Novel Coronavirus discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a video the other day of people in Wuhan waiting in huge lines for hours to get food. What a great way to transmit an airborne virus.
Citizens extracted from Wuhan showing no signs of illness are held in quarantine for 2 weeks.

Woman arrives in Toronto from China and goes to the hospital with "intermittent cough".
Told to self isolate. Tested positive.

Province announces: "Given the individual's clinical assessment and history, there is a low risk that she was infectious."

- many millions of small businesses there are left with funds for only 30-60days max., banks are NOT lending anything now.
- same scenario could be playing worldwide.

This came up on my news feed, thought it was interesting.

People are trying to work their butts off to fix this problem and its much much worse than not as bad as everyone is reading.

8000 people in California are in self quarantine.

Sources?

This is probably going to be bad enough without exaggeration and wild rumors.

I was on conference calls with analysts from Lazard and Morgan Stanley today and two comments stood out:

"Even if everything returned to normal tomorrow we are likely looking at substantial disruption of supply chains."

"There will likely be shortages of consumer products in coming months."

This will hit more than e-bikes. And more than MacBook Pros too. I would expect maddening and bizarre shortages of things like sponges, beer (bottle caps), and AA batteries.

There's something odd in the language being employed by officials when reporting on the virus test results. The medical term for the virus is SARS-COV-2, not COVID-19. The D stands for disease. Those are different things.

There's something odd in the language being employed by officials when reporting on the virus test results. The medical term for the virus is SARS-COV-2, not COVID-19. The D stands for disease. Those are different things.
They’ve designated the formal name of the virus itself as SARS-COV-2. The disease/ syndrome resulting from this viral infection is being referred to as COVID-19.

They’ve designated the formal name of the virus itself as SARS-COV-2. The disease/ syndrome resulting from this viral infection is being referred to as COVID-19.
Yes, but I'm not seeing them refer to SARS-COV-2 test "positives". The "positive" is not for COVID-19.

The CDC just came out with this. it's quite troubling as they and WHO are not at all on the same page. Just yesterday WHO was adamant about not using the 'Pandemic' word, acting like the world was far from that scenario. There is no way these conflicting opinions are helping anyone properly prepare for this. US Businesses can't make informed decisions and even if they have people on the ground in China, there is so much fear of harsh repercussions (prison) from China's government that individuals there aren't willing to risk disclosing anything at all to anyone.

"The coronavirus outbreak that’s shuttered commerce across China will likely become a global pandemic, a top U.S. health official said, adding that it’s just a matter of time before the outbreak starts spreading in the U.S. “Current global circumstances suggest it’s likely this virus will cause a pandemic,” Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters at a news briefing. “It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of when this will happen and how many people in this country will become infected and how many of those will develop severe or more complicated disease,” she added. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar added: “We can’t hermetically seal off the United States.”

Sources?

This is probably going to be bad enough without exaggeration and wild rumors.

I was on conference calls with analysts from Lazard and Morgan Stanley today and two comments stood out:

"Even if everything returned to normal tomorrow we are likely looking at substantial disruption of supply chains."

"There will likely be shortages of consumer products in coming months."

This will hit more than e-bikes. And more than MacBook Pros too. I would expect maddening and bizarre shortages of things like sponges, beer (bottle caps), and AA batteries.
Google it. It's straight from the California Department of Health. I really don't appreciate your inference. If anything this entire corona virus situation has gone highly under reported for weeks. MSM is just now beginning to acknowledge what's been known for weeks in terms of seriousness. Can't help it if you haven't been paying much attention to it or just a cynical person in general.

Can you explain your statement a bit more. Makes me think you are a fan of memes.
Yes, memes of the kind that are compared to genes in certain structures.
The actual professors' use of language gives indications of who their main professors are and their professors and their professors can be known.

However in this case we're hearing from doctors scientists and politicians and the bureaucrats.
The professional officials/Directors etc I expect to say scripted language given to them and rehearsed by team. It still says something but it could be coming from anywhere at this point.
I'm not into that, however.
Here's what I'm looking at:
What word are the officials using and in which circumstance. and how they are being applied.

Correct language would be consistent with employing the most useful distinction or differentiation, scientifically.

And where has "communicable" gone?

So firstly, what is the definitive difference between the two?
infectious:
adjective
adjective: infectious
  1. (of a disease or disease-causing organism) likely to be transmitted to people, organisms, etc., through the environment.
con·ta·gious
/kənˈtājəs/
adjective
adjective: contagious
  1. 1.
    (of a disease) spread from one person or organism to another by direct or indirect contact.
    "a contagious infection"

For the public:

healthline

Pertussis, known as whooping cough, is highly contagious and one of the most commonly occurring diseases in the United States.

Measles is a virus that causes a fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes, and sore throat, and later a rash that spreads over the whole body. It’s a very contagious disease

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back