No throttle and no way home today... :(

nope a trottle makes me lazy and it gets boring been there done that.
So let me get this straight. Because a throttle makes YOU lazy, and you are no longer entertained because your bike is throttle equipped, then throttles should not be used on e-bikes. Is that what you are saying?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was weird. I took a load of tools and spare parts to the home of that throttle bike this morning. The second it turned on it was going, all by itself. Somehow it was stuck in walk assist mode. I went into programing and turned that feature off. When I rebooted the bike was cured. The whole thing took three minutes. I find that HB throttles introduce some lag. I like the immediacy of having it in my pedals. This is especially noticeable in technical mountain biking. I also like having all digits free for hanging on, braking and shifting. This is still a form of throttle but just in a different location. I wouldn't call it lazy. It is cycling amplified.

So let me get this straight. Because a throttle makes YOU lazy (lack of self control, poor motivation?), and you are no longer entertained because your bike is throttle equipped, then throttles should not be used on e-bikes. Is that what you are saying?
no thats what your implying. I could care less what people ride I just get a kick out of the things they claim. Plus I love to argue.

For all you guys that dont like throttles i am kicking myself today for not getting the bike shop to go ahead and swap the controller and wiring on the tern bike so it had throttle

wanted to try out some miles on the new igh and 10 miles from home felt the right hand pedal acting funny, it is halfway backed out and probably chewed up the pedal arm...

shop probably had the pedal arm off for the igh?? but not sure why the pedal would have been removed??? Either way because there was no throttle on the bike i could not get home

no uber drivers around at all, was about to call AAA but some good samaritans with a pickup stopped and asked if i needed help , they gave me a ride home

the wiring harness is slightly too big so will have to be cut/spliced to change it out , that is the only reason the it was not changed already
need to get started on that project asap
I recently had the pedal back off one several times. It's always the seft side because of torque. Since the taper is worn down from use, I had to shime it with strips of aluminum, which worked fine, until this backing off issue.
I solved that issue by using a lock out type of glue on the thread of the hold in bolt. So far so good.
It is really nice to have the throttle back up completely separate from the drive drain !

What type of e-bike do you ride to experience all such disasters?

I cannot wait someone writes you can ride on the throttle in case of a flat tyre (which happens far more frequently than strange things described above).
Everyone, everyone who rides an ebike should carry flat repair supplies!
Carrying a whole drive train as a spare is NOT practical.

The only reason a 'L' pedal will back out is because it was threaded in wrong. It is left hand thread, so it tightens when you ride. Flat supplies are not needed ever when a bike is setup right: Marathon Plus, Mr. Tuffy with Stan's.

I will be making a house call to repair a HB throttle bike today. I am not opposed. But, HB throttles are just not needed for most riders. HB is handlebar. If it is in your foot with pedal pressure like a car, not cadence, than it is redundant on the HB. HB throttles detract from the aesthetic of a bike because they require more and thicker wires and a messier cockpit. It makes practical sense to just shift the throttle into the pedal. Yes, a case can be made for hand controls with cars too for certain cases. Push foot go.
View attachment 126100
LOL, HB?.... Where else would you have the throttle???

Last edited:
I recently had the pedal back off one several times. It's always the seft side because of torque. Since the taper is worn down from use, I had to shime it with strips of aluminum, which worked fine, until this backing off issue.
I solved that issue by using a lock out type of glue on the thread of the hold in bolt. So far so good.
It is really nice to have the throttle back up completely separate from the drive drain !
I had a cracked crank arm I peddled one legged several 9 mile rides on my mid drive. it just takes effort to get past problems.

The only reason a 'L' pedal will back out is because it was threaded in wrong. It is left hand thread, so it tightens when you ride. Flat supplies are not needed ever when a bike is setup right: Marathon Plus, Mr. Tuffy with Stan's.
actually not true it depends on the PSI. the higher pressure the less Stans and other sealants work. also if you cant find what's in your tire and remove it that wont work. often I can't find what was in my tire till I removed it and found it only on the inside of the tire. I don't often get flats with marathons but still one or two a year.

Come on the left crank torques against the right hand screw ! Remember righty tighty, lefty loosey.
"Flat supplies are not needed ever when a bike is setup right"
You think your tires are flat proof?
Accidents happen!

That was weird. I took a load of tools and spare parts to the home of that throttle bike this morning. The second it turned on it was going, all by itself. Somehow it was stuck in walk assist mode. I went into programing and turned that feature off. When I rebooted the bike was cured. The whole thing took three minutes. I find that HB throttles introduce some lag. I like the immediacy of having it in my pedals. This is especially noticeable in technical mountain biking. I also like having all digits free for hanging on, braking and shifting. This is still a form of throttle but just in a different location. I wouldn't call it lazy. It is cycling amplified.
So according to that logic, motorcycles should switch to pedals !

Dont you mean the crankarm? I am not aware of any pedals which have a square taper.

Dont you mean the crankarm? I am not aware of any pedals which have a square taper.
Yes
The pedal is attached to the crank arm.
From my description, anyone would be able to understand what I was referring to.

Yes ...Captain Obvious.
The pedal is attached to the crank arm.
From my description, anyone would be able to understand what I was referring to.
Accuracy matters.

It could be confusing to some when Pedaluma is talking pedal threads (which is left tighty on the left pedal) and your talking about crankarms but saying pedals. Best to be accurate and consistent

Back