Noob gets a flat...

Check out Slime. I'm convinced it cuts tire issues of all types by a very large percentage.

I have slime tubes on my balloon tires, and got a pin-prick flat from a piece of glass. The tire refilled great at home, but then kept re-flattening when riding.

Bike tech said that the regular thickness tubes (which are darn thin) aren't stiff enough to hold a slime plug, so they move around and leak, but that the slime is effective in slowing the leak and making it possible to get home (in one case, I had to keep stopping and pumping to make it home, but did make it home).

He recommended using thicker heavy duty tubes if one wants to use a slime-type products. I just bought slime's "super-thick" tube to have on hand next time I need a tube. Fingers crossed till then!

Got myself a CO2 inflator today. Genuine Innovations HammerHead with a 20g screw in container.
https://shop.genuineinnovations.com...rs/products/hammerhead-co2-bike-tire-inflator

Also got a Topeak seat bag/wedge pack to carry/store tools, spare tube, CO2, Presta adaptors, and stuff.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/saddle-bags/129-aero-wedge-pack

And some Presta adaptors. The HammerHead doesn't need the adaptor, but my home inflator/pump does.

Thinking about slime tubes... thanks @ebikemom

@ebikemom , it depends a great deal on what you expect a slime tube to accomplish...

For me, the ability to pump up the tire and get home (or at least out of the rain or off the narrow highway shoulder) to where it is much easier to fix a flat is worth the extra cost and mess of a slime tube.

I was told long ago that if you get a flat on a slime tube you should replace the tube as soon as possible. Or possibly patch the tube.

Having said that, I've noticed over time that I have a tendency to develop slow leaks (usually losing about a pound or two of air per day) and with slime tubes that just does not happen. So I am a happy customer.

Another reason to fix the puncture on a slime tube asap is that the gunk leaks into the space between tube and tire and can make a serious mess. It is really mostly meant to be a quick-fix or way to help you get back, not a permanent solution.
Also, when changing or patching your tube you check the tire and rim for whatever caused the puncture in the first place. If you don't you may get flat after flat and pay a fortune in tubes.

<<<"Having said that, I've noticed over time that I have a tendency to develop slow leaks (usually losing about a pound or two of air per day) and with slime tubes that just does not happen. So I am a happy customer. ">>>

My stand point exactly. I've replaced tubes on several occasions that would loose air regularly - with no holes in the tubes. I've asked guys in bike shops if there are higher quality tubes available and was told no. I have asked those same guys if running slime might be a good option, again the answer was no (gauranteed terrible mess!!).

Finally, I struck out on my own and installed some as a preventative measure. End of issue. No more chronic low tires constantly needing air, even after months of use.

Bottom line, I'm now an advocate for installing it as a preventative measure. If I end up having to clean up a mess, so be it. It's worth the peace of mind knowing that I'm not going to be constantly worrying about how much air my tires have in them.... and have been taught that bike shop employees may not always be right.

Back