new member- Central Maine

andyebiker

Region
USA
I have been an avid bike rider for 60 plus yrs.. Got an ebikling kit from family members 4 yrs ago and it it transformed my bike riding in hilly central Maine. I put it on a Trek 7200 which is the most comfortable bike I have ridden. It is a front wheel motor and i just use the throttle when needed. I never connected the PAS system. I have a 48 volt 20 amp battery and wondering about getting a 30 amp to increase my distance.

Welcome to the forum.
I picked up a trek 7200 used last holiday season for my brother's house. He had bicycles, just sized for his legs which are 6" longer than mine. There is beautiful bicycle weather in Houston Dec 15-30. This 7200 is a 16", not used much by the previous owner's wife. The shifter on the 7200 is the best thumb shifter I have ever used. I wish it was a drop frame; At age 73 I have to set it on the ground to clear the top bar.
I have 17.5 AH 48 v on my front hub motor bike in hilly So. Indiana, see left. It is good for about 30 miles and 77 hills. Shuts down in the middle of the steepest of the last 15 hills. Fortunately it restarts if I shut off the throttle and try again. It is 5 1/2 years old. Maybe next time I will buy 21 AH as the route is fixed between my city house and summer camp.

It is a front wheel motor and i just use the throttle when needed. I never connected the PAS system
What if you went with a mid-drive torque sensor system? Ditching the thumb in favor of the foot, like a Tesala? Push foot = Go now, no lag. With the foot instead of the thumb? Wouldn't that be more natural and intuitive? The motor would then be shiftable by pulling chain through the gears. The bike could then climb and not have lag, surge and lurch, or over-run, and would be legal anywhere. Not an unlawful throttle only electric motorcycle everywhere that cannot go on bike paths or in bike lanes anywhere. If you have a private ranch and want a sucky bike, than fine, keep it there. We will all be safe.

Back