Another new old guy - new ebike!

StuGuy

Region
USA
Hello All! I'm a new member and happy to have found EBR and its forums. I'm a very recently retired 68 y.o. from Central NJ. A few years ago, I used a Swytch front hub ebike conversion kit to transform an old Giant hardtail into an ebike. Arthritis was making it hard to swing my leg over the seat to mount and dismount the bike in traditional fashion, so to celebrate my retirement and give myself motivation to get out on the trail as much as possible, I dove fully into ebiking this year and bought a Bulls low step bike (the Iconic Evo 1 Wave 750, the same model reviewed on the main EBR website on June 29, 2023). I ride mostly on rail trails, hard pack gravel roads and tow paths. So far, I'm very happy with the bike and have logged just shy of 500 miles since I bought it a few months ago. At the same time my wife picked up a Trek Verve+ 4 low step, which she rides mostly on pavement and tow path. We're thrilled to have the bikes and be outdoors and getting in good rides without fear of hills. Ebiking (and for us, the low step or step through frame design) opens up the biking world to those of us who are more senior and/or less fit. I'm looking forward to being a part of the ebiking community at EBR Forums!

Attachments

• Bulls Iconic Wave.jpg
    Bulls Iconic Wave.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 165
... We're thrilled to have the bikes and be outdoors and getting in good rides without fear of hills. Ebiking (and for us, the low step or step through frame design) opens up the biking world to those of us who are more senior and/or less fit. I'm looking forward to being a part of the ebiking community at EBR Forums!
Welcome aboard! Many seniors with similar sentiments around here, myself included.

I've come to view my ebike as workaround for many common barriers to riding.
o Funky knees or poor fitness blocking a return to cycling?
o Hills keeping you from tackling an otherwise tempting ride?
o Time or distance constraints keeping you from riding from A to B instead of driving?
o Car or pedestrian traffic keeping you off certain routes?

The right ebike can lower all these barriers — the last by getting you through some of the dicier spots with sudden bursts of speed.

Jeremy - Yes, you're spot on.

And thanks to those who sent a "Welcome" or a thumbs up to my intro email!

Hello All! I'm a new member and happy to have found EBR and its forums. I'm a very recently retired 68 y.o. from Central NJ. A few years ago, I used a Swytch front hub ebike conversion kit to transform an old Giant hardtail into an ebike. Arthritis was making it hard to swing my leg over the seat to mount and dismount the bike in traditional fashion, so to celebrate my retirement and give myself motivation to get out on the trail as much as possible, I dove fully into ebiking this year and bought a Bulls low step bike (the Iconic Evo 1 Wave 750, the same model reviewed on the main EBR website on June 29, 2023). I ride mostly on rail trails, hard pack gravel roads and tow paths. So far, I'm very happy with the bike and have logged just shy of 500 miles since I bought it a few months ago. At the same time my wife picked up a Trek Verve+ 4 low step, which she rides mostly on pavement and tow path. We're thrilled to have the bikes and be outdoors and getting in good rides without fear of hills. Ebiking (and for us, the low step or step through frame design) opens up the biking world to those of us who are more senior and/or less fit. I'm looking forward to being a part of the ebiking community at EBR Forums!

Hello StuGuy,
Welcome to EBR...Great looking bike, love the color ! ...and you your wife's Trek, another great bike ! What's with the 'Old Guy Stuff. ' 68 ? : ) You're a youngin.
I bought the first of my two ebikes when I was 70, I'm 76, soon to be 77 and approaching 11,000 miles. Every ride, even the one earlier yesterday was is like the first time.
E-bikes and Rail Trails never get old ! Like you, I ride mostly rail trails, not many hard pack gravel roads or tow paths in my area.

Check back in often as miles roll by,
John

Hello StuGuy,
Welcome to EBR...Great looking bike, love the color ! ...and you your wife's Trek, another great bike ! What's with the 'Old Guy Stuff. ' 68 ? : ) You're a youngin.
I bought the first of my two ebikes when I was 70, I'm 76, soon to be 77 and approaching 11,000 miles. Every ride, even the one earlier yesterday was is like the first time.
E-bikes and Rail Trails never get old ! Like you, I ride mostly rail trails, not many hard pack gravel roads or tow paths in my area.

Check back in often as miles roll by,
John
John - that distance is an impressive achievement. And an inspiration! Thanks for the note.

Welcome to EBR. I am always surprised by the number of intro threads with "old guy/gal" in the title. Then they find out that many of the members here are even older. :p

Welcome to EBR. I am always surprised by the number of intro threads with "old guy/gal" in the title. Then they find out that many of the members here are even older. :p
I cannot wait for someone starting with "relatively young" :) It looks I with my age of 62 belong to the Forum juniors! :)

Back