New RAD Pricing!

Delta

Effective today Jan. 31, Rad is permanently rolling back their prices to pre tariff pricing. This will also apply to any bike purchased since Jan. 1, 2019. This company is great.

rad-power-bikes-pricing-update-tariffs.jpg

The official text reads "In August of 2018, the sudden 25% tariff imposed on electric bikes shook the entire ebike industry. Almost overnight, manufacturing became much more expensive, leaving nearly every ebike company with two options: raise prices or risk going under. We found a way to absorb much of the tariff ourselves, but our customers were still impacted as it caused the prices on all our ebikes to raise by $200. As a company whose mission it is to maximize the accessibility of electric bikes, this absolutely crushed us. We’ve worked so hard to provide our customers with reliable, high-quality, and affordable electric bikes so the notion of needing to increase prices went against everything we stood for. Starting today, January 31, 2019, we will be absorbing 100% of the tariff on electric bikes and dropping prices on all ebike models by $200 to their original, pre-tariff prices! Any ebike that was $1,699 is once again $1,499 and any ebike that was $1,799 is back to $1,599. As our continued commitment to supporting our customers, we will also be offering price-matching for anyone who purchased an ebike between January 1, 2019 and January 31, 2019 (this will be done automatically and requires no action on your part)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Effective today Jan. 31, Rad is permanently rolling back their prices to pre tariff pricing. This will also apply to any bike purchased since Jan. 1, 2019. This company is great.
Exciting to hear! I've had a batch of reviews on hold for these prices... Planning to update and post the videos live later tonight. You can check out everything besides the RadBurro for 2019 here: http://electricbikereview.com/brand/rad-power-bikes/ my favorite is the new RadMini Step-Thru :D

But why are they doing this ? Are they eating the entire tariff or did they manage to find factory space in Taiwan or Vietnam to avoid China tariff ?

According to their article they are eating some of the cost and also said they have made some better deals with their suppliers that will lower their production costs and, that quality will remain the same as it has always been.

Their prices are good but it is time for them to add a torque sensor and hydraulic brakes.
I second the hydraulic brakes but haven't seen perfect execution on torque sensors at a low price point. Even the "high end" TMM4 torque sensors can be unreliable... Like if you try to pedal while turning the system on. I feel that SR Suntour did a good job with their latest hub motor system (shown on the recent IZIP E3 TRLZ review here). I think they used torque, cadence, and speed... which works very well on mid-drive systems like Bosch, Brose, Shimano, and Yamaha.

Love my disc brakes. I understand that hydraulics have some advantages and some disadvantages? Thoughts?

Love my disc brakes. I understand that hydraulics have some advantages and some disadvantages? Thoughts?

I just converted my Addmotor M550 P7 fat tire bike to hydraulic brakes and like them better than the mechanicals, faster lower effort stopping. I do not see any negatives.

As a 300+lb rider of a Rad City, ridden very often in a hilly coastal area, I can atest to the fact the standard Rad brakes are plenty adequate. Are there better brakes available? Without a doubt, just like there are much more expensive higher quality bikes available. The bigger point with the Rad bikes though, is that they represent a very good buy on the bucks spent for bang recieved meter.

I really like the approach of Rad power. They seem to be doing things right especially in terms of making their customers happy or listening to them.

This is pretty exciting news! After asking some questions and some back-and-forth with Court ( who is truly great), I'm probably gonna buy the Step-Thru when they release it. I was very disappointed to see the price increase, and especially the fact that the 2019 came without the rear rack as standard equipment and the controller box mounted externally. I was very close to pulling the trigger on another model, but with this announcement, Rad Power moves back to the top of my list. If you haven't seen it, here is their announcement video:

The basic difference seems to be that hydraulic brakes require less effort from the rider to stop the bike and require no adjustments, but are harder to service (bleeding the lines e.g.), while mechanical brakes require more effort from the rider, but are easier to adjust and maintain by the owner. Hydraulics also add to the price, as you might guess. Either will stop the bike well; it's just that one requires more effort than the other.

More effort being 2 fingers required rather than just one - worst case.

My Juiced CCX has hydraulic brakes. I have never had them on a bike before as all of my road bikes have standard caliper brakes. I can tell you that hydraulics are fascinating. They take that big heavy bike traveling at 25mph and just stop it cold! Very noticeable to me on the first ride. I am so happy to have them as a stock component.

Even better was the adjusting of them. I literally have to adjust my calipers on my road bikes every couple weeks and it's such a pain. They rub, they're offset, travel is too much, too little, etc. That's back when I was putting on 200 miles a week though.

My hydraulics were rubbing right out of the box. I popped the bike on my Park stand, loosened the retaining screw, grabbed the brake fully, tightened the retaining screw and PERFECTION. When I watched the YouTube video on how to adjust them I was thinking no way is it going to be that easy. Well it was!

Actually I think one of the most interesting things they have done is that newfangled 11-34 tooth freewheel. It gets around a lot of the limitations of a traditional 7-speed for an e-bike (where the low is not low enough and the high gear is not high enough).

I will be very interested in hearing how those work out for people.

I'm curious how they work as well, I see they come standard on the 2019 Radrover, I think it's a good upgrade. I purchased a freewheel 7 speed 11-34 on Amazon that I'll put on one of my bikes, likely my Voltbike Yukon which comes with a 7 speed freewheel set which is 14-28 I believe.

I've been using an 11-34 for nearly a year now on my '18 Rad City. I don't see ANYTHING not to like about it! Where prior to making that mod I rode around in 5th, 6th, and 7th almost exclusively, with the new gear I use 3, 4 5 6, and 7. Much more versatile in that it supplies a wider range of gears you'll use frequently. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOD on the older bikes, and can just about guarantee the fact you'll love the new bikes that come this way for the way they are geared.

I've been using an 11-34 for nearly a year now on my '18 Rad City. I don't see ANYTHING not to like about it! Where prior to making that mod I rode around in 5th, 6th, and 7th almost exclusively, with the new gear I use 3, 4 5 6, and 7. Much more versatile in that it supplies a wider range of gears you'll use frequently. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOD on the older bikes, and can just about guarantee the fact you'll love the new bikes that come this way for the way they are geared.

Good to hear, thanks.

Back