New tires and rotating tires on Rad Rover

Hmmmm well Im going to roll my new RR at 10 psi for a couple hundred miles and see what that gets me tire wise. I'll take measurements and compare the old RR wear data with the new RR wear data.

I should add that I don't carry many gear and I am not a heavy person when I ride at 7-10 psi.

Last edited:
If everyone else is running that low think i will bring mine down to 20psi and see how it goes

@vincent Be careful not to get pinch flats running low psi. Especially if you are like me and a little thick around the midsection. I run heavy duty downhill tubes, thick rim liners, and tuffy tire liners.

Last edited:
ok, i decided to try 22psi on the rover
does anyone think i run the risk of pinch flats that low?

i weigh about 220 and the bike packs/rack are probably 12 lbs or so

thanks for the info walawn

I think you will have to be below 10 PSI before a pinch flat might happen. I ran as low as 10-12 PSI and had zero issues running the Radrover in Sandia foothills on hardpacked and rocky trails that will scrape your pedals if you are not paying attention to your pedal placement.

I'm 270lbs+topeak rack/bag and I run around 14-15 PSI on paved road and trail for one Radrover and 20 PSI for the other to compare. I find for me the RR rides a little better at higher PSI if you are 100% paved and +15 mph. The lower PSI feels a little better to me on dirt trails (hardpacked, rocky, steep inclines, loose/sandy terrain) and speeds below 13 mph. I'm trying to find the PSI sweet spot that can take care of both since I sometimes take detours on the way home from my work commute and hit the single track trails near the Rio Grande river.

Last edited:
I was always a high psi rider. I run 65 psi in my regular mtb and 25 psi in my RR. I would run 30 but Rad recommends 20 so I went right in between. I live on Long Island so no goat heads, thorns, cactus spikes whatever.. but I NEVER get flats on my bikes. Also, Im 260 lbs.

EDIT: my brother is about 20 lbs lighter than me, runs much less air (35 psi in his MTB), and he gets flats pretty often.

When you go to hookworms, do you reset the tire size on the lcd so top speed remains the same?

@Lost Yeah. I would drop it by a couple of inches. The stock tires are actually 29" inflated. Hookworms are true 26" inflated. You'll notice more torque and acceleration for sure. Play around with the diameter settings until the bike rides the way you want it to. I would prefer this over a true speedometer reading.

I got the Vee 8 tires installed on one of my Radrover last night. The Vee 8 is a 120 TPI tire and was very easy to put on the rim without using any tools. The hard part is making sure the tire is seated properly as you air it up because the tire is soft and floppy with the folding bead (you can pretty much fold the tire and put it in a large ziploc bag). It might be very difficult if you have a hand pump. I have a Viair 90P portable compressor I can connect to my car battery. I can turn the compressor on and use both hands to set the tire as it slowly airs up. I did the usual Mr. Tuffy liner and Stans tire sealant also.

I did 20 PSI to see how it felt on my morning commute. It is not as noisy and might be considered quiet compared to the Kenda Juggernaut. I think the Vee 8 might be a touch heavier than the Kenda; but, the Vee 8 have a lower rolling resistance. I still need to play around with the PSI and give them a try on the dirt trails near the Rio Grande river.

Only my rear Kenda tires were worn on both bikes compared to my front tires (fronts 50%, rears 20%-25%). I did purchase two sets of Vee 8; but, only put them on one RR. I wanted to put the other front Kenda tire that was only 50% worn on the rear of the 2nd bike to compare the Kenda and Vee 8 side-by-side (work commute, PSI, trial riding, etc...).

I need to compare sizes of both tires on the bikes because the Vee 8 look a touch smaller in tire width and sidewall height to the Kenda?

So far, quiet and smoother ride on paved roads at +20 mph have the Vee 8 up on the me likey scale compared to the Kenda. I also need to keep track of my mileage and rotate the Vee 8 tires after about 500 miles if they wear the same as the Kenda.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

180lb rider 6" tall, I run my original tires at 25 PSI for mostly pavement. I find I can move much quicker at the higher PSI.

I'm still running the original Vee8 tires I installed back in Feb/17 on my two 2016 Rovers. I had less than 1000 miles on the rear Kenda tires before I needed to replace. I am between 2300-2500 miles per Rover with the Vee8 tires with the tires around 50% worn. I rotated the tires around 1500-1700 miles to even wear out. I was lucky and was able to find 4 replacement Vee8s on eBay over the last 2 years as down the road replacements. I'm still very pleased with the lower noise, high speeds, road/trail capabilities, long wear, and flat resistance with these tires (run around 21.5-23 psi).

I'm still running the original Vee8 tires I installed back in Feb/17 on my two 2016 Rovers. I had less than 1000 miles on the rear Kenda tires before I needed to replace. I am between 2300-2500 miles per Rover with the Vee8 tires with the tires around 50% worn. I rotated the tires around 1500-1700 miles to even wear out. I was lucky and was able to find 4 replacement Vee8s on eBay over the last 2 years as down the road replacements. I'm still very pleased with the lower noise, high speeds, road/trail capabilities, long wear, and flat resistance with these tires (run around 21.5-23 psi).

Is there any counter steering with the Vee8 when the side of the tires are contacting the pavement when turning?

Is there any counter steering with the Vee8 when the side of the tires are contacting the pavement when turning?

I haven notice any counter steer with the Vee8 tires at low or high speeds. The Rover goes where I point her on turns. I usually slow down for turns and sometimes pump the rear brakes to bleed off speed before starting the turn. I tend to turn by a combo of leaning the rover and turning the handlebars slightly.

One advantage with the old Kenda tires was they can run at lower PSI in the 12-17 range (Kenda suck everywhere else compared to the Vee8). I sometimes ran the Kenda that low and had no problems trail riding and hitting the paved road home. The Vee8 really hate low PSI in that range and I get really bad self steer. Self steer goes away 100% at +19 PSI.

Back