New tires and rotating tires on Rad Rover

For the BMX'ers the tire manufacturers have even created super thick jumping tubes. Think that's really for the folks who want to do tricks & jump a lot of curbs, concrete tables, hand rails... :D but my many years of bike commuting with a ton of books or groceries made me really trust the combo of a traditional thorn resistant tube with a tire liner. It's no fun changing a tube on the go with a heavy hub motor bike!

Can 26 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms be setup as tubeless?
I'm aware of bmx-ers who've gone tubeless on them, with 20" rims. I'd be interested in knowing if someone has success on 26" x 4 rims. They seem to need a tube to push them out wide against the rim. With conti downhill tubes I'm enjoying hookworms on the city streets :)

I actually like the road noise from the stock tires.. At first I hated it. But as more and more miles are packed on I actually like the noise. Lets folks know I'm coming up and to me kinda has that tone that fits the bike - like a muffler on the car.

I also had to re-adjust the rear brakes to cut down on too much drag to help pro-long the life of the tread. (I also replaced the rear disc & pads 100 miles in to help better the stopping power and control)

I am curious to see what mileage I get.. I hope I can source out some tires tho when due with some that are all black. Not a fan of the bright yellow on the Max tires.

So did anyone rotate their tyres ? I swapped my front and back tyres - they seem fine considering the tyres are the same - however my bike seems to be pulling to the left a bit - any reason why this might be happening ?

Hi @walawn , do you happen to have a picture of the RadRover with the Hookworms 26x2.5? Or anyone else have one? I just wanted to see how it looked.

@sid5427 make sure that your disc brake caliper is adjusted correctly. a grabby caliper can cause this.
The calipers seemed ok - I anyway took it to a bike shop to give the entire bike a tune up - turns out the front disc was a bit loose - they tightened it and it seems ok for now.

I'm starting to wear my tires out during my work commute. I have around 600 miles on each RR and ride about 70%-80% paved road compared to trail duties. The fronts look around 50% while the rear are between 25%-35%. I still like to hit the trails sometimes and like something that can handle paved road duties with light hard packed trails when needed. I started looking hard at the VeeRubber Vee 8 26X4" 120tpi tire at $100 for two on eBay. I was checking this site out comparing different types of fat tire:

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/fat-bike-reviews

Has anyone tried the Vee 8?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Also debating going with the Origin 8 Supercell 120tpi, Amazon, $43ea. These look 100% street and I still need a little trail capability.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Mr. Gold - What PSI are you running your factory tires at?

I put about 200 miles on my one radrover and the rear tire looks a bit worn.. The PSI on those tires are around 20-22 psi. Only time it was down to 10 psi was during my camp trip on the beach. But sand is far more forgiving than pavement so I didn't notice a difference as I pumped them back up to 20psi when I got home.

My new radrover has 1 mile on it but I took it to my local bike shop to have them adjust the shifter and alignment of the brakes and he told me to never run at 20 psi and bumped my tires down to 10 psi. I did notice an instant difference compared to the older radrover in terms of steering and smoothness. Not sure how the miles per battery pan out as I only have 1 mile on the new bike - but I'd like to have some input as you are up to 600 miles now with roughly 50%/30% as you say..

I have 1,000 kms on my Voltbike Yukon 750, which is similar the Radrover. I run my fat tires at 7 PSI on gravel, trails and asphalt. My wear is almost exactly same as Mr. Gold's.

I tried running higher 15 PSI (to reduce rolling resistant), but the ride was really harsh, with very little gain in battery efficiency. I find 7-10 PSI to be best for me. Anything lower, the steering feels unresponsive.

I usually set the PSI between 18-20 PSI for my commute and around 12-15 psi if I do 100% trail riding. I can give lowering the PSI around 12-15 PSI to see how it rides/handles for my morning commute. I think I will still go ahead and purchase the Vee 8 tires since they are a lot better for hard pavement/hard packed trail riding compared to the factory tires.

UPDATE: Ended up having a flat about 4 miles in on my 6.5 miles commute to work yesterday (PSI was set to 20). I think I ran over some glass or a sharp rock that put a 1/8 slice in the tire, tire liner, and inner tube. I was 100% out of air and the tire loose from the rim in about 200 feet. Stans tire sealant couldn't plug a hole that large. I had to call the wife to come pick me up at 6am. I think I would have been all right if the glass/rock would have landed on top of the knob instead of in-between them. I think this is another reason to switch over to the Vee 8 tires since they have 4X more knobs.

I did lowered my PSI to 15 front/back and the bike rode fine this morning. It did feel a touch more sluggish during acceleration and a little more squirrelly on road imperfections (like if you ride too close where the concrete gutter meets the asphalt road). If it gives me a few more miles of tire life, I'll take it!

Last edited:
hmm i run my radrover at 25-28psi, havent noticed the ride being harsh

think i have 800-1000 miles on the rover now- changed displays with the new controller 400 miles ago

my tires look a little worn but not bad

will be interested to see how those vee 8 tires do for you

sorry about the flat , no fun!

Back