New Rize X Ordered My Experience

well, Small snafu, I received my fedex number and then got a call from Rize, telling me I ordered the last Silver bike....but they can't find it, lol.
They were good about communicating with me so my option was to get the black mat verizon, which shows to arrive on Monday from Carson, CA.
I originally wanted red, out of stock so I chose Silver,,,gone awol, and ended up with black.
The black is quite nice. I have a matte black Rize X, and a red RX Pro. I do love the red, but the black one is very stealth and cool looking with the little red stripe accents. The ONLY complaint I have about the matte black is that it readily shows dust and every muddy splash or little oil stain/chain dribble. The glossy red takes a lot of dirt before it really looks dirty, and I'm sure the silver would be similar or even better.

The black is quite nice. I have a matte black Rize X, and a red RX Pro. I do love the red, but the black one is very stealth and cool looking with the little red stripe accents. The ONLY complaint I have about the matte black is that it readily shows dust and every muddy splash or little oil stain/chain dribble. The glossy red takes a lot of dirt before it really looks dirty, and I'm sure the silver would be similar or even better.
Thanks for the reply, and that's why I avoided the black. Any time matte is involved, it's a smudge machine. I'll have to work a deal with my wife to keep it clean!!

Ridingsoon, hope you don't mind me adding on to your thread. My X got here today and to my surprise, after Rize telling me they're sending the black bike, it is in fact the silver one I originally ordered, so things started off right.
I overtightened a luggage rack bolt and stripped the threads but other than that, everything went well. Taking tomorrow off to ride.

Ridingsoon, hope you don't mind me adding on to your thread. My X got here today and to my surprise, after Rize telling me they're sending the black bike, it is in fact the silver one I originally ordered, so things started off right.
I overtightened a luggage rack bolt and stripped the threads but other than that, everything went well. Taking tomorrow off to ride.
Please add all you like!!! The silver looks much better in person, don’t you think?

I did find the manual lacking a bit for details but figured much if it out by looking at pictures! Mine came with the battery 80% which was perfect.
Enjoy!!!

Silver is exactly what I wanted and I'm glad it worked out, but I do think all 3 colors of this bike look great.
A couple of oddities, I'm guessing due to the shortage of bike parts worldwide right now.
My derailer is an Altus, not the Acera that's advertised on the web site. It does look like a 11-34 9 speed cassette. No biggee as I've read good things about the Altus derailer.
My manual is for a Leisure bike, lol, which I realize is a smaller version of the X but thought that was odd, must have run out of manuals. I downloaded a copy for the X.
Battery showed 3 of 4 bars. Been charging it for several hours and the charger light is still red, should be done soon.
Things were pretty tossed around in the box and what not but not a scratch on it that I can find.
Thought it funny the Fedex guy raised the back door to his van and the box was laying flat on it's side, marked DO NOT LAY FLAT, lol.
Last, with the kickstand down, the bike was really laying over too much. Took me awhile to notice the adjustment screw to extend it.

Silver is exactly what I wanted and I'm glad it worked out, but I do think all 3 colors of this bike look great.
A couple of oddities, I'm guessing due to the shortage of bike parts worldwide right now.
My derailer is an Altus, not the Acera that's advertised on the web site. It does look like a 11-34 9 speed cassette. No biggee as I've read good things about the Altus derailer.
My manual is for a Leisure bike, lol, which I realize is a smaller version of the X but thought that was odd, must have run out of manuals. I downloaded a copy for the X.
Battery showed 3 of 4 bars. Been charging it for several hours and the charger light is still red, should be done soon.
Things were pretty tossed around in the box and what not but not a scratch on it that I can find.
Thought it funny the Fedex guy raised the back door to his van and the box was laying flat on it's side, marked DO NOT LAY FLAT, lol.
Last, with the kickstand down, the bike was really laying over too much. Took me awhile to notice the adjustment screw to extend it.
I didn’t even look, where can I see the detailer brand? Mine also came with a leisure manual.

RE your batteries, make sure you do the full long charge the first 2-3 times. The batteries aren't balanced at assembly, so you will need to let them balance with a full charge or two. You will often see the range improve slightly and stabilize after that. A full charge can be 4-5 hours as the charger slows down near the end.

And definitely check your bolts regularly for the first month or so, as things do seem to creep loose. I found my crank arms needed proper torqueing twice and a few little fender and rack screws tried to escape within the first 500kms of mine. Things stabilized after that. Cables may stretch a smidge too, so don't be surprised if you need to tweak the derailleur in a few miles.

Enjoy, and post up if you have any questions. I agree the manual is pretty basic, so simple things like adjusting that kickstand, changing the handlebar stem angle, and even adjusting the suspension seat post (if equipped) are often overlooked.

RE your batteries, make sure you do the full long charge the first 2-3 times. The batteries aren't balanced at assembly, so you will need to let them balance with a full charge or two. You will often see the range improve slightly and stabilize after that. A full charge can be 4-5 hours as the charger slows down near the end.

And definitely check your bolts regularly for the first month or so, as things do seem to creep loose. I found my crank arms needed proper torqueing twice and a few little fender and rack screws tried to escape within the first 500kms of mine. Things stabilized after that. Cables may stretch a smidge too, so don't be surprised if you need to tweak the derailleur in a few miles.

Enjoy, and post up if you have any questions. I agree the manual is pretty basic, so simple things like adjusting that kickstand, changing the handlebar stem angle, and even adjusting the suspension seat post (if equipped) are often overlooked.
Thank you!

I didn’t even look, where can I see the detailer brand? Mine also came with a leisure manual.
1612361869800.png

This is a stock photo but you can see the silver part of the derailer labeled Shimano Acera. Mine is black and labeled Shimano Altus
lastly, stock photos show Kenda Krusade tires, mine came with Kenda Juggernaut

Last edited:
Update, I am now about 500 mi in and have had no real problems. I have brake pad noise occasionally but its not enough for me to want to change them out early. I do need to adjust the derailleur but I am holding off until it actually slips out of 9th instead of just occasionally acting like it is and then ultimately not doing it. Been a great bike so far.

Update, I am now about 500 mi in and have had no real problems. I have brake pad noise occasionally but its not enough for me to want to change them out early. I do need to adjust the derailleur but I am holding off until it actually slips out of 9th instead of just occasionally acting like it is and then ultimately not doing it. Been a great bike so far.
Good to hear. I found the Rize batch last year had marginal brake pads, but if you go through the steps to re-bed them from time to time, they quiet down and there seems to be no real longevity problem. I have about 1,500kms on my X, still with original brakes and drivetrain without issue. My chain is less than .5 wear, and I'll easily get through this year on the original brakes, and I consider myself a hard and fast (and heavy) rider.

And don't fear the derailleur. Once you get the hang of it, it's only a 5 minute job to tweak all the settings and keep it silky smooth and fast shifting. A clean chain is always the first and most critical step though. I find the Park Tools videos on YouTube are fantastic for getting the hang of intermediate maintenance.

Good to hear. I found the Rize batch last year had marginal brake pads, but if you go through the steps to re-bed them from time to time, they quiet down and there seems to be no real longevity problem. I have about 1,500kms on my X, still with original brakes and drivetrain without issue. My chain is less than .5 wear, and I'll easily get through this year on the original brakes, and I consider myself a hard and fast (and heavy) rider.

And don't fear the derailleur. Once you get the hang of it, it's only a 5 minute job to tweak all the settings and keep it silky smooth and fast shifting. A clean chain is always the first and most critical step though. I find the Park Tools videos on YouTube are fantastic for getting the hang of intermediate maintenance.
Thank you I am watching the park tool videos now! Now that I am riding regularly I find myself wanting to settle in to about 25-30mi rides. For some reason I can never bring myself to actually use just the throttle.

Thank you I am watching the park tool videos now! Now that I am riding regularly I find myself wanting to settle in to about 25-30mi rides. For some reason I can never bring myself to actually use just the throttle.
On the bold, pretty sure that would make you just like most of us here.

Back