New Nevo uses Basil l MIK rear rack

Dionigi

Region
USA
City
Santa Cruz & Pittsburgh
As if it’s not hard enough to find Racktime baskets and trunk bags for exsisting R&M bikes the 2019 R&M Nevo GX and GT will be equipped with Basil MIK system. Basil has absolutely no presence in the USA.

My 2018 R&M Roadster has a pretty conventional rack that fits Ortlieb and other panniers without issue. I tried many of the R&M models and money wasn't the deciding factor. Their entry level bike was a lot lighter and simpler than the giant higher level offerings and it rides as close to a conventional bike as any e-bike I've ridden. New / extra features can be nice. Or they can be more than is necessary. Keep it simple.

My 2018 R&M Roadster has a pretty conventional rack that fits Ortlieb and other panniers without issue. I tried many of the R&M models and money wasn't the deciding factor. Their entry level bike was a lot lighter and simpler than the giant higher level offerings and it rides as close to a conventional bike as any e-bike I've ridden. New / extra features can be nice. Or they can be more than is necessary. Keep it simple.
My complaint is a system change from a proven system. I have 2 R&M bikes with the Racktime system and ordered 2 more bikes, one would be delivered with the Racktime system and one with the Basil. The panniers are not the issue the rack top quick release is the issue. We use baskets to carry groceries and camera equipment. A new system means losing the interchange between bikes and the need to store more stuff. The purchase price of the basket and trunk bag is incidental.

My complaint is a system change from a proven system.

One factor is that a company like RM simply is not interested in its user base. Their view is that the end user is a dealer problem. But the dealers are more interested in sales and often located far away. Buying online is only for a brave soul, IMO.

A second factor is their specific disinterest in the “aftermarket.” Optimally, two rack options would be available, old and new style. It’s a small touch that would indicate appreciation for the third-time buyer such as yourself.

I compare this experience to the time I made modifications to a (mechanical) Bianchi for touring. The rep for the distributor stopped by the shop and took pictures to get an idea of how end users were using this model. Just a completely different experience.

Racktime stoped allowing Riese & Muller to integrate their system into their racks so R&M is switching to the MIK system which is more open source.

Both Racktime & Basil now have distribution partners in the US and we have parts in stock if anyone needs, but most shops should have access. JB Importers is the distributor for Racktime and Hawley Lambert is the distributor for Basil/MIK.

I hope this helps.

Racktime stoped allowing Riese & Muller to integrate their system into their racks so R&M is switching to the MIK system which is more open source.

Both Racktime & Basil now have distribution partners in the US and we have parts in stock if anyone needs, but most shops should have access. JB Importers is the distributor for Racktime and Hawley Lambert is the distributor for Basil/MIK.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Chris i’ll Call your shop an order the Basil basket

My Nevo GH (2018 model, not the new 2019 model with tube battery) was also delivered with the MIK system. Seems they do a quite radical and fast shift here.

I do not have the compatibility issue with other bikes and my LBS installed the MIK adapter on my Rixen&Kaul bag when I picked the bike up.

For my money I would have been much happier if R&M just provided eyelets that were compatible with Tubus Racks and be done with it.

To update the Racktime/Basil MIK adapter issue. I was able to purchase, from Propel, the Basil MIK adapter and mount it onto a Racktime basket. The Racktime adapter has the same mounting hole spacing as the Basil MIK so you only need to replace adapters to use your exsisting Racktime, or older Ortlieb, rear rack trunk bags or baskets.

I hope this helps.
HI Chris can I ask your opinion? Would either of these forks be agood upgrade over the Suntour NCX on a Nevo ? IF not what so you suggest that would be compatible?https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/manitou-mattoc-comp-forks-boost-15mm-axle/rp-prod178213 or this FOX https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/fox-suspension-32-float-fit4-performance-fork-2016/rp-prod143968 thanks in advance Steve Mercier

Back