even though I'm an almost 68-year-old woman riding in hilly Western North Carolina. I insisted on a 1X drive train but now find that I am too often in the slightly cross-chained and decidedly noisy highest gear. I typically spend 55% in Eco; 30% in Tour and 15% in Sport. I never use Turbo. I've been fiddling with bringing the support levels down in all of the modes. Interestingly, a relatively minor change resulted in significant battery savings. Just taking each of the bottom three levels down 10% (60->50, 140 ->130, and 240 ->230) reduced my battery consumption from 53% to 40% on the exact same ride (27 miles, 2500 feet of climbing), with nearly identical speed and assistance. Unfortunately, I was still too often in the highest gear. I will continue tinkering with the assistance modes and report back. BTW, I like that I can change from custom riding modes to the Bosch default modes on the fly. It gives me the confidence to experiment.

Now for the wishes, questions, and problems:

1. Navigation/Route Planning: Sometimes I can't turn a ride into a route. The Bosch ebike Connect site gives me the following message: "Could not map your route to existing roads. Your route will be visible on Nyon without turn by turn directions." This happens when I import the ride as GPX tracks from RideWithGPS and when I select Convert to Route in eBike Connect. None of the roads are new. This is a real problem for me, as I generally don't ride in the navigation screen and depend upon it telling me when to turn. Does anyone know of a work-around?

2. Is there any way to see what the default Power Assistance profiles look like? Are they flat power, or are they curved? And how does the top Nm for each mode fit in with customized modes? There doesn't seem to be an option to fiddle with that when customizing the assistance modes. My guess is that it's a top-end limit, which wouldn't impact an old fart like me, but still, idle mind want to know. Also, I'm assuming that the Range is less meaningful for customized zones?

3. There is data on the Nyon which is not accessible on the app or website, and is lost once the trip is reset (e.g., maximum slope, max/average power). I wish there were a way to select which data elements are accessible post-ride. I also wish that there were a field for battery watt consumption; my husband gets that on his Specialized Turbo Creo. It can be calculated reasonably accurately for a brand new, full battery, but otherwise is unattainable.
That's it for now. Should I post my navigation question to the Bosch Problems area?
does the Kiox do custom riding modes?

Found this while waiting for my Nyon upgrade kit, no need to changeover cables, just reseat contacts in Nyon bracket

Unboxing and conversion - Kiox to Nyon 2021 | Elektrofahrrad24 TUTORIAL

Still have had no luck getting Nyon MY21 to connect to iPhone 12 ProMax. I've tried all the sequences and resets. Just using WiFi for now until I can figure it out.

Another issue I've encountered is trying to use routes. I am often trying to jump onto a route from close but not at the A or B. It seems you have the options to route yourself to A and then start the full route ending at B. It also seems you can just route yourself from your current location to B, but it doesn't seem to jump on the route and follow it as if you had started at A. It seems to route you the shortest route to B which is not what I am looking for (and not what most would be looking for, I wouldn't think). Am I doing something wrong?

Still have had no luck getting Nyon MY21 to connect to iPhone 12 ProMax. I've tried all the sequences and resets. Just using WiFi for now until I can figure it out.

Another issue I've encountered is trying to use routes. I am often trying to jump onto a route from close but not at the A or B. It seems you have the options to route yourself to A and then start the full route ending at B. It also seems you can just route yourself from your current location to B, but it doesn't seem to jump on the route and follow it as if you had started at A. It seems to route you the shortest route to B which is not what I am looking for (and not what most would be looking for, I wouldn't think). Am I doing something wrong?
did you turn off wifi before trying it? I had them both connected and it caused all kinds of issues I reset then only connected through bluetooth. but my old nyon I had to do it the old fashioned way but opening up bluetooth and connecting manually. then check the app it took a few minutes then I got a popup asking if I wanted them connected said yes and then no problem. every day I have to open the ebike connect app and chose that anyone to get it to connect.

Back