Noob gets a flat...

I hate presta valves. I use adapters on my Trike tires, and thankfully my eBike does not have them. I understand why they are needed on skinny tires, but I still hate them.

If you get enough flat tires like I do, you'll eventually learn to like Presta over Schrader. The retainer nut that exists on the Presta makes it easier to air up empty tube, while the Schrader valve is already a short valve and sinks into the rim when depressed.

There are always a few things I carry on my bike or take with me in my backpack; Spare tube, patch kit, pump that can be switched between schrader and presta valves, bicycle multi-tool that has a "tool" for every screw/bolt on my bike. If it doesn't I bring a small version of it. I also bring a "multi-tool". Thats the minimum...

As far as Schrader vs. Presta... I couldn't care less. I just make sure when I buy tubes they are what I use. Saves me a step between swapping the adapter on my pump...

Long ago I got a new bike with Presta valves and the bike shop sold me a frame pump with the bike that was Schrader only.

Lezyne, which otherwise makes great pumps, have a design flaw where they can unscrew a Presta valve core when you unscrew the pump. This can be very frustrating after you've just pumped up your tire, unscrew the pump, and watch all that air go out.

Got my tire inflated this morning at LBS. Was going to buy something this weekend (CO2, mini pump, adaptors) something!
Got home after work and I'm guessing it'll be flat by morning. Felt half full.
If that's the case I'll be back at LBS either looking for a new Presta valve, or a new tube.
I vote tube.
This puppy only has 60k/40m on it!

DaveMatthews, you might want to consider adding a tire liner, like a Mr. Tuffy or RhinoDillo and thicker thorn resistant tubes if this is your primary commuter bike. I know that's extra weight but more effective than slime stuff and many fewer flats...just a thought ;)

Got my tire inflated this morning at LBS. Was going to buy something this weekend (CO2, mini pump, adaptors) something!
Got home after work and I'm guessing it'll be flat by morning. Felt half full.
If that's the case I'll be back at LBS either looking for a new Presta valve, or a new tube.
I vote tube.
This puppy only has 60k/40m on it!
They inflated it without checking for a hole? Don't just put in a new tube, check the tire for something still sticking through. Get a patch kit, it's very easy to patch! It'll get a little pricey if you buy a bunch of tubes.

They inflated it without checking for a hole? Don't just put in a new tube, check the tire for something still sticking through. Get a patch kit, it's very easy to patch! It'll get a little pricey if you buy a bunch of tubes.
Yup.
Bike is so new that he figured it might have been an anomaly. If it's flat tomorrow, it'll be a warranty thing IMHO. In any case tomorrow is "D" day:)

A warranty thing that you ran over something?
Although I do not think that this will be the case, considering the tire size, 60k distance, ride locations, and tread format, yes.
If a heavier than regular bike (eMTB) cannot take what I did in 60k/40 miles, with the tires it comes with, then I suggest that unless there is a piece of glass in there, then the wrong tires are on it to begin with.
Make no mistake, I am not the kind of person that expects "stuff" for free. I'm in business. I get it.
If there is a blackberry thorn or the like in there, then this tire is not for me, or the bike IMHO.
It's a MTB, not a road cruiser or thin rimmed speeder.
If I get told that the tire is weak, I'll replace them. I do not expect anything reasonable to be rejected.
I love the bike, and I'm betting on a goofed Presta valve. We shall see tomorrow.

New bike... flat tire... Presta valves... no adaptor...
No ride:rolleyes:
Whaaaaaa!!!
Lol!
Well... Dave learns a lesson.
Dear Dave,
Always check what tools you might need when getting a new bike.

I had not seen Presta before, rats!

I just switch to presto valves. Not sure it was a good thing, thats all the LBS had. Should have purchased the right pump or adapter while there but did not. Back to the LBS today!

If there is a blackberry thorn or the like in there, then this tire is not for me, or the bike IMHO.
It's a MTB, not a road cruiser or thin rimmed speeder.
You expect rubber tires to be thorn proof? Then you purchased the wrong bike because a thorn will puncture the tire? Pretty extraordinary demands you place on your equipment. I don't envy your dealer when you go back today and demand a bicycle that won't get a flat.

I just switch to presto valves. Not sure it was a good thing, thats all the LBS had. Should have purchased the right pump or adapter while there but did not. Back to the LBS today!
If you put a Presta valve tube in a Schrader valve rim, it requires a special rubber grommet for the Presta tube to fit properly. Hopefully your bike shop fitted the rim with one. Your bill should have a separate line item for it.

Sunlite Rim Grommets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9QX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qGUBBbQ4J74KM

You could tear the tube without the grommet.

You expect rubber tires to be thorn proof? Then you purchased the wrong bike because a thorn will puncture the tire? Pretty extraordinary demands you place on your equipment. I don't envy your dealer when you go back today and demand a bicycle that won't get a flat.
Just got back from the LBS.
After much looking/feeling/lurking we found a... wait for it... thorn!
Lol!
I had a good time joking around with the boys there, and happily paid for the repair.
Job done. I'm surprised that a thorn took out a tire like that. Amazed actually. Can't say I've experienced that in over 50 years of bicycle ownership.
I must be one lucky guy.:p

Back