New LMT’d - who’s in?

It was my first too. Save all of your packing and box. It took me a few hours to re-pack it. they told me it looked like I never un-packed it. They are good with returns so you don't have much to lose except shipping cost. From Florida it was $140 with $1500 insurance.

It appears that they went back to only 5 PAS settings and may not allow the ability to change to 9 PAS settings
The manual I linked to in my earlier post states:
◆Power Assist Level Settings Power Assist Level Options Power Set represents power assist-level settings. In assist level settings ,there are 8 modes for your choice:0-3, 1-3, 0-5, 1-5, 0-7, 1-7, 0-9, 1-9. The default value is 0-5

So, it looks like you should still be able to adjust the number of assist levels, unless there's something about the LMT'D that doesn't allow for it. But the LCD shows the support.

Last edited:
It was my first too. Save all of your packing and box. It took me a few hours to re-pack it. they told me it looked like I never un-packed it. They are good with returns so you don't have much to lose except shipping cost. From Florida it was $140 with $1500 insurance.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. @wings02 I think I read that you returned because you disliked the torque sensor, at least how it interacted with the motor. Are you planning on getting one with cadence sensor? I am just curious to understand other's thoughts on this very big and blurry topic. Seems like it depends on who you ask in some instances, but I also think it may be different from bike to bike based on the reviews I have read on different brands.

I am looking at Juiced CrossCurrent S2 mostly because it has both torque and Cadence sensors. I'm a little leary with the Juice brand because of the QC issues I have read.
The 700 is definitely in the mix. I think Ride1UP did a good job with the Limited, I just didn't care for the Torque sensor set-up. They seem to be a great company and very attentive to their customers needs.

I've been researching for a few months. From what I have experienced R1up and Rad both have very good customer service, I just prefer the attention to design detail that R1up offers. For me, if the LMTD doesn't work out its going to be the 700.

This thread really helped me out. Thanks @Lumpydog for the post, and the detailed information especially regarding the torque sensor. Glad to hear you worked through it and made it work, but I came to the conclusion after ordering the LMT'D that it was not right for me as I live in a mostly flat area.

I wrote an email to R1up and they even said for my application a cadence sensor would be best. Ride1up has been outstanding in customer service response time and the professionalism. I just changed my order to the 500 series, as I wanted to keep the light (low 50's) weight, and it gets great reviews. The main thing I am giving up on my checklist is hydraulic brakes, but I see that as a luxury. I can upgrade components on the 500 as needed, first thing will be the handlebars getting switched to a cafe style like the LMT'D offers.

Great forum, thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: BET
Crohnie, I wouldn't cancel unless you have an immediate alternative which is superior to the LMT'D. Shipping on all bikes these days is still uncertain and largely out of the owner's control. I canceled an order for a 700 for my wife, for a similar delay. I was irritated, but it's really not Ride1Up's fault. I ended up getting a different bike that ended up being delivered after the delayed Ride1Up. If I had it to do over again, I would have stuck with Ride1Up. They make great products at great prices and have an honorable owner.

The additional wait is well worth it for the LMT'D. I would be disappointed if I had received one of the LMT'Ds previously shipped. One person even returned it for an issue that will be resolved in the new shipments.

It will include the newer controller, which provides much better torque sensor PAS response, and the new KD218 LCD, which has additional configuration settings, a change in the kickstand location, an improvement to throttle operation in all assist levels, and a frame grommet for cables. Well worth the wait for them to get these changes implemented.

I may go with my original choice, Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000. It's a lot more expensive than the LMT'D, but it has superior performance and all the features that I'm looking for... and then some. It has a mid-August delivery date. Biktrix also has a good reputation and has been around longer than Ride1UP. Maybe if more people cancelled, Ride1 UP would start honoring their delivery dates.
LOL ... "Indecision is the key to flexibility"

Put that order in GenX. You'll receive your Limited in plenty of time to send out Christmas cards of you posing with your new bike and a blanket of snow in the background!

The additional wait is well worth it for the LMT'D. I would be disappointed if I had received one of the LMT'Ds previously shipped. One person even returned it for an issue that will be resolved in the new shipments.

It will include the newer controller, which provides much better torque sensor PAS response, and the new KD218 LCD, which has additional configuration settings, a change in the kickstand location, an improvement to throttle operation in all assist levels, and a frame grommet for cables. Well worth the wait for them to get these changes implemented.

Provided these come to fruition, it's pretty impressive how much improvement they made between batches. Juiced is notorious for not addressing non-critical issues for years (like chains dropping, to which they finally addressed with a $2 chainkeeper many months later). Another upside to delivery on demand vs buying a year's worth of bikes upfront as traditional brands do.

Now if only they'd do multiple sizes...

Ordered the LMT’D (before price bump - and also got $40 off for taking the Ride1Up pledge). The LMT’D checked the boxes on what I was looking for. I've been looking at getting an electric bike for 8-9 months and have been reading/lurking on these forums - thank you all for the excellent content. I've watched WAY too many Youtube reviews by Court and many many others. I looked at the BIG brand names (Trek, Giant, Specialized) and they have some really nice products but the price they are asking is a huge premium over their scrappy start-up DTC competition. I could buy one of the brand names - but the price premium on those bikes is about dealer support and distribution/inventory carrying. I don't need to buy into either. I'm capable and know my way around torque wrenches, spoke wrenches, electronics, etc, etc. Putting a bike together and keeping it running is actually fun for me. Others may need the support - if you do, go brand name/dealer.

I've looked closely at Rad and Juiced - and the other "bigger but not quite ubiquitous brand names". They sell some nice products. Rad was less expensive - I liked the Rad Rover but it came with a lot of compromises - cadence sensors, spring forks and cable/mechanical brakes - I like those Seattle guys story and respect their products. I also really like Juiced - they seem to be the leader on the disruptive e-bike block. I looked at the RipCurrent for a long time. I like their battery development and I like their torque sensors. But their frame design is very "me too" and not inspiring - it looks like a bike with a battery bolted onto it - they could do better in that regard but they seem to favor battery size over design - a lot of people will agree with that philosophy and go that way - nothing wrong with that, distance matters. Juiced prices are leaning toward being steep - especially their batteries - $1300 for a replacement battery? What the AF? No question, there is a need/demand for what Juiced sells and people will rationalize buying Into the Juiced system where replacement batteries costs $1000+ alone - I'm not one of them. I appreciate Rad and Juiced products and I know they cover market segments that will keep them in business. Really nice bikes.

Why did I decide on a Ride1up bike? Short answer is value. I really liked their 700 series design - I prefer an integrated battery - I like low profile/inconspicuous. I don't need to announce - HEY I'M ON AN E-BIKE! The 700 series has a LOT going for it. Really nice looking bike - with air shocks and hydraulic brakes at a super competitive price. But... my research on eBikes put a premium on torque sensor vs cadence sensor. The latter is what the 700 is equipped with and at the price, that makes sense. The lack of a torque sensor on the 700 made me hesitate as I was willing to hold out for torque sensing and pay more. I'm not using my bike as a commuter bike so battery longevity/range was not critical (but it's still important). I don't ride in the rain or wet weather so I don't need fenders (would have removed them from the RipCurrent). I don't ride at night so I don't need lights... I primarily ride during daylight to get around town in good weather. A rack is a necessity... I wish the LMT’d included one!

The LMT'd builds on what I like about the 700 - while taking away some things I didn’t need. you get the Integrated battery/bike design, hydraulic brakes, air shocks, nice/color display (rebadged Luna 500c) and most important, torque sensing. It will be interesting to see if the latter is well implemented and is worth some of the things the bike trades off (marginally) to keep the price low - like off-brand (but dependable) components (Mxus, Tektro) and lower end levels of big name brands (Shimano). Along with not including fenders, lights and a rack. (It’s easy enough to add these though- I’ll add a rack). Another big plus is a standard battery design (Reention) that can be independently sourced at a reasonable price. Seeing them for under $400 online - I’m hoping Ride1Up sells replacement batteries locally from the states. Last but not least - 51lbs… Not a feather weight but pretty damn light for an e-bike at this price.

it will be interesting to see the uptake on this bike. They already increased the price less than 48 hours after releasing it. Sales must be good...
Great story. Thanks for posting. My sentiments also, except for "torque". I'm doing the 700.

"All LMT'D bikes are now scheduled to ship between Sept 1st - Sept 10th."

I wish I had seen this email earlier. My LMT'D was scheduled to ship August 15th. Really thinking about cancelling my order. Not happy. Not happy at all.
As others said delays in shipping e bikes are common and not the fault of the seller. We ordered two bikes from two different companies in May with projected June delivery dates. Both companies pushed the date back twice. We recieved both in July. Customs and carrier delays can also hold shipments up.

Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the bike company. If a company has doubts about the delivery date, don't advertise that date. Maybe if more people cancelled their orders, the on time performance would improve. There are MANY ebike manufacturers from which to choose and many of them are now meeting their deadlines. A new company like RIDE1UP cannot afford to miss deadlines. If they do, people will simply buy from their competitors.
Relax. Like I said, you're getting a better bike because of this delay.

Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the bike company. If a company has doubts about the delivery date, don't advertise that date. Maybe if more people cancelled their orders, the on time performance would improve. There are MANY ebike manufacturers from which to choose and many of them are now meeting their deadlines. A new company like RIDE1UP cannot afford to miss deadlines. If they do, people will simply buy from their competitors.
Not if they have no competition in their price,looks and features range. I'll wait. AND it costs $45 to cancel :eek:

1597352373842.png

Last edited:
You're right. I am getting a better bike because of this delay...from a different company. I'll be spending twice as much, but getting better components, a more powerful engine, longer warranty, more torque, rack, fenders, lights, etc.
If that makes you feel better, by all means, go for it. It's also a much heavier bike, and the mid-drive will wear out the chain and other drive components faster with that "more powerful" engine. Those are considered wear and tear items and aren't covered by that extended warranty.

The Lady doth protest too much, me agrees!
Golf course, golf course, wherefore Art thou golf course
Just sayin

And...what would you have R1UP do? They publish their business model. They don't stock bikes. They're dependent on the info their supplier provides. They tell you this going in. They even give themselves a 3 month window. Do you want them to stock bikes? It should cost you an extra $1000 for that convenience. I get the feeling they're doing the best they can - especially with China and US relations going down the tubes. I hope I get a bike before the US shuts off the China supply chain. I'm OK with waiting. If I want to up the $$$ I'm willing to pay, I could buy a bike off the shelf today. I'm going to stick with R1UP.

Back