NEW SONDORS LX

I think the additional weight isn't going to be as big a problem as some people think it will be. After all it does have wheels on it and you will be able to move it around easily, you won't be feeling it when riding it. There are plenty of other brands out that have about the same weight to them.
I agree, the weight makes it feel a lot more sturdy and stable when riding. It's counter-intuitive, one would think that a heavy bike would be more difficult to control... but once you're moving it is awesome.

I could see stopping/starting being difficult for small riders, and anyone who lives on an upper floor apartment and wants to store their LX inside is going to have a bad time. Carrying 90 pounds of monster ebike up a flight of stairs would be one hell of a workout!

Thanks for the info troehrkasse, I guess I was way off.....
I live on the top (4th floor) of a condo and will be keeping the LX inside ...... thankfully there is an elevator.....

I agree, the weight makes it feel a lot more sturdy and stable when riding. It's counter-intuitive, one would think that a heavy bike would be more difficult to control... but once you're moving it is awesome.

I could see stopping/starting being difficult for small riders, and anyone who lives on an upper floor apartment and wants to store their LX inside is going to have a bad time. Carrying 90 pounds of monster ebike up a flight of stairs would be one hell of a workout!
It could be a handful for some people
because of the size. I don't think that I'd want to take any ebike up a flight of stairs on a regular basis.

I hope it's a big elevator!
The Rock Star unboxing and build shows tracking, arriving on Tuesday. I can tell by this photo that it is a lighter bike than the LS because it floats upright without a kickstand.
1616279807425.png

Would you look at that, it's perfectly balanced. I'm so into this ebike that I already bought a Rockstar t shirt and that would be the one for the energy drink.
It could be that they have an alliance with Google's Self-driving division of Alphabet:

Imagine the breaking power needed for this beast if the rider is 260 lbs. for total of 350 lbs.
If you are going at max speed and have to stop suddenly. I hope it has good brakes.

"There are" not "plenty of other brands out that have about the same weight to them."
Back to the basics, a monster E bike handle well if you can influence it with your own weight and strength, like troehrkasse who is 6' 3".
Of course they are more stable, they are more difficult to move.
Based on my 4 years experience with a 65 lbs E bike, "carrying 90 pounds of monster ebike up a flight of stairs would be one hell of a workout", frightening and ultimately a 2 persons job.

Last edited:
Back to the basics, a monster E bike handle well if you can influence it with your own weight and strength, like troehrkasse who is 6' 3".
True, my height helps, especially when starting and stopping as I can just put my feet down while remaining on the saddle. I've found it is more about balance and technique than anything else, although that's more from riding motorcycles than it is ebikes. My current bike is a VFR1200X and it's huge, dry weight of 604 pounds, yet compared to all of the smaller motorcycles I've ridden this one is the easiest to balance and maneuver. However, when I need to back it up... then it is not so great :oops:

Interestingly, the guy I bought this motorcycle from was only 5' 6". When on the bike he could only touch the ground with his tip-toes... but he still handled it like a pro and put about 10k miles on it without ever tipping it over.

"There are" not "plenty of other brands out that have about the same weight to them."
Of course they are more stable, they are more difficult to move.
Based on my 4 years experience with a 65 lbs E bike, "carrying 90 pounds of monster ebike up a flight of stairs would be one hell of a workout", frightening and ultimately a 2 persons job.
The extra weight gain is a continuation of the design that Sondors has developed which combines a full size frame with larger tires and wheels. A larger battery, and a more powerful motor that is molded into the frame added about 10 more pounds to what was already a heavy ebike.

It makes one wonder what the response of us buyers would have been and if we would have pulled the buy trigger had they mistakingly advertised the bike as being 25 pounds heavier than the the actual weight it turned out to be. Does any one think they would have sold nearly as many? I think we all know the answer to that question.
There really isn't any valid excuse for underestimating the weight of anything that much designed and built in the computer age we live in. the miscalculation should have been mere ounces not the weight of a sac of flour. LOL.

The extra weight gain is a continuation of the design that Sondors has developed which combines a full size frame with larger tires and wheels. A larger battery, and a more powerful motor that is molded into the frame added about 10 more pounds to what was already a heavy ebike.
I totally agree with you on that. IMHO they just went too far.
Like I said before, this bike could be a great large person sturdy E bike. Just sell it for what it is, stop finding excuses for its exceptional weight.

I totally agree with you on that. IMHO they just went too far.
Like I said before, this bike could be a great large person sturdy E bike. Just sell it for what it is, stop finding excuses for its exceptional weight.
The additive approach does not work very well. Once you start removing stuff things get better. Lighter battery, motor.. = lighter frame...

It makes one wonder what the response of us buyers would have been and if we would have pulled the buy trigger had they mistakingly advertised the bike as being 25 pounds heavier than the the actual weight it turned out to be. Does any one think they would have sold nearly as many? I think we all know the answer to that question.
There really isn't any valid excuse for underestimating the weight of anything that much designed and built in the computer age we live in. the miscalculation should have been mere ounces not the weight of a sac of flour. LOL.
Yeah, they were way off. Considering that their earlier big bike the XS weighed 71 pounds, and the LX has much bigger frame, battery, motor... there's no way they could expect it to only weigh 65 pounds.

This seems to be a trend for SONDORS going all the way back to their first crowd-funded bike, initial estimates for weight are quite generous and then eventually those get updated to more realistic numbers. Granted, inaccuracies like this are hardly unique to SONDORS, but they do seem to have a wider margin of error than most :rolleyes:

Back