No throttle and no way home today... :(

1655436120506.png

Some get it wrong. And 'f'-up! They see the 'little spring' come out, That is the threads. Then the pedal backs out. New crank arms are required in this case while hostility is adjusted to account for reality. I learn best from my f-ups, by admitting them. Not anger or pointing away to others.

No need to get all upset. Accuracy matters, calm down

It could be confusing to some when Pedaluma is talking pedal threads (which is left tighty on the left pedal) and your talking about crankarms but saying pedals. Best to be accurate and consistent
Some ppl will ALWAYS be confused!
And others just look to start an argument.
Which one are you???

Some ppl will ALWAYS be confused!
And others just look to start an argument.
Which one are you???
I was just clarifying your statements. I actually thought you were confused

Perhaps if you had replied by 'yeah thats what I meant' instead of all the 'captain obvious stuff' and 'anyone would understand'.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to get all upset. Accuracy matters, calm down

It could be confusing to some when Pedaluma is talking pedal threads (which is left tighty on the left pedal) and your talking about crankarms but saying pedals. Best to be accurate and consistent
Besides there being no taper on a pedal attachment, how exactly do you shim a pedal?? Best to use common sense and logic, you find life goes a lot easier.

on my end

Besides there being no taper on a pedal attachment, how exactly do you shim a pedal?? Best to use common sense and logic, you find life goes a lot easier.
I thought you were confused since you were using the wrong words to describe the situation.

"as to what you wont get with a throttle is a is a big brand bike with its support and sometimes quality."

I would consider Pedego a big bike brand with quality and a throttle. This discussion of throttle vs no throttle is bs. I pedal 99.9% of the time but like to use the throttle to quickly get thru intersections/. The trails I ride frequently cross rural highway with fast moving traffic and no stop light. True they have pedestrian warning signs but most don't slow down.

Ya, you do pedal an electrically assisted bicycle.
When I put my bike in assist level 1 it's like I'm activating the throttle anyways it's more or less going through the motions of pedaling but not actually putting any force on the pedals... At that point it just seems ridiculous not to just hit the throttle... I generally have it in zero assist and pedal along with my wife and when I feel like it jam the throttle but we haven't went on any long ride yet...

When I put my bike in assist level 1 it's like I'm activating the throttle anyways it's more or less going through the motions of pedaling but not actually putting any force on the pedals... At that point it just seems ridiculous not to just hit the throttle... I generally have it in zero assist and pedal along with my wife and when I feel like it jam the throttle but we haven't went on any long ride yet...
That issue you describe is directly related to the quality/tuning of your bike's controller. This issue is the number 1 complaint from folks riding hub driven bikes.

The industry is still very young, and bike manf's are able to get away with total junk for a controller. It IS getting better. Some, Ride 1 Up for example, are starting to offer a little more quality, quality that allows the rider to make some adjustments in the amount of assist offered, especially in PAS 1. Riders will have this issue fresh in mind when it comes time to pick out the next bike, which will hopefully result in better controllers being available...

There was a professional bass player. He wanted a conversion. He did a test ride first. I explained that it is acoustic/electric. You are still playing/riding but you are running it through an amplifier. He nodded. When he picked up his bike he test rode it. Then asked, 'Where is the cruse control at?'
I wonder if that guy has cruse control on his fretless stand-up bass for more expressive jazz solos?

There was a professional bass player. He wanted a conversion. He did a test ride first. I explained that it is acoustic/electric. You are still playing/riding but you are running it through an amplifier. He nodded. When he picked up his bike he test rode it. Then asked, 'Where is the cruse control at?'
I wonder if that guy has cruse control on his fretless stand-up bass for more expressive jazz solos?
Are you actually comparing peddling a bike to playing jazz bass?
Say it ain't so !

I am the opposite, pedal all the time and use my throttle only to slightly get a heavy bike going or when i need just a little more power on a hill for the next 20 feet

or in this kind of situation where it would have been really nice to get home under my own power... :(
This throttle issue comes up all the time. I am a huge advocate of throttles when you need that little boost to get you going at a busy intersection, when stopped on an uphill stretch or when I am pooped out after a 40 mile ride on my last leg home. I still don't really get why you wouldn't at least want the option to have one.

This throttle issue comes up all the time. I am a huge advocate of throttles when you need that little boost to get you going at a busy intersection, when stopped on an uphill stretch or when I am pooped out after a 40 mile ride on my last leg home. I still don't really get why you wouldn't at least want the option to have one. I guess the anti throttle crowd are like the baseball purists who still want the pitcher to hit...
It's just another iteration of the anti e-bike, acoustic crowd . (We are cheating!)
Funny to see it in an e-bike forum though.
Confusing really!

This throttle issue comes up all the time. I am a huge advocate of throttles when you need that little boost to get you going at a busy intersection, when stopped on an uphill stretch or when I am pooped out after a 40 mile ride on my last leg home. I still don't really get why you wouldn't at least want the option to have one. I guess the anti throttle crowd are like the baseball purists who still want the pitcher to hit...
So not all bikes on the market give you the option. Our last 3 ebikes did not.

well you may sacrifice quality or weight with a bike that comes with a throttle. your not going to get most of the higher end bikes and you wont get the efficiency of the name brand mid drives. so its not always the throttle but what you cant have if you have one.

Seems like most who hate throttles don't have them on their machines. They also seem to have machines that never break down.
If I never us my throttle I'll take it anyway. Some day I may need it. It doesn't weigh much so it doesn't slow me down.

Back