New UC Pro (Carbon) update

pushkar

All

Here is a quick update on the new UC Pro (move to carbon)

1. In-frame GPS tests have been a success. Pretty much any GPS will work as long as it is at or below 70mm x 40mm x 35mm.

2. New frame prototypes are on track and expected end of October.

3. I have made a LOT of progress on paint options. Please expect pictures in the next 2-3 weeks as test frames are painted.

4. After beta testing the carbon , the front rack will not be possible. Just too much stress on the headtube to make the front rack useful. :(

5. All other parts have started to come in - handlebars, tires, wheelsets....

I will start posting the build pics and update online pricing this week as I get the build updates.

Last edited:
Sounds good, Pushkar, except for the loss of the front rack. Do you have another feature planned to take its place to make that loss sting less? 🤞

No front rack is a large problem for me. I was hoping to put a rando rack with a fixed front fork on this bike.

Sounds good, Pushkar, except for the loss of the front rack. Do you have another feature planned to take its place to make that loss sting less? 🤞

FWIW, while testing riding the original prototype I found the original rack to be disorienting. It was fixed forward, as opposed to turning with the wheel. It was distracting to see... or perhaps "not to see" the wheel move as you turned!

Do you have another feature planned to take its place to make that loss sting less? 🤞

I think carbon with the ability to embed GPS in the frame is a pretty great feature. I’m excited by the shift away from aluminum. I didn’t want the front rack anyways, but I know some were looking forward to it.

Smart move all around. IMO when you start getting over 70pds with aluminum that’s too heavy.
What GPS unit are you using? A lot of confusion around these devices.

FWIW, while testing riding the original prototype I found the original rack to be disorienting. It was fixed forward, as opposed to turning with the wheel. It was distracting to see... or perhaps "not to see" the wheel move as you turned!
That is the correct way of mounting a front rack, so the weight on it doesn’t affect the steering.

Your eyes shouldn’t be fixated on the wheel or rack when riding! 😲 Eyes forward so the bike goes where you look. 😁

All

1. In-frame GPS tests have been a success. Pretty much any GPS will work as long as it is at or below 70mm x 40mm x 35mm.

3. I have made a LOT of progress on paint options. Please expect pictures in the next 2-3 weeks as test frames are painted.

4. After beta testing the carbon , the front rack will not be possible. Just too much stress on the headtube to make the front rack useful. :(

I will start posting the build pics and update online pricing this week as I get the build updates.
That sounds exciting and I can see how not having the rack turn with the wheel could be disorienting.

Smart move all around. IMO when you start getting over 70pds with aluminum that’s too heavy.
What GPS unit are you using? A lot of confusion around these devices.
We have a couple of options. I’m interested in having a USPS provider, just for Security and privacy sake. That being said, there are a lot of devices and instruments are available. Tom provided a couple of links, and they work well As well.

All

Are you saying you are going to have a step through in carbon fiber ?

That is with both batteries, correct? Riding with only the integrated battery should get that down to the mid 50s.
That’s with single battery. This is the weight of the current titanium version (~63lbs) for comparison.

just back of the envelope
- motor 12-13lbs
- each battery 14-15 lbs
- wheel sets (With Rohloff / Kindernay) and tires will be 12-15 lbs.
- add frame, fork, seatpost, fenders, rack, handlebar, lights, grips, brakes, rotors, and those add up.
Without the fenders rack lights etc and going carbon on everything else, we can be around 55-58 lb. Which is what the travalanche is at the moment.

Back