Nyon Display

Sorry for jumping in late, but I saw this on the Bosch website. "Smartphones can be charged via the USB port of your on-board computer." It doesn't name any specific computers, so I assumed all of them (including Nyon) do. https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/service/faq/kann-ich-mein-smartphone-am-ebike-aufladen-8117
After purchasing several different usb type cables and finding none would charge my phone or power a light I contacted my LBS who confirmed with Bosch that the USB port on the Nyon does not provide any services to the end user. What a disappointment.

After purchasing several different usb type cables and finding none would charge my phone or power a light I contacted my LBS who confirmed with Bosch that the USB port on the Nyon does not provide any services to the end user. What a disappointment.
I believe you, but Bosch's documentation is all over the place. The 2020 Nyon manual on page 11 says "Max. USB charging current (output)" is 1500 mA. If it was input, it would just say how many milliAmps the unit consumes while charging. The fact that it specifies "Max." and "output" would suggest that the hardware could perhaps charge another device but evidently they've turned it off in software.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.07.10 PM.png

I believe you, but Bosch's documentation is all over the place. The 2020 Nyon manual on page 11 says "Max. USB charging current (output)" is 1500 mA. If it was input, it would just say how many milliAmps the unit consumes while charging. The fact that it specifies "Max." and "output" would suggest that the hardware could perhaps charge another device but evidently they've turned it off in software.

View attachment 85877
Good point & question!

Sorry for jumping in late, but I saw this on the Bosch website. "Smartphones can be charged via the USB port of your on-board computer." It doesn't name any specific computers, so I assumed all of them (including Nyon) do. https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/service/faq/kann-ich-mein-smartphone-am-ebike-aufladen-8117

Good morning, @sakumar ----thank you for bringing this to my attention. I can see where this message on our site could be clearer. I will push this on to the folks in the office so that may be edited.

Purion-- no third-party charging
Intuvia- 500mA third-party charging
Kiox- 1,000mA third-party charging
Nyon- no third-party charging
Smartphone Hub- 1,500mA third-party charging

Cheers 🤠

For about $100 dollars I have solved this problem (at least to my satisfaction) as well as two other ones.

First to the two additional issues I wanted to solve.

1. I prefer a blinking daytime headlight as it is far better at getting driver attention during daylight hours.
2. More powerful headlights like the Supernova m99 mini actually use a good amount of electricity from the main battery, in some cases as much as 10% of the wattage consumed during a ride. I prefer to keep all my bike's battery energy for help moving the bicycle.

My solution was to add a Knog PWR Trail 1000 lumen, usb rechargeable, combination headlight and charging pack. It comes complete with cables and can be custom programed with different flash modes and levels of brightness. The battery capacity is 5,000 mAh. Mounted below the handlebars it is quite discrete. Their big Mountain version has twice the battery capacity, twice the illumination and costs about half again as much. They also have a road version with less light and battery capacity for less money.

This solution allows me to recharge my phone, run a headlight with several eye catching daytime flash or blink modes, and preserve my bikes energy for moving the bike.

knog-pwr-trail-321351-11.jpg

2. More powerful headlights like the Supernova m99 mini actually use a good amount of electricity from the main battery, in some cases as much as 10% of the wattage consumed during a ride. I prefer to keep all my bike's battery energy for help moving the bicycle.
If you have a 250W nominal motor (25km/h) then the M99 Mini Pro-25 or M99 Mini Pure-25, both use 5.2W on low beam against 250W is 2.08%.
If you have a 350W nominal motor (HS) then the M99 Mini Pure-45 usage of 7.5W against 350W is 2.14%.
If you have a 350W nominal motor (HS) then the M99 Mini Pro-45 usage of 8.6W on low beam against 350W is 2.46%.

Then there's the reserve kept by the Bosch system also.

If you're let's say an Uber Eats driver or similar fleet rider, you want to keep your phone topped up at all times, easily.

If you have a 250W nominal motor (25km/h) then the M99 Mini Pro-25 or M99 Mini Pure-25, both use 5.2W on low beam against 250W is 2.08%.
If you have a 350W nominal motor (HS) then the M99 Mini Pure-45 usage of 7.5W against 350W is 2.14%.
If you have a 350W nominal motor (HS) then the M99 Mini Pro-45 usage of 8.6W on low beam against 350W is 2.46%.

Then there's the reserve kept by the Bosch system also.

If you're let's say an Uber Eats driver or similar fleet rider, you want to keep your phone topped up at all times, easily.
Very few integrated lights incorporate a blinking daylight mode which is demonstrably a better attention getting in daylight.

The Supernova M99 Pro 45 on my Delite Mountain uses 17 watts in low beam and 26 watts in high beam. It is a brilliant light at 1100 lumens low and 1600 high but really eats the power. The compact head-light that came on my Trek Allant 9.9 with low and high beam gets hot, not warm, hot to the touch. While it is supposed to go into a power-conserving, blink mode during daylight, the sensor is in the tail light on the rear fender and only works when there is direct sunlight coming from straight behind the bike. Any other angle or any clouds and it just burns up electrons at a fierce pace, no blinking.

Both bikes have dual batteries so those lights are still the go to ones at night but I do not ride in the dark very often. They never are turned on during the day but the Knog goes on in blink mode for every ride and only needs charging every few weeks and it is right there to charge my phone when and if needed for that.

For a tail light, I really like the added functionality and security offered by the Cliq headlight with its excellent app that includes a text alert that you can easily activate that uses and accelerometer in the light to detect any movement of the bike, like any shaking and sent a text to your phone alerting you to possible theft or tampering. It has several easily adjusted light modes as well and comes with several well thought out mounting methods with all the hardware needed.

Very few integrated lights incorporate a blinking daylight mode which is demonstrably a better attention getting in daylight.

The Supernova M99 Pro 45 on my Delite Mountain uses 17 watts in low beam and 26 watts in high beam.
You mentioned the Supernova Mini.
Then the M99 Pro-45 @ 17W would be 4.86% against 350W motor usage.

Agreed about flashing during day or night.

There's absolutely no problem with turning LED's on & off quickly, in fact that's how some are dimmed (PWM - Pulse Width Modulation).
Therefore it's entirely possibly for the Bosch system (if programmed) to switch your LED light on & off itself, flashing a light that does not have a flashing mode.
Even make your own patterns! :)
Listening Bosch? :)
Control low/mid/high beam from the Bosch controller...

No, the information about a charging option of Nyon cant be easy cleaned without any customer satisfaction. It is deceptive advertising.

The Supernova M99 Pro 45 on my Delite Mountain uses 17 watts in low beam and 26 watts in high beam. It is a brilliant light at 1100 lumens low and 1600 high but really eats the power.
I can't get the High Beam / Low Beam button to work on my R&M Delite equipped with the Supernova M99 Pro 45. Clicking the button does not do anything. However, I can turn the lights on and off using the headlight switch on the Bosch Nyon.

I took it to the dealer to have it looked at and the service guy said the switch would have to be replaced ... but they didn't have it in stock.

I checked the switch with a multimeter -- it works fine. When the switch is clicked, the two wires indicate a closed circuit.

Is there something else that I can check for? Could it be a software issue or is the unit itself bad?

What Delite year and model do you have? The Supernova M99 Pro 45 is not compatible with the gen 4 motor but will work with a gen 2 motor but only wired into the battery to motor cable. It cannot be wired such that the on off switch on the display will work. If you have a gen 4 motor, you will need a M99 Mini, installing an M99 Pro on a gen 4 motor will likely void the Bosch warranty. On the Supernova compatibility chart this is all made clear. Mine is installed on a 2018 Delite Mountain with gen 2 CX motor.

What Delite year and model do you have? The Supernova M99 Pro 45 is not compatible with the gen 4 motor but will work with a gen 2 motor but only wired into the battery to motor cable. It cannot be wired such that the on off switch on the display will work. If you have a gen 4 motor, you will need a M99 Mini, installing an M99 Pro on a gen 4 motor will likely void the Bosch warranty. On the Supernova compatibility chart this is all made clear. Mine is installed on a 2018 Delite Mountain with gen 2 CX motor.
Sorry, you're right -- my Delite (2021, GT, Rohloff HS, Nyon, 625 Wh, Air-suspension upgrade, GX) is equipped with the Supernova M99 Mini Pro-45. It came like that from the factory (i.e. not an aftermarket upgrade). The Nyon buttons turns it on and off. The rear lights / brake lights work as expected. The only thing is that the button on the handlebar does not do anything. I'm not even sure if it's high beam or low beam -- just one of them.

Sorry, you're right -- my Delite (2021, GT, Rohloff HS, Nyon, 625 Wh, Air-suspension upgrade, GX) is equipped with the Supernova M99 Mini Pro-45. It came like that from the factory (i.e. not an aftermarket upgrade). The Nyon buttons turns it on and off. The rear lights / brake lights work as expected. The only thing is that the button on the handlebar does not do anything. I'm not even sure if it's high beam or low beam -- just one of them.
This bike is under full warranty. Don't even bother trying to sort it out on your own. This bike is under warranty. Fixing malfunctioning electrical components is something your dealer should be taking care of.

This bike is under full warranty. Don't even bother trying to sort it out on your own. This bike is under warranty. Fixing malfunctioning electrical components is something your dealer should be taking care of.
That was my expectation as well. I waited for the 400 mile / 3 months free tune-up and drove up 60 miles with the eBike to have them fix it.

The service tech said it was a faulty high/low switch and he'd notify me when a replacement arrived. I wasn't convinced, so I checked the switch. It works fine. Way better than taking a good part of the day to drive up and down a second time only to find out that it still hasn't been fixed.

Hence the DIY effort hoping someone else has encountered this problem and it is a software configuration issue or something simple.

@nantycoy With a great answer! At this time, reading the voltage on the battery and motor output are not options available through our displays. It never hurts to see what riders want to see on their displays. Out of curiosity, why do these parameters interest you?

Happy Friday!
Kia ora Stephen! I have a few feature requests. Firstly, I absolutely love the new Nyon, and the eBike Connect web service is really nice. What I would to see added:

1. Integration with Apple Health (the COBI smartphone hub app already offers this - why not on the top of the line Nyon?).
2. An Apple Watch companion app for eBike Connect with a "Stop Ride" button that then forces sync., and also shares HR information with Nyon. HR rebroadcast is available with some other third-party apps, so it's definitely possible.
3. When you next revise the casing for the Nyon, please include a metal lanyard loop. Removing the Nyon from the mount introduces a risk of dropping, and that's something I don't want - especially when getting children in and out of my Load 60.
4. Sharing to Strava, etc. happening automatically when selected on the web service, and for that to be set up on the iOS app too.
5. Mapping the light on/off button to the Riese & Mueller Load 60 (and other bikes) so that it actually turns lights on and off.
6. Auto scroll for Nyon data screens as per Garmin Edge series.

Thanks for reading!
Dave

Hmm. So my 2021 Load 60 light should turn on and off with the Nyon light button??

Hmm. So my 2021 Load 60 light should turn on and off with the Nyon light button??
This is easily fixed by any authorized Bosch bike shop. Activating the light on/off switch on your display or having the lights always on is a simple check box on the system when the bike is attached to the Bosch diagnostic and settings software.

I personally do not agree with your request to make Nyon compatible with any smart watch. Keeping it simple also tends to keep it more reliable. The more devices connected, the more potential for communication issues that will impact overall functionality. Best to keep it limited and for us to get the right equipment that we know will work without causing problems. Just look at all the issues people are having with their smart phone hubs versus Nyon, Purion or Kiox. I think it is a mistake to depend on devices that try to do everything.

This is easily fixed by any authorized Bosch bike shop. Activating the light on/off switch on your display or having the lights always on is a simple check box on the system when the bike is attached to the Bosch diagnostic and settings software.

I personally do not agree with your request to make Nyon compatible with any smart watch. Keeping it simple also tends to keep it more reliable. The more devices connected, the more potential for communication issues that will impact overall functionality. Best to keep it limited and for us to get the right equipment that we know will work without causing problems. Just look at all the issues people are having with their smart phone hubs versus Nyon, Purion or Kiox. I think it is a mistake to depend on devices that try to do everything.
Not “any smart watch” - just the Apple Watch, which is a very simple developer task when compiling the iOS app for eBike Connect. As for it over complicating things, it’s quite the opposite. One thing Nyon lacks right now is the ability for the rider to choose the start and stop point of their ride. HR rebroadcast is also pretty trivial. Garmin offers all of this on some of their lower and mid-range Edge series computers, which I’ve been riding with since they were first released. This is a mostly very slick consumer product - with a few glaring omissions.

Not “any smart watch” - just the Apple Watch, which is a very simple developer task when compiling the iOS app for eBike Connect. As for it over complicating things, it’s quite the opposite. One thing Nyon lacks right now is the ability for the rider to choose the start and stop point of their ride. HR rebroadcast is also pretty trivial. Garmin offers all of this on some of their lower and mid-range Edge series computers, which I’ve been riding with since they were first released. This is a mostly very slick consumer product - with a few glaring omissions.
Why only apple watch? Because you have one?

I have a Garmin Fenix, my good buddy has a Samsung Gear. Why not those and while they're at it, FItbit too. I'm sure there are others I omitted that would want in as well.

My Nyon works just fine with both my Polar H10 and OH1. Why ask for personal customization? Go out and buy one of those...problem solved. K.I.S.S.

Your proposal makes it more complicated. This is precisely how Apple handles the vast array of possibly interfaceable devices. They pick and choose and have a long list of unsupported file formats and devices.

Last edited:
Back